Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Guide to Upgrade server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Guide to Upgrade server
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I would Like to upgrade our webfoucs 69 server to 7703, 99% of all the directories and values we use are the defualt ones. With that said, Would some please explain how to upgrade, in as much detail as possible, in linux? Thank you so much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean 7.6.9.

I would check the documentation.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<FreSte>
posted
For WebFOCUS 69, I suggest you read the French documentation Smiler

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Charles, are you looking into migrating both the Reporting Server and WebFOCUS Client or is it only the Server?

We recently upgraded our environment from 5.3.4 to 7.7.02

You may want to take a look at these guides;

- WebFOCUS Upgrade Considerations 7.7.03 (DN# 4501016.0511)
- WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Installation and Configuration for UNIX 7.7.03 (DN# 4501024.0511)

In our particular case, we decided to make a brand new installation of the Server and the Client without an automatic upgrade mostly because we were moving to a new server box and OS version as well.

On the server side, we just copied all of the application folders and user/group profiles to the new location. We then opened the Web Console in both versions and started comparing settings to make sure things were consistent, paying special attention to NLS and edasprof.prf settings.

The client side was a bit trickier as there were more components involved. MRE was migrated using the MR migrate tool (java application) to export the old environment and later import the new one.

We opened both client consoles (5.3 and 7.7) and started comparing options one by one to make sure all of the settings were consistent as well (cgivars.wfs, site.wfs, etc). This may look like a heavy task but actually it wasn't that painful. We decided not to migrate Report Caster and opted for manually creating all of the schedules we needed in the new environment (we did not have too many anyway).

Of course, you'll have to consider also your web components, authentication, database connections, etc.

Each experience and environment is different and I assume that you'll be using some techical support from IBI. Although the documentation is clear and provides good guidance there may be some wrinkles here and there and it's better to have an IS ready to provide you the support needed. It did make a difference in our case.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't moving from 7.6.x to 7.7.x require a base install an migration? I don't think there is an upgrade path there.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
In our case we upgraded from 7.6.9 to 7.7.02 on the same box and kept both the old and new versions running simultaneously. The only tricky part was making sure we changed the port numbers for the various components - we changed the default 8080 to 9080 for the new version, for example.

After the upgrade we found that the startup scripts (Linux install) still booted the 7.6.9 version when the machine was restarted, but a little edit fixed that:
              WebFOCUS 7.7.02 Installation/Configuration Settings

1) Installation Device:
           /home/iadmin/WF7702/client/download/wfclient7702linux.tar
 2) Apache Tomcat Installation Directory:
           /home/iadmin/ibi/Tomcat
    a. HTTP Listener Port Number:  9080
    b. Server Connector Port Number:  9081
    c. Redirect Port Number:  8443
    d. AJP Shutdown Port Number:  9082
    e. Admin ID:  iadmin
    f. Admin ID password:  xxxxxxxx
 3) WebFOCUS Installation Directory:
           /home/iadmin/ibi/WebFOCUS77
 4) Application Directory:
           /home/iadmin/ibi/apps77
 5) iWay Client Installation Directory:
           /home/iadmin/ibi/WebFOCUS77/client/home
 6) iWay Client Configuration Directory:
           /home/iadmin/ibi/WebFOCUS77/client/wfc
 7) WebFOCUS Reporting Server:
    a. Host Name:    xxxxxxxx
    b. Port Number:  9120
 8) ReportCaster Distribution Server Install Directory:
          /home/iadmin/ibi/WebFOCUS77/ReportCaster
  a. Administrator ID:             admin
  b. Administrator Password:
  c. Distribution Server Hostname: xxxxxxx
  d. Distribution Server Port:     9200
  e. Two-Way for Email install:    NO
  f. User Administration Services: no
  g. Report Library install:       yes
  h. Unicode required:             N
  i. Mail Server Hostname:         smtp.xxxxxx.com
 9) Repository Information:
  a. Repository Type:            DB2
  b. UserID:                     webfoc7
  c. User Password:              ************
  d. DataBase Name               webfocus
  f. Repositury URL:      jdbc:db2://xxxxxxx:50001/webfocus
  g. Repository Class:    com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver
  h. JDBC PATH:   /opt/ibm/db2/V9.1/java/db2jcc.jar
 10) Aliases:
    a. WebFOCUS Context Root: ibi_apps77
    b. HTML Files Context Root: ibi_html77
    c. WebFOCUS Help Context Root: ibi_help77
 11) Post-Install Options:
    Start Apache Tomcat:           Y
    Start Distribution Server:     Y
 Please check all entries.  Enter 'y' to continue installation.
 Enter 'n' to discard installation settings and to re-enter them.
 Continue? (y/n): y

WebFOCUS Release 7.7.02 Installation and Configuration

Extracting installation files...
 Installing client files...
 Editing scripts...
 Copying files...
 The baseapp directory is present.
 Creating webfocus.war file...
 Creating ibi_help.war file...
 Configuring Apache Tomcat...
 Configuring ReportCaster Distribution Server...

WebFOCUS Installation completed.

Starting Apache Tomcat...
  Starting WebFOCUS Distribution Server...

Thank you for using the WebFOCUS Install.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Merci Fred! LOL Wink

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Can I get a link to those documents by chance! thanks so much!!

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I get a link to those documents by chance

You'll have to search for them in the Technical Doc section of IBI's website.

Providing links to those goes against the forum's rules and I don't want Kerry to be mad at me Wink

quote:
- WebFOCUS Upgrade Considerations 7.7.03 (DN# 4501016.0511)
- WebFOCUS and ReportCaster Installation and Configuration for UNIX 7.7.03 (DN# 4501024.0511)

Just go to IBI's web site and under the 'services and support' option you'll find links to documentation. Then quickly eyeball the guides I had mentioned or try searching by each document's DN# which I had also provided.

Hope that helps somehow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Charles,

Just in case you need the link to the Documentation site: http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/

Thanks njsden for the suggestions. Wink

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post