Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] true added to the end of a character parameter

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] true added to the end of a character parameter
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I am passing a character value to a HTML page. All of the fex's on the page run correctly, but the value in the object that displays the value passed has "true" added to the end of the value. For example if the value passed was B1111. It would display B1111true. I even tried to do a trim and that does not work. I believe it is an unreadable character stuck at the end of the value. Has anyone seen this before.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jay Potter,

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How are you "passing a character value to a HTML page"?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I have a fex create the parameter and then call the html page or via a menu option on a report, I pass the value via the fex to the html page.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jay, I'm not sure I understand. A fex creates a parameter. How is the HTML page called? Via -HTMLFORM html_page.htm? Some other manner?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
-HTMLFORM ItemScreen.HTM

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
And how is the variable value used in this HTML page?

This is difficult to debug without seeing any code.
quote:
I am passing a character value to a HTML page. All of the fex's on the page run correctly, but the value in the object that displays the value passed has "true" added to the end of the value. For example if the value passed was B1111. It would display B1111true. I even tried to do a trim and that does not work. I believe it is an unreadable character stuck at the end of the value. Has anyone seen this before.
From this description we can't tell how this variable value is being used in the HTML page. Are you using
!IBI.AMP.varname;
What kind of control? etc.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes I use the !IBI.AMP.varname; format for the value of a text object.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
I assume this is an HTML Composer GUI designed HTML page? If so, the documentation states that !IBI.AMP and !IBI.FIL and -HTMLFORM are not supported, despite the fact that almost everyone is doing it. How are you placing the !IBI.AMP? Do you have quotes around the variable? it should look something like this:

<INPUT style="Z-INDEX: 122; POSITION: absolute; OVERFLOW-Y: visible; WIDTH: 135px; HEIGHT: 22px; OVERFLOW: visible; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 5px"
id=edit1 tabIndex=914 value=!IBI.AMP.P_BM_REF; hspace=0 size=8 defaultselection="1" persistentuniqueid="compUid_44"
defaultlocation="0,0,22,147" boundtovariable="1" requiredfield="1" name="edit1"></SPAN> 

The problem with this:

If you're using the GUI and typing !IBI.AMP.varname; into the Value attribute of the control - the generated HTML does not include any quotes around the value, so if there's a blank in the middle of the value, the control could break. This may not be occurring in your case since the value is B1111. Have you viewed the source and looked at the HTML line that contains B1111?

Meanwhile, when there is a blank in the middle of the value, if you add the quotes to the control Value, it will not break, so the Value would look like: "!IBI.AMP.varname;" - these quotes get sent to the HTML.

The approved method of using the GUI: Create the HTML page using the GUI; Control values that must be retrieved from data should come from embedded or external procedures; Run the HTML page rather than a fex that calls the HTML page...

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen "funnies" like this in the past in these scenarios:
- If e.g. -READ is used to populate the amper-variable, and the length that specified on the -READ is larger than the value/field, it reads the characters of the next field
- If -READ reads data created by ON TABLE HOLD (instead of ON TABLE SAVE) and it was not formatted as FORMAT ALPHA, then there may be binary data
- The data being read actually has a "funny" character captured in it e.g. tab or line break
- The HTML code in the -HTMLFORM is translated to something "invalid" after the !IBI.AMP.varname; references are resolved (right-click / view source when viewing the HTML page and check for missing tags, quotes etc.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is what my code looks like.

I tried having the menu option call the html page directly. It did the same thing.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't see any code. Please put your code between
[code]
code goes here
[/code]

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Twannette, that is expected behavior.
Remember, &vars are not sitting in a database in a reserved space; They are in memory, taking up only how much space they need, and whatever is sitting next to them in memory can/will be rubbish to your app.
Commands like TRUNCATE and ARLGEN and .LENGTH become very useful for managing these memory variables

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,
Thanks. Yes, I know that.
I was hoping that one of the scenarios that I listed may actually assist Jay in debugging his problem.

Jay, I think you'll need to post the code that you're using to populate the variable as well as the HTML - as per Francis's instructions. We'll need to "see" what you're doing.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This case says "CLOSED". What is the solution for this issue?

Is it a expected behaviour in devstudio html page?

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes it was a dev studio html page.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Guru
posted Hide Post
The expert room at the conference could not figure it out. I will be rebuilding the html page and testing it as I go to see if the behavoir happens again and at what point.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Guru
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, if you use -READFILE instead of READ, do you get the same results? We tend to use -READFILE since you don't have to specify variable formats, the variables are called the same as the columns, you don't have to hold the tables as alpha, etc.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everybody,

I believe I have seen a similar behaviour on one or several of my html pages in the past with 7.7.03. I believe it happened when WF Javascript got "confused" whenever parameters for a HTML page were submitted via GET or POST + the same varnames where also contained in the resp. WF cookie.
I am not sure if this is the same problem that produced Jays bug. I do not remember exactly where the problem occured in JS but I think it was in ibirls3.js somewhere in getAmperValue where the value for an & was constructed.

Workaround: Rewrite IBIs whole JS Wink

WebFOCUS 7.7.03

posted Hide Post
Please... is there any clue of what you have done in that js?

Is there any other way to solve it?

I?ve got this issue since the very moment I updated my versión of DS, Client and Reporting Server. I cant believe this issue can´t be fixed by IBI.

WF 8.1
Windows Server 2008
SQL Server 2012

Posts: 24 | Registered: September 04, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
No this hasn't been fixed. They could even figure it out what is causing it. Fortunately it does not come up in often. If you find out what the issue is, I would be happy to find out. Did you just change to version 8? And are you using 8.0.8 or 8.1.0?

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster