Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED WITHOUT RESOLUTION] B.I. Portal Resource Tree - where is the "Web"?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED WITHOUT RESOLUTION] B.I. Portal Resource Tree - where is the "Web"?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
On the default Portal page, in the Resource Tree panel on the left, you see all the possible options:

Content, Favorites, Mobile Favorites, Reporting Servers, Portals, CHange Management, Web.

On the Portal Designer page, Resource Tree tool does not have Web. How do add the Web option to a panel?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
What did you want to add ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I would like to see "Web" as a selectable section in the Resources panel of B.I.P. Portal Designer.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well,I guess either an NFR or nothing.

But, I was wondering if you could put something in content that would point to the Web items

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis

I hadn't noticed that before so I pinged the product manager as to why it does not show up. Here is his response.

"The web node does not show in a Portal because it doesn’t provide much value there. The web node is APPROOT on the web tier and only allows web content: CSS files, JS files, and HTML files."

So if you wanted something in the "Web" to be able to be used in the portal you could make a URL link in the content area pointing to /approot/foldername/htmlform.htm

Hope that helps.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
The web node does not show in a Portal because it doesn’t provide much value there. The web node is APPROOT on the web tier and only allows web content: CSS files, JS files, and HTML files.

I would have thought that as it is web content that it does add value, in fact as it is only web content it should be there.

The drawback is that an extra item needs to be added to content to point to another resource.

That is an extra step to get a resource.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
"The web node does not show in a Portal because it doesn’t provide much value there" - I think the whole internet works on the opposite theory.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz and Francis

I wanted to provide a little more insight. With WebFOCUS 8 there was a development paradigm shift and the recommended approach is to do all html and procedure development in the content area (stored in the repository) rather that in the application folders In a multi-tier environment (which is predominately how IBI customers are set up) where the Web tier and Reporting Server tier are on two separate machines the html forms developed in the applicaiton folders on the web machine do not have access to WebFOCUS procedures on the reporting server machine and that is why it was stated they didn't have much value. If it is a single tier environment then my approot example is valid in a multi-tier environment it is not. If this is something that is important to you a case can be opened asking for a new feature.

I hope this makes more sense.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Chuck, unfortunately, no amount of explaining the IBI paradigm will convince me to think differently.

I just don't understand what drives Information Builders to force individual developers to change their development methodology to suit the ideas of someone at IBI.

With one or more versions of Dev Studio 8, we found that using the GUI HTML Composer to reference JavaScript and CSS files, actually copied those files into the Repository folder that the HTML page is located in. Soon, we had twenty to fifty copies of jQuery, HighCharts and other JavaScript libraries. Wouldn't you consider that a nightmare to maintain?

To resolve this we were told to type TYPE in the Web Application path to the JavaScript libraries - this in a GUI interface.

Please tell me that in App Studio 8.1.05, the HTML Composer does not copy JavaScript and CSS files from the Web Applications area into the Repository, that we have a choice of what we want to do.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I just created an html form in the content area and referenced a css style sheet located in an application folder and it did not copy the css to the content area.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my explanation.

Regards,

Expert
posted Hide Post
I just created a new HTML page with HTML Composer in Dev Studio 8.0.08. I then used the GUI to add a CSS file and a JS file.

The following are the references that were added in the code by the GUI:

<LINK id=ITEM3 rel=stylesheet type=text/css rtFileName="/WFC/Repository/testing1/std_reports/FrancisMariani/Testing/fm_html_style.css">
<SCRIPT id=ITEM4 type=text/javascript rtFileName="accordion_override.js"></SCRIPT>

The CSS file was copied from the Web Application folder to the folder which is referenced by the rtFileName tag.

The JS file is referenced by the rtFileName tag without a path. It was not copied to the folder, but I don't know what copy of the file it references, since there is no path.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I did mine with App Studio 8.1.05M which is the version you asked about...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I hadn't done a view source of the html page when it ran. I just did that and I am wrong it did copy the css file to the repository and reference it. When I did a refresh decedents on the domain folder it does show up.

It behaves the same as Dev Studio..

