Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Entire line wrap.
 Login/Join

<Jeff Sneden>
posted
I've been stuck on this problem for a bit now. I am creating a bibliography with MLA style citations.
This is a free-form report so everything is in a subheading, here is the problem:<br />
1) I need to be able to have the entire line (in this case a subheading) wrap to the
next line if it over flows.
I can accomplish this by pushing all of the fields together and then outputing with
pdf wrap option.
2) I need to be able to have one field (publisher) be in italics. I
can achieve this with the style
sheet if all of my fields are separate.
Unfortunately, so far I have found these solutions to be mutually exclusive. Here is what I want to be able to do:
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
type=subhead, line=1, item=3, 
style=+italic, $<br />type=subhead, wrap=8.0, 
ENDSTYLE<br />ON RECORD_ID SUBHEAD
"<AUTH<TITLE<PUB<DISPLAY_DATE"
This code causes each item
to wrap individualy, not as an entire
line.Any Ideas? Confused
Thanks,Jeff Sneden

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting problem, Jeff. I don't know how to solve it. Hope someone does, because I'd like to know. Hate to even bring this up, but not knowing your experience level, it is possible, I suppose, that you don't know that you can print multiple lines in your subhead, as in:

ON RECORD_ID SUBHEAD
"<AUTH<TITLE<PUB"
"<DISPLAY_DATE"

That doesn't appear to be the solution you seek, but you never know.

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
<Jeff Sneden>
posted
Yeah, I know you can do multiple lines. I'd really like it to wrap itself though since the number of authors in a bibliography can be anywhere from 1 to 10 and titles can be 5 to 50 words. Thanks for the help.

-Jeff Sneden

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You kow, if you can figure out the control characters that turn italics on and off, you should be able to assign those values to fields and embed the fields in your subhead.

Something like:

DEFINE FILE whatever
I_ON/A1 = HEXBYT(888,'A1');
I_OFF/A1 = HEXBYT(999,'A1');
END

ON RECORD_ID SUBHEAD"<AUTH<TITLE<I_ON<PUB<I_OFF<DISPLAY_DATE"

If you aren't familiar with HEXBYT, you can find it in the 'Using Functions' manual. You'd have to subtitute the proper values in place of 888 and 999, of course - once you found out what they are. Not sure this will work, but it might.

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
<Jeff Sneden>
posted
That's a good idea, but there doesn't seem to be any documentation on what the "begin italics" character is.

Thanks,
Jeff Sneden

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There definitely would not be any WebFOCUS documentation on that. And I'm not sure where you'd find it. Adobe, maybe. Or if you could somehow get a binary or hex look at a PDF file that contains italicized characters...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Instead of a free form report why not make it a columnar report where you WILL be able to style individual columns with WRAP and ITALIC?

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<Jeff Sneden>
posted
I need all of the columns to wrap as a whole, not individualy. I could also make it a tabular report, but then I'm faced with the same delima:
1) Push the columns together so that they wrap together. (But I can't make just publication italic)
-or-
2) Output the columns separately so that I can make one of them italic. (But they will wrap individualy)

Thanks,
Jeff Sneden

Report This Post