Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] IMS DB on Mainframe (z/OS) and WebFOCUS 8.2.03 on Windows

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] IMS DB on Mainframe (z/OS) and WebFOCUS 8.2.03 on Windows
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am trying to access with WebFOCUS 8.2.03 on Windows an IMS Database on the Mainframe (z/OS) that has a Parent Segment with numerous child segments which also have child segments.

Has anyone succesfully done this recently? If so could you send me details (Adapter used Access / Master description etc) of how you achieved it.

I have tried using the EDA Adapter but this gives me a synonym with all the fields in just one segment. When I print the fields from the parent segment
I seem to get them all but as soon as I use even one field from a child segemnt I get nothing. If I only print the field from the child segment I get a result.

Regards

Pauline

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.2
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Pauline

Hopefully you have a z/OS Mainframe WF Reporting Server that you can connect with directly from the Windows client. Suffix of EDA does flatten the hierarcyhy. By going directly to the mainframe you can use the IMS master file and you will see the segments.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your reply. Yes there is a z/OS Mainframe WebFOCUS Reporting Server which we could use. The problem is that we need to join to SAP/BW or DB2 which are not on this server. Do you have any suggestions for this combination?

Regards

Pauline

WebFOCUS 8.2
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Pauline

Not sure how viable this is depending on how often this report is run. You could create a hold file on the mainframe of the IMS data required then have a SUFFIX=EDA master file of the hold file and join that to the others.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,

thanks once again. I am not talking about just one report more like 50+, which ist why I have to find a feasable solution.

Is there any specific documation on IMS that I can look at.

Regards Pauline

WebFOCUS 8.2
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pauline

I understand your dilemma, the SUFFIX=EDA may really be your only option so you may want to open a case with techsupport to see why you are getting the results you are. I don't have mainframe access to try it myself. Here is the link to the adapter administration manual. https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...adapteradmin7707.pdf

posted Hide Post
Thanks

WebFOCUS 8.2
Windows, All Outputs