Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Excel Extra Padding Issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Excel Extra Padding Issue
 Login/Join

posted
I am having an issue with Excel(XLSX format) header section. When the text of the header is too long that it needs to be wrapped into second line or more, the text is being bottom aligned with extra padding space on top of the cell. This is occurring when i use COLSPAN to specify how many columns the header should span.
The same code(with COLSPAN) used to work on my previous version 8201M. Currently I am on 8206.08 and the COLSPAN is not complying with the existing code.
The extra padding space added is directly proportional to the the length of the heading text. The number of lines the text wraps, that much extra space is added on top of the cell.

Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated.

Sample Code:

TABLE FILE WF_RETAIL_LITE
SUM COGS_US
BY PRODUCT_CATEGORY
BY BUSINESS_REGION
HEADING
"This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan. This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan. This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan."
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XLSX
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN=INTERNAL, COLSPAN=8,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows 10
Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML

Posts: 10 | Location: Birmingham | Registered: October 09, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
thinkWF

I have the same version as you and see what you are seeing. I tweeked it a little but not sure if that is what you want. Since you are only displaying 3 columns this works.

TABLE FILE WF_RETAIL_LITE
SUM
WF_RETAIL_LITE.WF_RETAIL_SALES.COGS_US
BY WF_RETAIL_LITE.WF_RETAIL_PRODUCT.PRODUCT_CATEGORY
BY WF_RETAIL_LITE.WF_RETAIL_GEOGRAPHY_CUSTOMER.BUSINESS_REGION
HEADING
"This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan. This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan. This is the heading test to check the excel cell padding issue occurring with colspan."
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XLSX
ON TABLE SET XLSXPAGESETS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
$
TYPE=HEADING,
COLSPAN=8,
HEADALIGN=BODY,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
LINE=1,
OBJECT=TEXT,
ITEM=1,
COLSPAN=3,
JUSTIFY=LEFT,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chuck for your reply.

How ever the extra padding disappears when the COLSPAN is set to the number of columns in the report.
In my case, the number of columns vary between 2 to 30. The header text may span between 1 line to 10 lines.
So setting the COLSPAN to number of columns will not work for me.

I used your tweeked code and changed the COLSPAN to more than 3. I don't see the issue until 5 but at 6 I still see the issue.

COLSPAN used to work fine in 8201M irrespective of the number of columns in the report but is not working in 8206.08.

I am not sure what is causing the issue. Is there a code tightening that I don't know yet or is it a bug or it there something i need to code differently?

Thank you,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows 10
Excel, HTML, PDF, AHTML

Posts: 10 | Location: Birmingham | Registered: October 09, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
thinkWF

You probably should open a case with techsupport and report the change in behavior

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think this is more of an issue with EXCEL, not WebFOCUS.

I don't know why the default for vertical alignment, in EXCEL, is bottom anyway (Arg!).

You can see that it is in the 'Alignment' panel within EXCEL.

Can you change your format to use an EXCEL Template instead of XLSX?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post