Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
CAR FILE
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
END
- This returns only 5 rows ENGLAND,JAPAN,ITALY, WGERMANY, FRANCE.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT BODYTYPE
END
- This returns all the 18 rows..with duplicate values..

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
END
- This returns all the rows.. with 18 rows.

Can anybody explain this..why can't i retriev all the rows when i do

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
END

Thanks in advance.

Prod: WF 7.6.10 windows. -- MRE/Dashboard/Self Service/ReportCaster - Windows XP

Posts: 82 | Location: Chicago | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Because you only use the country segment which in fact is a table with only 5 records.
The bodytype segment is a second linked table.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Hmmm, Focus files hé. Have you tried this :
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
END

I think this should return around 40 rows. If it does, your ok. It's like Frank says you are only using one segment. If not, you can rebuild the CAR db with this : loadcar.fex in C:\ibi\apps\ibisamp. Maybe you need to tweak the USE command.

Also it would be helpfull if you could tell us what OS you're running on and what version of WF you're using. Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <JJI>,

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Frank
How can i know the # of segments & how they are in structure in CAR file..?

We use SQL Passthrough..Once we retrieve the data from Database, I assume that entire data retrival is considered as single segment.

Please correct me if iam worng.

Thanks

Prod: WF 7.6.10 windows. -- MRE/Dashboard/Self Service/ReportCaster - Windows XP

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
* is a wild card to indicate all the fields you want to be printed in PRINT statement in a single segment file or a multiple segments with a single path. If you say PRINT COUNTRY, which means you only want to print the field COUNTRY. If you say PRINT SEG COUNTRY, it will print all the fields in the segment which contains the field COUNTRY.

Posts: 118 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: June 12, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
sql passthrough on a focus database????

why?

In a sql database you will have several tables and the essentials on a relational database is that you do not have all the data several times in on table.

So a table with country names holds 5 records and is linked to a table with bodytypes and a table with models etc.

The database is normalized for the sake of dataquality.

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The CAR file is a Hierarchical database. Read all about the Hierarchical model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_model

There are parent/child releationships. If you access data from only a parent segment, the record count will be the number of parents found.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
By the way, where is
quote:
Minniapolis
?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

this Wikipedia artical proves that you can not trust op wiki data....
"well known databases" were is focus...

shall I change it?

Frank

<JJI>
posted
The Car DB is a Focus DB which has a hierarchical structure. It's not the same as a relational DB. In a hierarchical DB you can have mulitple segments. One segment in a hierarchical DB like FOCUS can be seen as one table in a relation DB (like SQL, ORACLE, etc...) If you want to discover the structure of focus file you could type the following :

CHECK FILE CAR PICT

This will give you an image of the structure.

Hope this helps.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_%28song%29

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ah, Underworld. Thanks.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I added Focus to the list of well known relational databases in the wikipedia page

Frank

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
Minneapolis
to examine the structure of a focus database, examine its master file description (car.mas), which is the map to a focus file.
A useful tool is the command
CHECK FILE CAR PICTURE
With the PICTURE option, the check file command will give you a quick schematic of a multi-segment file, of a joined collection of multi-segment files...
you've stumbled across the coolest of all cool things about focus...the db structure.

oh.. wait. JJI already told you all this! Sorry, JJ

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
No problem Susannah,

We are here to help each other Wink

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hello TryFocus,

To get info about a FOCUS database you can issue the following commands:
? FILE focusfilename
? FDT focusfile name

? FILE will give you a list of all the segments, the number of their occurences, the number of deleted occurences and dates of last transactions. You will also see the indexes and the total number of all segments, the total number of characters, the total number of pages.

? FDT will give you a list of all segments and indexes, the length of each segment in multiples of 4 bytes, the number of pages used by each segment

Here is what it looks like with the CAR file:

? FILE CAR
 -RUN
 0 STATUS OF FOCUS FILE: C:\ibi\apps\swatqa\car.foc ON 03/20/2007 AT 13.29.00
 0                 ACTIVE  DELETED    DATE OF    TIME OF    LAST TRANS
 SEGNAME         COUNT   COUNT      LAST CHG   LAST CHG     NUMBER
 ORIGIN             5             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 COMP              10             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 CARREC            18             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 BODY              18             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 SPECS             18             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 WARANT             8             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 EQUIP             25             02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 *INDEXES*
 COUNTRY                          02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 0 TOTAL SEGS       102
 TOTAL CHAR      3988
 TOTAL PAGES        8
 LAST CHANGE                      02/20/2005   15.04.57       53
 ? FDT CAR
 -RUN
 0    DIRECTORY:C:\ibi\apps\swatqa\car.foc ON 03/20/2007 AT 13.29.00
 DATE/TIME OF LAST CHANGE:   03/20/2007   13.29.00
 0    SEGNAME   LENGTH   PARENT   START     END    PAGES  LINKS  TYPE
 1  ORIGIN         5               1       1       1       2
 2  COMP           9       1       2       2       1       5
 3  CARREC         9       2       3       3       1       3
 4  BODY          12       3       4       4       1       3
 5  SPECS         21       4       5       5       1       2
 6  WARANT        12       2       6       6       1       2
 7  EQUIP         12       2       7       7       1       2
 COUNTRY                           8       8       1            NEW

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It seems that the confusion is over the fact that a FOCUS database is one physical file which contains one or more SEGMENTs. One easy way to see how many SEGMENTs are in a FOCUS database is to look at the Master File Description. Count the number of SEGNAME definition statements.

A SEGMENT could be thought of as a TABLE using RDBMS terminology. To stretch this analogy, you could think of a FOCUS database as a SCHEMA. A SCHEMA contains one or more related TABLES whereas a FOCUS database contains one or more related SEGMENTs.

The big difference is that the relationships between SEGMENTs in a FOCUS database are maintained by internal pointers and therefore the KEY FIELDs used in RDBMS TABLEs to maintain these relationships do not need to be repeated in each SEGMENT of a FOCUS database.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of a FOCUS database.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys..

Iam clear about Segments & Hierachial database.

Thank you