Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE OPENED] Comma in Title in Excel

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE OPENED] Comma in Title in Excel
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have an issue with commas in Title. In the following I need the tile to be in two lines as below in a single cell. Basically the first comma should take it the next line and second comma should be left alone. I cannot move the title to the Heading and put it in two lines as I need the whole title in a single cell.

Successful Uploads:
No Errors, No Warnings

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
MODEL AS 'Successful Uploads:, No Errors, No Warnings'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Posts: 183 | Location: TX | Registered: January 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
They are in one cell but they have stacked on top of each other because of the commas.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
No , But I need only two stacks
Successful Uploads:
No Errors, No Warnings

not 3 as below,

Successful Uploads:
No Errors
No Warnings

I was wondering if there is a way to escape the comma in Title, I have seen other posts for HTML but didnt find any for excel.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The way I'd deal with this is to change the title to Successful Uploads:, No Errors or Warnings.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I cannot the change the title, I would have done that rather than posing the issue here and trying to find a solution for it.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Getit

I tried everything I know and could not get the comma to display. You should open a case with techsupport and see if they know any magic..

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If it's magic you want ....

-SET &ShowComma = HEXBYT(130,'A1');
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
MODEL AS 'Successful Uploads:, No Errors&ShowComma.EVAL No Warnings'
END

Note that the font/code page you are using may give an alternative character, so you might have to find the char that you need (the standard comma is ascii 44).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Another of the many things I do with Auto_Open macros. In your title use a different character, i.e. a ^ instead of a comma. Then, in the Auto_Open macro, assuming the title is in A1 do the following:
Range("A1").Select
Selection.Replace What:="^", Replacement:=","

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi All,
Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping Tonys code would really work , but webfocus is validating the comma and putting the title in 3 lines. I cannot use Macros.

Successful Uploads:
No Errors
No Warnings

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Guru
posted Hide Post
Try this
/*
DEFINE FILE CAR
'Successful Uploads:, No Errors, No Warnings'/A60=MODEL;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
'Successful Uploads:, No Errors, No Warnings'
BY MODEL NOPRINT
END

/*

play with it

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I tried that, it puts everything in one line only.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony's solution works in 8.1.05 must be the old release getting in your way.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I am running on 8202 and it does not work. I have updated my signature. I wonder if there is any setting on server that was making it not work for us.
I was using 44 in the HEXBYT as 130 didn't seem to do anything . Our server NLS setting is set to 65001-Unicode (UTF-8) since we have reports in multiple languages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: getit,

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced that it is due to the release as my example was written in 8.2.04.

As I mentioned earlier "Note that the font/code page you are using may give an alternative character, so you might have to find the char that you need (the standard comma is ascii 44)."

Using HEXBYT(44,'A1') will give you the standard comma and the resultant break in the columns.

So we come back to the "so you might have to find the char that you need"

Try running the following code in your environment to try and locate that character, change the fonts used to suit your need -

TABLE FILE CASHFLOW
  SUM COMPUTE VALUE/I3 = IF LAST VALUE EQ 0 THEN 32 ELSE LAST VALUE + 1;
      COMPUTE CHAR1/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'TNM'
      COMPUTE CHAR2/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'Symbol'
      COMPUTE CHAR3/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'WebDings'
      COMPUTE CHAR4/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'Wingdings'
      COMPUTE CHAR5/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'Wingdings 2'
      COMPUTE CHAR6/A1 = HEXBYT(VALUE, 'A1'); AS 'Wingdings 3'
   BY CASH_DATE NOPRINT
   WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 224
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET LINES 999999
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=REPORT, FONT='ARIAL', HFREEZE=ON, $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR1, FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN', $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR2, FONT='SYMBOL', $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR3, FONT='WEBDINGS', $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR4, FONT='WINGDINGS', $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR5, FONT='WINGDINGS 2', $
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CHAR6, FONT='WINGDINGS 3', $
ENDSTYLE
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Help me understand this one...

