Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Managing Schedule/Distribution file from HTML file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Managing Schedule/Distribution file from HTML file
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Is it possible to run a schedule file (.sch) or to call one up for editing from a web page?

I have the same questions also for a distribution (.adr)file.

Looking to do this from a button if possible. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
I would suggest looking into RESTful Web Services

RESTful Web Services

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm referring to an HTML page used to launch reports. Does this tool apply?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Possibly, but no sure.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What about this.... is there a way to execute a schedule from a .fex? In other words, can I create a button on my .html that runs a .fex which runs my schedule (or schedules)?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done this with web services.

It requires two steps.
  • Login call
  • Execute call

The web services needs to be defined as a master.

But if you just want to call a scheduled report from an HTML page, then the web service call should do it, you will have to create a drill to a javascript function to do it.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Manglum

The Web Services method is definitely a viable alternative but your company has to be licensed for the Web Services Ennoblement option.

In the html composer there is an option to schedule a procedure. You have to add the procedure under the Requests and Data Sources tab and then when you click on the button (or object) you want to use to schedule the procedure under Tasks and Animations you create a new task and have the Requests/Actions be to schedule the procedure.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Manglum

I needed to add one more thing. Once you select the procedure to schedule the target type needs to be set to schedule and then choose the Target/Template name of the output you want them to be able to schedule.

Regards

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck, however I'm not looking to schedule a report. I have already scheduled the report. What I want to be able to do is manually run the scheduled report via a button on my .html

The schedule I am referring to above is set to recur every day at 5pm but I have the need sometimes to run it manually rather than waiting for 5pm.

I wanted to create that functionality on my .html so that I didn't have to navigate to the specific schedule file and run it directly from the schedule file. Hope that makes sense.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
The best way would be to call the web service.

Running a Schedule

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz, but I do not believe my company is set up to take advantage of Web services.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about running the fex into a hidden iframe, or calling through xmlhttp ?

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
See if this helps; http://forums.informationbuild...777036376#3777036376

8.8.09 - z/Linux (WF, Report Caster, Report Library).
Iway FFS on MVS (HFS)

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: December 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Craig, your solution(s) seem to be exactly what I want.

Couple of noob questions:
1. where would I go to get the schedule ID?
2. What is the proper syntax for using DSTRUN? I tried searching for that function in the help documentation and nothing came back.

Thanks so much for your help!

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I may have a solution for you. Before Restful Web Services IBI has a routine called DSTRUN. This would run a schedule on demand. However, with WebFOCUS 8 and the new security, unless you were running just basic security, it would not work and from what I have been told, IBI has no plans to restore that function. I have 40+ jobs the were executed this way so I had to come up with a workaround.

My answer was a .fex that set the Next Run Date Time in the schedule to the current date/time + 1 minute. The trick is getting the current date/time in Zulu date/time format. Since we are Linux, it was pretty easy. Our repository is MSSQL and we have the adapter for that.

See below:

-* File rc_submit.fex
-* This job tell Report Caster to submit the desired job for execution at the
-* current time plus 1 minute
-* The only parameter is the Report Caster schedule id
-* To use this in a fex, do the following
-* -SET &RCJOBID=scheduld_id;
-* -INCLUDE rc_submit
-* To use this in Report Caster, add the following in the pre or post processing fex
-* baseapp/rc_submit RCJOBID=schedule_id
-*-SET &RCJOBID=S52089096s861bs4dc2sa025s8c0779769b44;
 APP PATH report_caster
-* Get the Interval Id for the schedule
 TABLEF FILE BOTSIT
  PRINT INTERVALID
  WHERE SCHEDULEID EQ '&RCJOBID'
     ON TABLE SAVE
 END
-RUN
-READ SAVE &LNGTH.6. &INTERVALID.64.
-RUN
-SET &INTERVALID=TRUNCATE(&INTERVALID);
-UNIX rm save.ftm
-*  Get the next run date/time in zulu time plus 1 minute
 APP FI ZULUTIME DISK zulutime.txt ( LRECL 32 RECFM V
-RUN
-UNIX date +%s > zulutime.txt
-RUN
-READ ZULUTIME &ZULUSEC.32.
-RUN
 DEFINE FILE MACGYVER
   ZULUSEC/P32=&ZULUSEC;
   ZULUDAYS/I9=ZULUSEC/86400;
   ZULUHRS/I9=(ZULUSEC-(ZULUDAYS*86400))/3600;
   ZULUMIN/I9=(ZULUSEC-((ZULUDAYS*86400)+(ZULUHRS*3600)))/60;
   ZULUTIME/P32L=((ZULUDAYS*86400)+(ZULUHRS*3600)+((ZULUMIN+1)*60))*1000;
 END
 TABLE FILE MACGYVER
 PRINT ZULUTIME
    IF COUNTER EQ 1
    ON TABLE SAVE
 END
 DEFINE FILE MACGYVER CLEAR
 END
-RUN
-READ SAVE &NEXTRUNTIME.32.
-RUN
-UNIX rm save.ftm
-TYPE .
-TYPE .  Submitting:
-TYPE .    Schedule Id: &RCJOBID
-TYPE .    Interval Id: &INTERVALID
-TYPE .      Zulu Time: &NEXTRUNTIME
-TYPE .
 MODIFY FILE BOTSIT
 FIXFORM INTERVALID/64
 MATCH INTERVALID
    ON MATCH COMPUTE NEXTRUNTIME='&NEXTRUNTIME.EVAL';
    ON MATCH UPDATE NEXTRUNTIME
    ON MATCH SQL COMMIT WORK
    ON MATCH/NOMATCH GOTO TOP
 DATA
&INTERVALID
 END
-RUN

Hope this helps.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JGELONA,
That looks great. I'm getting an error as follow:

(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED: BOTSIT

not sure if that means that I don't have proper security to access this table or if the table itself is different in my environment?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
The WebFOCUS metadata (.mas and .acx) for the Report Caster tables (BOT*) must be in a folder in the application path.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks John and Francis, That looks good. Now to get the right to report_caster / BOTSIT which may be a stretch.

(one more post to get my "posts" = "curent year")

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post