Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] reporting objects - filters and dynamic where

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] reporting objects - filters and dynamic where
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

Brand new to the world of reporting objects, please bear with me! I'd like to take the value of a filter that the user has selected at run time and use that value to dynamically populate values in the where drop-down list?

i.e, If using the car file, my user only wants to see data for cars that have 2 seats and has selected the filter for 2 seats. Now, I'd like to present them with a drop-down list of countries on the parameter selection page, but only include those countries that have cars with 2 seats.

In the reporting object where statements component I'd like to reference the value of the filter and then pull the correct values from a dynamic list. Just not sure how to tie the filter value to the where statement, if it's even possible.

thanks for any help in advance.. much appreciated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Dev Studio 8.1.0.4, App Studio 8.1.5m, Reporting Server 8.1.4, InfoAssist, Active Technologies, Windows 2003 Server, Windows7

Posts: 20 | Location: Wheaton College | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If I understand your need : you want to filter the Countries based on Seats selection and both from the same Reporting Object (RO) ?

A RO cannot filter itself based on its own filter selection. You can have multiple selection, but not related one to the other.

What you are asking for is a "chained control" and this is available from HTML not RO. As far as I know...

You need to create an XML file with possible value then create two controls in HTML where both refer to the same XML fex file then have them chained.
It is possible that TechSupport will become you better option to help on how to accomplish the above since it may be a little difficult to explain all the steps here.

Sample of XML fex file wich display Countries according to number of Seats :
TABLE FILE CAR
BY SEATS
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, you're right Martin. I was trying to use the filter selection and then populate the where statement based on the filter. I couldn't see any way to do it using the tool but wasn't sure if anyone had a way around that.

The reporting object functionality seems to have very little documentation and I can't find any samples so it's just been a bit of a struggle to put all the pieces together.

thanks for your help with this Martin.

Dev Studio 8.1.0.4, App Studio 8.1.5m, Reporting Server 8.1.4, InfoAssist, Active Technologies, Windows 2003 Server, Windows7

Posts: 20 | Location: Wheaton College | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There seems to be plenty of doc here:

https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...eb_based_tools51.htm

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, this is not something that you can perform using RO.

You must create chained controls and use HTML Composer.

If you are referring to Filter Group to have pre-defined WHERE condition, refer to Babak link to documentation under "Filters"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MartinY,

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post