Focal Point
[closed] Right-most slicer truncated in groups of slicers

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5217049926

April 03, 2013, 08:44 PM
Moogle
[closed] Right-most slicer truncated in groups of slicers
Hi Team,

If I have a group of slicers, the right-most slicer is truncated by the frame of the group box when the report is run.

The work-around I have come up with is to put each slicer into a separate group, which avoids this issue. Single slicers to not seem to get truncated, only multiple slicers.

I'm comfortable with this work around, but that's because I don't think I fully understand what a group does... Something about clearing slicers? Something about chaining?

What is the story with the slicer groups, please?

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows
April 20, 2013, 10:42 PM
<MLerner>
In WebFOCUS 77x, we cascade together all Slicers. This guarantees records in your report, but if you slice on Year and then product the only way to know the products sold in that year is to look at the fact table. Thus performance can suffer drastically.

In WebFOCUS 8, we changed this. We only cascade together items defined in the metadata as a hierarchy. Unlike HTML composer the order of the cascade is dynamic. This guarantees that we do not look at the Fact table when filtering.

I too have seen the bug with the right most slicer. I believe programming is looking at this, but I recommend you open a case with support so they know a customer has seen this as well.

Thanks,
Matthew
May 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
Moogle
Hi Matt,

This explains the behaviour I was seeing this morning in InfoMini 8; I was able to choose combinations that resulted in no data. I thought it was probably related to a filter on a compute (WHERE TOTAL) in my report not kicking in until after the slicers loaded. Clearly it was actually the change that you just described.

There were two things I liked about slicers; non-hierarchical chaining and the inability to generate a report with no data. I understand about performance, of course, but I deal with users of varying levels of sophistication. Providing a tool that will never No Data at some of them was a win. I think I'd prefer it if there was an option to restore the WF7 behaviour.

In every other way, IA 8 is better than IA7.

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows