Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Computed Fields in Double list Box

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Computed Fields in Double list Box
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
This is my first time developing a guided report. I'm required to allow the users to select sum fields that are computed. I read that computed fields can not be included in the double list box. The calculation has to be done at the group by level - which they will be able to select too. What I'm trying to find out is how others have handled this. I know I must probably do some sort of HOLD table with the computes in them, just don't know how to get the user selected "group by fields" in this hold table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WEBFOCUS 7.14
WEBFOCUS.8.04

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Cathy,

Could you give an example with the CAR file of what you want to achieve?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently, there is a limitation in the Report Painter that prevents you from including a COMPUTE among the list of summed fields.
One possible work around is to create the basic guided reports with only database and define fields.

Then after you have imported the report into the HTML Composer you can go to the double list box control for the Sum fields and manually add your COMPUTE statement there.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 05, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Note that you can place the COMPUTE (name, format and formula) in the synonym, and reference it in your TABLE request as simply

COMPUTE name;

(omitting the equal sign!).

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can. However, even if the COMPUTE is in the master file although you can use it in a TABLE request you still cannot include it in the Verb Object parameter list.

On the other hand, as you mentioned by having it in the metadata when you modify the double list box in HTML Composer you only need to add:
COMPUTE name;

as opposed to:
COMPUTE name/format = complex logic;

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 05, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's what I was driving at.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much everyone for responding. I did figure out a work around but I like the suggestions and think I will it a try.

WEBFOCUS 7.14
WEBFOCUS.8.04

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi so I tried your suggestions of only including database fields in my sum double list control then going in and added the computed field to the double list box manually in the HTML composer. When I run the report from the HTML page it tells me can't find the computed field. So I get that the HTML page is calling the fex and so I'm assuming because its call the fex and the field isn't in there is can't find it....so what is my solution? I'm sure I'm just missing something silly here.

Thank you for your help.

WEBFOCUS 7.14
WEBFOCUS.8.04

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Also, I tried to add the computed field to the .mas file which I had no problem adding. But when I use that table in a procedure I can not see the computed field. Is there some setting that needs to be changed in order to make this computed field visible in a fex?

WEBFOCUS 7.14
WEBFOCUS.8.04

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi CathyB,

Please open a case for this issue on InfoResponse Online.

Thanks and regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, has there been any progress on this problem? I've just run into the same thing. I need COMPUTEd fields in my parameterized report.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in DeLand:
Hi, has there been any progress on this problem? I've just run into the same thing. I need COMPUTEd fields in my parameterized report.

EDIT - I worked around it by making a variable that contains the word NOPRINT, and put that on my launch page. I can't re-order the COMPUTE fields, but at least the fields can be put on or removed from the report.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post