Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ***CLOSED Date Conversion

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
***CLOSED Date Conversion
 Login/Join

Master
posted
When I hover over the item in the report list while creating a new report it shows a format of: HYYMDs.

When reported I see:
2015/04/22 16:33:27.444

I want to see 4/22/2015.

How can I do this in a report? Function?

Better yet, is there a change I should instead make to tthe master file...if at all even possible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RobertF,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Function HDATE will convert your date-time values to date-only values. You can do this in a DEFINE or COMPUTE in your fex, or as a DEFINE in the master file.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
does altering the master file impact efficiency in some way...it would seem that might be the place to do it?

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
RE: HDATE...what format type do I pick...varchar/alpha is not working...I am using the GUI fort he define...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Duh! I found out where to format it in a define...still curious if I am better of altering the master file?

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you do it in the master file, you will do it once and it will be available each time you're using that master file or anybody else (except if DBA security is on that DEFINE). So you won't have to define it again and again.

But remember that a DEFINE is "applied" to every rows from the TABLE FILE so it may have a performance issue.
Maybe you don't need it on every rows, maybe just on the filtered one (after the WHERE is applied) so in this case, a COMPUTE must be considered.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I believe Defines are not calculated unless and until needed -- a Defines used in the report but not involved in any screening conditions will not fire if the record fails one of the screening tests. So there should be no cost in taking the DEFINE-in-Master approach, relative to the alternatives.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Is this a database? The following approach works for Oracle and SQL Server.

If you always want the field to be displayed as a date change the master file usage and actual
like the below:

FIELDNAME=DATE_YYMD, ALIAS=DATE_YYMD, USAGE=YYMD, ACTUAL=DATE,$

This drops the time portion for you. If you want to have both the datetime field and a date field put a new entry in the master file with the same alias value (the database fieldname) and a new fieldname value:

FIELDNAME=THE_DATE_ONLY, ALIAS=DATE_YYMD, USAGE=YYMD, ACTUAL=DATE,$

WF 7.6.11
Output: HTML, PDF, Excel

Posts: 123 | Location: UK | Registered: October 09, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
thanks!

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I will make the "standard" recommendation to get hold of a copy of "(Almost) 1001 Ways To Work With Dates" from Aviter by Price w/Perlmutter.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.