Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Slow loading listboxes

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Slow loading listboxes
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We have an html launch page setup with a half dozen listboxes. It seems to take a while to load these list boxes from the database. We are using the dynamic control values method from the Resource Layout tool. Is there a way to find out what Webfocus is doing in the background to load the listboxes? I suspect it is going against the whole table to find all the distinct values. Should we write a stored proc to do this?

Posts: 81 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: August 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What we did was to have a nightly scheduled run of all the lists that would be used in the form. Then just include those lists (found thru a filedef) in your html.

Since the lists were pre-generated the forms would load nearly instantly.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Vivian Perlmutter
www.aviter.com
vivian@aviter.com

Posts: 191 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: April 29, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i totally agree with Vivian. i,too, generate all my lists as part of my etl procedures (hourly refreshed) and place them so that they can be filedeffed in my MRE as well as read by my self-serv .asp launch pages as serverside includes.
Creating them, i define a variable that is the complete option tag.
OUTPUT/A100='[OPTION NAME=MYITEM VALUE="' | MYVAR | '">choose this region[/OPTION>';
and then print one OUTPUT value for each value of MYVAR as a format alpha file which gives it a .txt extension. Just change your mre launch pages from html pages to fexes (copy and paste)
and then start your mre launch page/fexes with FILEDEFS to your text files, followed by the html tag and the rest of your launch page .
Does this help?(you know those brackets are left carets, right?)

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies, I'll try your suggestions. This technique should probably do the trick.

Posts: 81 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: August 07, 2003Report This Post
<mhuber>
posted
Our DBA's were kind enough to have created lookup tables containing all the possible values. We leverage these tables, and our drop-downs only take a few seconds to load.

You can check out the actual queries by looking in your Temporary Internet Files folder (same place where cookies are stored). You'll see some XML docs with the adhoc fex embedded in the name. Basically, it does:
TABLE FILE SOMEFILE
SUM
FST.VALUE_FIELD
FST.DISPLAY_FIELD
BY
VALUE_FIELD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

So yes, it does a full-table-scan.
-Michael

Report This Post