Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] % Difference

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] % Difference
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there! We're still pretty new to the IBI tool, and I am stuck on a report I'm creating.

Is there an easy way to display 2 rows (say from varying years) and then instead of a total using % difference calculation?

So basically:
Jan Feb...
2013 500 700
2014 450 850
Var -10% 21%

I tried using temp fields, but I'm struggling to get it to work with the same field twice!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Kelly

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.0.09
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
KAllard,

did you have any training?

You might want to get to know WebFocus better. Understand the basic workings.

What you ask is an odd question.
It looks like you want to use a 'total'-line to calculate the difference.

but technically you do not know how many rows are returned. So what should happen if 3 or more rows are returned?
That's why WebFocus doesn't have this functionality at that location in the report.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have had training. I know for sure that I have 2 rows because I have selected only 2 rows using a filter.

I don't think that it is a strange question, as it is a very simple calculation and relatively standard for Financial reporting.

Is there a way to calculate it that I'm not thinking of?

WebFOCUS 8.0.09
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
You know you have only two rows... correct.

But the procedure doesn't.

"Financial reportng" is a good choice of words.

You might want to use FML ( special format for this kind of stuff ).

Yes there are. Multiple. But it's not an out-of-the-box setting in the "totals" of a normal basic report.

You could use DEFINES to make a field for 2013 and a field for 2014.
That probably the easiest way. But the output would look different.

e.g.
mounth 2013 2014 diff
jan 500 450 -10%
feb 700 850 21%

Greets,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
KAllard,

Welcome to the Information Builders Community Forum - where developers help developers!

This is the WebFOCUS InfoAssist Board on Focal Point. This is a great Forum for InfoAssist related questions and your question is certainly valid. The WebFOCUS forum is also a great forum for more code ( in your case calculations ) specific questions. Feel free to search this forum as well if you are unable to find an answer in the InfoAssist Forum.

You should be able to find related posts by searching on words such as "% difference" or "calculate % difference". The topics that appear may lead you in the right direction.

Just a thought while waiting for members to reply. Thanks to Dave for his suggestion.

Thank you for participating in the Focal Point Forum.

Kindest regards,
Tamra Colangelo
InfoAssist Forum Moderator
Information Builders Inc.

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post