Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Subtotal Calculation Using EXL2k Formula

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Subtotal Calculation Using EXL2k Formula
 Login/Join

<Sanju>
posted
Hi All !

I am facing a very strange problem.....
I am trying to generate a report using EXL2k Formula....
For Ex:

Col1 Col2 Col3 col4=(c1*c2)-c3
2 5 6 4
5 7 4 31
It is giving me the Subtotal as:
10 12 10 110=(10*12-10)
But the subtotal for c4 should be sum(4,31)
i.e
35=sum(4,31)

I am using somethin like this...

Table File F1
print
Col1
Col2
Col3
Compute Col4=(Col1*Col2)-Col3;
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K FORMULA
end
I want to do this using EXL2k Formula....

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sanju,

Your report is doing exactly what you have told it to. e.g Col4 is a computed value using the column values on the same row.

If you want to total the columns then do that -

ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL

Although this might not work as a report in HTML would when using EXL2K FORMULA so you may have to resort to using FML (or matrix reporting) or move your compute into a DEFINE instead.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
e.g.
-

DEFINE FILE SANJU
col4/I9 = (col1 * col2) - col3;
END
TABLE FILE SANJU
PRINT * col4
-*COMPUTE col4/I9 = (col1 * col2) - col3;
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Maryellen>,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is fixed in 5.3.4 and 7.1.1. I ran into the same problem with COLUMN-TOTAL. I see that you have 7.1 in test. Can you verify that the fix is there, and if not, open a case with customer support at either 1-800-736-6130 or via inforesponse online at techsupport.ibi.com. You can certainly tell the tecnical rep that it was fixed for COLUMN=TOTAL and it should have been fixed for SUBTOTAL (as opposed to SUMMARIZE) AS WELL.

Posts: 60 | Location: 2 penn | Registered: May 22, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Noreen,

I can confirm that this is fixed in 7.1.1 (local dev with DS only) on Windows using my example code from above.

BTW. What do you think of the decision to include the folder views (HTML files, Maintain Files, Master Files etc.) under Data Servers / Applications? I must admit that I prefered the uncluttered state without them but understand that Maintain was not available (or I couldn't get it to work Frowner ).

I wish they had got the fix for the Undo ( original 7.1 case 12212003 : new 7.1.1 case 13082026) into 7.1.1. The "What's fixed" document said it was but alas no. In my humble opinion it is a serious flaw (for Developers Smiler ) in an otherwise excellent progression.

Hope you're keeping well.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Can you elaborate on the "Undo" problem?

We are about to install 7.1.1 since it fixes a number of problems we have with 5.3.2.

Thanks. Suzy

5.3.2 on Sun unix
no MRE
no RC
no MAINTAIN
just Dev Studio accessing unix files and self-serve from the browser

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Suzy,

I found the "Undo problem" in Dev Studio in 7.1 after install.

Basically, when you edit a fex in Dev Studio, make a few changes and then execute it (as we all do in development / testing!) the fex runs fine but when you look at your Dev Studio window and the edited fex, you will find that the "undo" button is greyed out and therefore unavailable Frowner . The changes haven't been saved as DS will prompt you to save your changes upon closing, but the fact that you can't get back to the original state other than by closing without saving is annoying at least and time consuming (not to mentioned totally irritating Razzer ).

I reported it in case 12212003 and it was immediately accepted as a bug (once it was confirmed) and I was assured that it had made it to 7.1.1. So obviously I checked it when I got 7.1.1 DS - but no luck Frowner .

On the positive side, I've not found any real processing problems (if any) with 7.1, but then I've not had enough free time to thrash it Smiler . I would say that, in my opinion (and repeat myself), it is the best progression of a release to date, since IB progressed from PC character FOCUS.

<Sanju>
posted
Tony,

Thanks abt the response....
But there is a small problem....

DEFINE FILE SANJU
col4/I9 = (col1 * col2) - col3;END
TABLE FILE SANJU
PRINT
* col4
-*COMPUTE col4/I9 = (col1 * col2) - col3;
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTALON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K FORMULAEND

In my example...
Col1 Col2 Col3 col4=(c1*c2)-c3
2 5 6 4
5 7 4 31

if I change 2 of row1 to 3 the Col4 should be 9...
If I change 5 of row2 to 10 the Col4 should be 66 for Row2...

Thats not hapenning now....

I am also using SUBTOTAL on some change some other quantity....

Can you please help me on that.....

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony.

I have installed 7.1.1 DevStudio running against 5.3.2 client/server/files on unix and I had noticed that the disk icon is always "active" when editing a file (never turns to gray when I do a cmd-S to save the file). I figured I couldn't report it as a bug since we are not at 7.1.1 for all components.

I'll do some more testing--with cmd-Z, for undo, as well, to see if that works--and add my virtual voice to your cases if the key combinations don't work.

Thanks for your continued help on this forum.