My apoligies...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To go with Francis point...

I've created an HTML using HTML Composer under WF8105M, simply include a gif from the RS and the image has been copied into the Content.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Marting / Francis

I think the issue is that when you reference a reporting server object it should use /EDA/EDASERVE/baseapp/whatever.css as the reference but instead it copies it to the repository with a reference /WFC/Repository..

I think it would be worth opening a case and ask why it doesn't use /EDA/EDASERVE reference. I completely understand your concern about having objects copied and the maintenance issue it causes.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Chuck, thanks very much for your patience.

So, now that we've established that this occurs in Dev Studio v8.0.08 and App Studio v8.1.05M, my question is why? Why does it make sense to Information Builders to copy files from the Web Applications area to the Repository folder, every time an HTML page is created in a different folder in the Repository? Why instead don't they give more importance to the Web Applications area and just reference the files that are there? I don't want to open a case to just receive an answer to this question so hopefully I will receive one here.

Cheers,

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Chuck, it happens with Web Applications (/approot/common/test.css) as well as Reporting server.

This started in Dev Studio v7.7.03. I think it went away in Dev Studio v7.7.05. It's back in Dev Studio v8.0.08. I really don't think opening a case will make a difference.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I opened case 10913559 on April Fools Day 2014 and it was finally closed almost two years later, without a *real* resolution.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Case 12103522 was opened on Friday, November 7th, 2014 regarding an App Studio 8.0.08 issue. This same issue also occurs in Dev Studio 8.0.08 - pointing to a JS file in a Web Application folder renders code that does not specify a path AND the the JS file is not copied to the folder (which I don't want anyway). The case was closed without confirming that the next version of the software worked.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that the developer should be able to decide which way to point to resources in there environment.

They are the ones that know their set up and what should work best for it.

I sometimes think that the content area is just getting too complicated.

We have moved a lot of web files out of the content area, and put it in the web server. This was done for one main reason. To speed up page loading, and letting the browser do its job of caching files. We found that when web content is in the content area, it is always loaded, not retrieved from the browsers cache.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I'm also on App Studio 8.1.05M, and if I choose a CSS or JS file in the Settings pane, from the Web Applications area, the file is referenced, not copied. A link like the following is created:

<html_element rtFileName="/approot/my_app/my_css.css" bindcontrolid="LINK1" type="cssfile"/>
      <html_element rtFileName="/approot/my_app/my_js.js" bindcontrolid="SCRIPT1" type="script"/>

Annoyingly, App Studio destroys the JS link more often than not when the page is opened, and I have to put it back.

- Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi MathmaticalRob

That is interesting. Did you do this via the GUI on the Settings / Manage CSS and Scripts tab?

I am pursing this with techsupport and will update the post with what I find out.

Thanks,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,

Yes, that's correct.

Thanks,
Rob

WebFocus 8201m on Windows; App Studio 8201; Procedures: WebFocus with SQL; HTML Parameter Pages & Dashboard; Output: Excel, HTML, & PDF.

Posts: 88 | Location: MI | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
All my comments were about Dev Studio and App Studio v8.0.08. I haven't got the hang of App Studio yet so I have not tested creating an HTML Composer page in 8.1.05M.

I am eagerly awaiting an answer as to why someone decided to program the application to do this.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
All

Rob found the secret.. I was navigating to Data Servers / EDASERVE / Applications and then a folder. But when using Rob's technique of navigating to the Web Applications and then the app folder it does use the /approot/appfolder/whatever.css and does not copy the file. The same was true when I referenced an image the same way.

Thank you Rob!

Expert
posted Hide Post
I created a basic HTML page where I added one CSS and one JS file via the App Studio v8.1.05M GUI and it appears to have behaved.

However, I am concerned about MathRob's comment regarding a destroyed JS link.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've marked this as CLOSED, though I do not buy the explanation that "The web node does not show in a Portal because it doesn’t provide much value there. The web node is APPROOT on the web tier and only allows web content: CSS files, JS files, and HTML files". My guess is that someone forgot to put it in.

Francis