So, I thought that maybe we could use the HTML entity for a subquote as a comma. Upon setting HTML entity for a subquote as an amper variable like so:
-SET &SUBQUOTE_NAME = '&|sbquo;';
-SET &SUBQUOTE_NUMB = '&|#8218;';

And then I use -TYPE to get the value of each variable like this:
-TYPE &|SUBQUOTE_NAME: &SUBQUOTE_NAME.QUOTEDSTRING
-TYPE &|SUBQUOTE_NUMB: &SUBQUOTE_NUMB.QUOTEDSTRING

I get the following expected output:
&SUBQUOTE_NAME: '‚'
&SUBQUOTE_NUMB: '‚'

Counting the number of characters between the two single quotes, I count 1 (ONE) character. However, when I get the variable length like so:
-TYPE &|SUBQUOTE_NAME LENGTH: &SUBQUOTE_NAME.LENGTH
-TYPE &|SUBQUOTE_NUMB LENGTH: &SUBQUOTE_NUMB.LENGTH

I get the following output:
&SUBQUOTE_NAME LENGTH: 07
&SUBQUOTE_NUMB LENGTH: 07

So, does that mean to say that -TYPE does NOT bring back the ACTUAL contents of the variable? Eeker

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It does, but (assuming you were looking at HTML output) your web browser interpreted that HTML entity and converted those 7-character strings to single-character symbols.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hallway. Your initial -SET for &SUBQUOTE_NAME and &SUBQUOTE_NUMB are 7 characters in length. Unless you make the variable longer in another -SET, they stay a length of 7. My guess is that you can shorten them if you want using TRUNCATE:
-SET &SUBQUOTE_NAME = TRUNCATE(&SUBQUOTE_NAME);
-SET &SUBQUOTE_NUMB = TRUNCATE(&SUBQUOTE_NUMB);

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wep5622:
It does, but (assuming you were looking at HTML output) your web browser interpreted that HTML entity and converted those 7-character strings to single-character symbols.

That's a good thought, however when inspecting the html, that output is inside a <pre> tag so the browser won't convert html entities

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hallway:
quote:

That's a good thought, however when inspecting the html, that output is inside a
 tag so the browser won't convert html entities 

That is not true:

I think you're mixing up PRE (pre-formatted) with XMP (example code) tags.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you're mixing up PRE (pre-formatted) with XMP (example code) tags.

Nope, not mixing it up. XMP is obsolete. It has been deprecated since HTML3.2 and was completely removed from the language in HTML5, albeit still works in most browsers.

https://developer.mozilla.org/...Web/HTML/Element/xmp

However, I was mistaken that a pre tag would not render html entities, when it does, in fact, render them. My apologies for the mistake.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what this all means regarding my original question. I could not find teh character replacement for comma . Our NLS is set to unicode UTF-8. This is not resolved either but is marked as SOLVED

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by getit:
I am not sure what this all means regarding my original question. I could not find teh character replacement for comma . Our NLS is set to unicode UTF-8. This is not resolved either but is marked as SOLVED

Sorry for the tangent. I was trying to see if I could use the html entity for a subquote ( &sbqou; ) to replace the second comma. Since the EXL2K format is actually an html page that excel converts when opening, I thought that it might work. However when opening the EXL2K output with a text editor, I can see that WebFOCUS converts the ampersand to the html entity &amp;

<BODY>

<TABLE X:STR BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
<TR>
<TD style='white-space:normal' class=xl100>Successful Uploads:          <BR> No Errors&amp;sbquo; No Warnings</TD>
</TR>

I would suggest that you open a case with IBI and see if there is some sort of escape character to use with a comma in a title so it is evaluated as a comma not a <BR>.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hallway,

Hallway

Repository:

Outputs:

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hallway.. Please open a case with techsupport since the recommendations that work for others are not working for you.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for helping. These are really good suggestions which for some reason doesn't work in our environment. I have a case open and they are escalating this.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Using Tonys Suggestion I have located 49794 as the character for the Single Low-9 Quotation Mark for us. The IBI support also suggested 14844058 . Both these work for us. Thanks Tony.

-*-SET &ShowComma = HEXBYT(49794,'A8');
-SET &ShowComma = HEXBYT(14844058,'A8');
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
MODEL AS 'Successful Uploads:, No Errors&ShowComma.EVAL No Warnings'
COMPUTE TEST/A8 = '&ShowComma' ;
END

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I remain of the opinion that IBI needs to add escapes for symbols that they have given a special meaning.

That is the core of the problem, everything else is just a workaround.

You're lucky that you're using a code-page that allows for a workaround - not all of them do.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Totally Agree. They said they do have a case open in Programming for that. Hopefully it will come in future.

App Studio Version 8202
windows Platform
SQL Server 2008/2012