Suzy

Posts: 124 | Location: Lebanon, New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Suzy,

You're welcome - if we all help then the product can only continue to improve (no I'm not an IB employee).

Sanju,

If I make your data changes in my example then the results produced reflect those expected so it must be something to do with the code you are running. A more precise example might help.

Try and reflect your requirement using the GGSALES file (or another IB provided sample). Doing this is beneficial in two ways -
1. Everyone has access (or should have) to the sample files and can run your code without change to see the effect you are experiencing - thus making it easier for anyone to assist you.
2. If the problem turns out to be a possible bug then you only have to provide IB with your example code showing the bug for them to see it. They also have access to the sample files.

This is true for anyone raising a query on this forum and might aide in the eventual help coming more quickly (by understanding the problem earlier?).

For instance -

DEFINE FILE CAR
SOMETHING/D6 = (LENGTH * WIDTH) - HEIGHT;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT LENGTH
WIDTH
HEIGHT
SOMETHING
-* COMPUTE SOMETHING/D6 = (LENGTH * WIDTH) - HEIGHT;
BY CAR SUBTOTAL AS 'Total'
BY MODEL
END

Also when you say "that is not happening now" - then what is happening? If they're not showing as 9 and 66 then what are they showing as?

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,

Tony, thank you for the positive comments of release 71 and our apologies for the mishap of case 12212003 (Undo not available after running a request).
Unfortunately this issue was not corrected in 711 although it was identified as fixed.
This case will be added to the list of mandatory issues that must be fixed for the upcoming SPs 712 & 713.

For the view of applications under the Data Servers area, you can change the view back to the original flat physical view through an option in the Object Explorer toolbar that gets enabled when you select an application (icon has folders and tooltip: “Show/Hide Application Virtual folders”).

As for 713, it will contain many improvements over 711 and the option to automatically save procedures is removed. This will address many other issues related to saving of files and other inconsistencies and the Save option will function similar to other Windows applications.

Regards,
Dimitri Poulos

Posts: 66 | Location: New York | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dimitri, I look forward to the next SP as I tend not to use the inbuilt editor because I find the Undo problem most frustrating.

On the subject of the SPs do you have any projected timings?

Regards

Tony

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,

We don’t have fixed dates for the upcoming SPs, but we have set a target to make 712 available end of December and 713 targeted for Jan/Feb 2006 (713 in addition to bug fixes includes many new features w/ emphasis on SAP BW data analysis and a new reporting feature called Active Reports.)
713 Beta programs are now available (1st beta is available for Dev Studio) and I encourage your participation.

Will keep you posted with the status of the Undo issue.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitri,

I would sign up for the Beta testing program but as a contractor all my work would be at any of my client's sites and therefore I do not have site code etc. Apart form that it would be difficult to justify spending time on a client site beta testing s/w at their expense!!

I am more than happy to install a beta of DS on one of my own company machines, but am not sure IB would like that?

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony, I understand your situation.
The Beta program is available to customers, require a site code and access to the Tech Support site for registration.

BTW, I just noticed a comment by Suzy in this discussion related to the Save button.
We need do some research on this and see if it is a standard Windows implementation as I have noticed that other MS Office tools: Word, Excel and other editors behave the same way: Save icon is always enabled regardless if changes are made or if a save is already performed.
I would prefer some indication when a file is modified and disable the save button when changes are not made.
In the FOCUS Editor, Procedure Viewer and some other tools we do place a mark: “*” in the title bar to indicate that a file is modified.
The Master File Tool is the only tool in the product where Save is disabled when changes are not made or when changes are saved.

Regards,
Dimitri

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dimitri,

Perhaps the beta testing by Contractors is something that IB might want to look at? I know that at a few other Clients in my travels I have suggested that they look at WebFOCUS as an alternative to their use of BO (OK I've washed out my mouth nowSmiler) and I know that other Contractors in the UK have done similar. To a certain extent we're unpaid sales people.

The Contractor resource (certainly in the UK at least) probably accounts for the vast majority of the expertise and experience in WebFOCUS.

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dimitri

We have opened case 13222031 about the disk icon not being grayed-out in 7.1.1. The behavior in 5.3.2 is preferred. That is, when the file has been saved, the visual cue of the grayed-out icon is very useful.

We often edit a file in DevStudio, then test using self-serve. When unexpected results are returned, a quick check of the disk icon may reveal that the file wasn't saved before the run. Without the visual cue, it's hard to know!

Our setup is different for self-serve users than it is for DevStudio users, so that's why it's important for us to test both paths to the fex.

Suzy

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tony,
You have a very good point and I also think expanding the Beta program adds value and benefits everyone. I will discuss this with the Beta team coordinators and management.

Hi Suzy,
I had not realized there was a change in behavior for the Save/Undo option between 53x and 7x.
I have asked CSS to move this case to the WebFOCUS group and we will attempt to correct properly for the upcoming 7x SPs.

Regards,
Dimitri