Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Create hyperlink using HTML Canvas

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Create hyperlink using HTML Canvas
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I can't believe I still can't figure this out. I've got a htm file that was created in HTML Canvas. It has all the filters. I want to add a hyperlink (like a regular
Help
link) to the top of the htm page.

I've tried to add a hyperlink (via the genereic elements panel) and modify the href property to have
http://www.yahoo.com
. I've tried the properties under the Hyperlink option, but I never got the desired results. The report show up with a link, but clicking it does nothing. However, if I right click it, and select open in a new tab, then it opens correctly, with the yahoo.com page.

I've also tried using the HTML button from the Objects panel, and in it I put
Help
. In HTML canvas it seems to look right (it looks like a hyperlink) but when I run the report, the Help text is just regular text. I can't click it or anything. And by the way... how does this control work exactly? I would love to be able to just add html to a page in HTML Canvas and I think this is how to do it, but it doesn't work as I expect.

I've explored using the Requets & Data Sources panel, but I don't think that's the right path. Just seems like too much to do for a stinking hyperlink!

I'm sure this can be done using Javascript, but that seems like overkill for something as simple as a hyperlink.

I'm sure I can open the htm file (created by HTML Canvas) in a text editor and modify the code, but I'm reluctant to do that in case I won't be able to open it in HTML canvas again.

Any tips here?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8201, SP 0.1, Windows 7, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steps :
1- From your Domain folder, right click on it and select New / URL
2- Add desired info for the URL : Title and URL
3- From HTML Composer / Request & Databases add new External Request / Url file and select previous step file
4- From HTML Composer insert new Components / Hyperlink
5- From HTML Composer / Task & Animations for your previous step Hyperlink component at Request/Actions add Run Request from your URL file added in 3

Hope that it's clear enough

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this is what you need, but I just used the post below to create a hyperlink on an image in my portal.

http://forums.informationbuild...827019476#7827019476

WebFocus 8.2.04
WebFocus 8.2.04

Posts: 191 | Registered: September 18, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Martin, this is not an insult to you, but I fell asleep after the second instruction!

URL... Request & Databases... External Request... Components... Task & animations... Hyperlink... Request/Actions... Run Request.

The wonders of the GUI will never cease.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ok... that worked... thanks MartinY (and JulieA who provided a similar solution).

So... my follow up question. I don't really want to link to yahoo.com (that was just for testing). I am trying to link to an html file created outside of webfocus. Where should I save that file and what url should I use to link to it.

Be warned... this is a rant... I find the webfocus GUIs so unintuitive at times. Like, there is a control called hyperlink with a href property and it doesn't do use the href as a link (except when right clicking and opening it in a new tab which is even stranger). And all those steps for a link?!?!?

Thank you,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
@Francis
quote:

but I fell asleep after the second instruction!

URL... Request & Databases... External Request... Components... Task & animations... Hyperlink... Request/Actions... Run Request.

The wonders of the GUI will never cease.

Big Grin Good One

So many steps to perform one or two lines of code...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
@Shingles,

Your request to have an hyperlink to a file (not an URL) it's something totally different that can not be managed using the Hyperlink component (I've never been able to do so with that).

The way I found is to create a "report" which only contains the hyperlink that can easily be created from a COMPUTEd field.
Then include that report to your HTML page as a report component.

In Focus since 2007

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hmm, this is nonsense and should work ... so I've tried it.

I found that there are spurious attributes given to the anchor object which, upon removal allow the hyperlink to work.

Again, this is a little ponderous but please stay with it (Francis Wink)

Within properties for the anchor object,

• remove all classes (it will replace internal_default Frowner)
  • remove the "unique identifier"
  • remove the "name" attribute (why do you need it?)
  • change the "layer name" to "not set"
  • make sure your "Link Attributes" "href" is properly formed - including the http:// etc.
  • add the "target" value
  • don't be tempted to add a "title"!!!

Then it worked for me .... tested in 8.2.01.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ok, more weirdness - once I had one hyperlink working, adding another without changing anything worked as expected! Confused

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
@Tony

OMG !!!
Another 5th Dimension miracle or damnation.....yours to choose Big Grin

In Focus since 2007

Expert
posted Hide Post
@Martin, I think that it's too late for damnation, although it depends upon which damned nation you mean Wink Razzer

T

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony, you're the best. Thanks for the share!

We are ALWAYS jQuerying it up at our site gutting IBI generated code & injecting our own to get things functioning the way we want it. Like I was saying in my other post, I don't even use AppStudio for such things if I can help it. It's just [silliness]. VSCode is the new AppStudio HTML tool of choice here. lol

Also, I wonder just how many less posts we'd have in these forums if they did a better job with their documentation, etc. Something to think about....

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
@Shingles,

Your request to have an hyperlink to a file (not an URL) it's something totally different that can not be managed using the Hyperlink component (I've never been able to do so with that).

The way I found is to create a "report" which only contains the hyperlink that can easily be created from a COMPUTEd field.
Then include that report to your HTML page as a report component.

I got it to work. I saved the my htm file in inetpub, and then used ../file.htm as the source for the URL object.

Thanks all!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Steps :
1- From your Domain folder, right click on it and select New / URL
2- Add desired info for the URL : Title and URL
3- From HTML Composer / Request & Databases add new External Request / Url file and select previous step file
4- From HTML Composer insert new Components / Hyperlink
5- From HTML Composer / Task & Animations for your previous step Hyperlink component at Request/Actions add Run Request from your URL file added in 3

Hope that it's clear enough

Hi MartinY,
Can you please explain how we can pass the html form values in that URL.

Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: Bangalore | Registered: July 31, 2018Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is not to pass a form to a hyperlink, this is to add a hyperlink to a form

In Focus since 2007