Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Create metadata problem - LONGCHAR and _siteprof in v7.6.5

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Create metadata problem - LONGCHAR and _siteprof in v7.6.5
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have the following command in both edasprof.prf and a fex that is designated the site profile in site.wfs:

SQL SQLMSS SET CONVERSION LONGCHAR ALPHA

And yet the metadata for the MS SQL Server tables is generated with AnV fields.

What do I have to do to get alpha field definitions? I even select the Customize data type mappings setting for Longchar as ALPHA.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SQL SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ginny.

It's curious that on v5.3 I don't have that coded anywhere, but the metadata is generated with An fields, but in v7.6. they're generated with AnV.

I'll add the command to my site profile, but I do wonder about this change in behaviour.

Thanks,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Without SQL SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF coded anywhere:

FIELDNAME=REGION, ALIAS=Region, USAGE=A50V, ACTUAL=A50V, MISSING=ON, $

With SQL SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF coded in site profile:

FIELDNAME=REGION, ALIAS=Region, USAGE=A50V, ACTUAL=A50V, MISSING=ON, $

With SQL SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF coded in edasprof.prf:

FIELDNAME=REGION, ALIAS=Region, USAGE=A50V, ACTUAL=A50, MISSING=ON, $

Why on earth would the USAGE be A50V?

The SQL Server column definition:

Column Name: Region
Data Type: varchar
Size: 50

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
The CREATE SYNONYM behaviour was changed from 5.x to 7.x. I think it is documented in a SoNF somewhere, probably in 7.1. It caused us a world of hurt as well. We wound up putting the command in edasprof for all of our relational adapters and, as you can see, we use pretty much all of them.

BTW, you need to refresh your master with the command in the profile before the change will take place. It wasn't obvious from your post that you did that.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ginny on recommending you put it in the edasprof. At my previous company we used a lot of SQL passthrus and every place we had a substring caused a problem.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I put it in edasprof.prf and then refreshed the masters. It changed the ACTUAL from AnV to An, but it left the USAGE as AnV. This sure seems like a bug because it should have, at the least, done the reverse.

Also, it's unbelievable this isn't an option in the field customization options section of the metadata generation screen, after all, decimal precision and other options are there.

By the way, there should also be a date-time conversion to date option... NFR I suppose.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Which 7.6.x are you using, Francis? I didn't have any problems with 7.6.2. In fact, I just re-gen'd about 8 masters last week and both the actual and the format were both An.

I may try this on 765 on my dev box to make sure that there isn't a problem.

Sounds like a bug to me.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

When you say you refreshed the masters, did you refresh existing masters, or delete the master and regen it from scratch (as Ginny mentioned)?

I believe we experienced different results when refreshing versus regening from scratch in some cases.

Not sure if this is applicable in your case though, but thought I'd mention it...

An issue with regening though is that you have to redo all custom formatting.

Sean

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smiths,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The behavior did indeed change at the 7.1.x release (and caused me considerable frustration.) I find it interesting that EVERYONE now has had to put this setting (VARCHAR=OFF) into their profiles in order for things to work properly - especially with JOINs. If everyone has to change the default value, maybe IBI should consider changing the default value to the one that people can actually use.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Good news!

I deleted all the metadata, ensured I had SQL SQLMSS SET VARCHAR OFF in edasprof.prf and generated new metadata. The new metadata does not have AnV fields.

I tried regenerating and refreshing the metadata and still no AnV.

Perhaps I had to restart the server after adding the VARCHAR command to edasprof.prf...

Francis