Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Accordian Gripe
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I see some activity on here regarding the accordian (expandable) reports, but nothing really in the way of comments on it's usefulness.

Here's my gripe -- it seems to be the start of something great, but falls short. What I'd really like to see is something that works like the accordian report, but where the "BY"s are the only thing that is hidden.

For example:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RETAIL_COST
    DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY BODYTYPE
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET EXPANDABLE ON
END

If I run this report, I want to see the retail & dealer costs by country. If I expand country, I want to see the costs by country by car. Rather than having to expand all the way to the lowest group to see the costs, I think this would be much more useful. Am I the only one that saw this feature and said "COOL!" and then actually ran it and said "oh..." ??

I'm curious how everyone else feels about this functionality... I haven't logged an NFR, and I'm debating on whether or not to. I've created a recursive drill-down report that basically does what I want it to -- plus dynamic grouping included. But it just seems like this was almost there but not quite.

/gripe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trav,

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 230 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
<peyton>
posted
this thread
is a most excellent example ,written by Tony, to show you how to use this expandable thing.
Takes a bit more coding than you've written so far, but this might make you happier.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's close -- but not quite. In fact I've seen that one before. It's "problem" is that the dollars column is then repeated over and over for each by. I think the subtotals should serve that purpose, not an entire column. My reports are already too wide. Frowner

Sorry, I know I'm picky -- but I'm also not as picky as my users. Smiler

Guru
posted Hide Post
Tray: You may have already thought of this but if I understand your requirements correctly try this:
TABLE FILE GGSALES
WRITE REGION NOPRINT
BY REGION
WRITE ST NOPRINT
BY REGION
BY ST
WRITE CITY NOPRINT
BY REGION
BY ST
BY CITY
WRITE STCD NOPRINT
BY REGION
BY ST
BY CITY
BY STCD
WRITE PRODUCT NOPRINT
BY REGION
BY ST
BY CITY
BY STCD
BY PRODUCT
END

Good luck.
Greg

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
For me, that produces the same thing as this:

TABLE FILE GGSALES
BY REGION
BY ST
BY CITY
BY STCD
BY PRODUCT
END

oh, and it's Trav, not Tray. Wink

Expert
posted Hide Post
Trav, your gripe was very well written (except for the typo). I've experienced this feeling many times.

[gripe]
Take for example, Excel 2000 formulas - try using that feature in FRL WF 5.3.2 - it doesn't work (I wonder if it does in newer versions).

I get excited when discovering a new feature only to find it doesn't really work, and I then wonder if IBI uses the same trick as Microsoft and foists the debugging on the customer...
[/gripe]

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
Trav, your gripe was very well written (except for the typo). I've experienced this feeling many times.

Fixed the typo! Big Grin

I appreciate the sympathy -- I may just go ahead and log the NFR. I guess I wasn't really looking for an answer, it was more of a vent but also hoping someone else felt this way and maybe even discovered a way to put it to good use. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one thinking about something.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Trav

I think your idea for an NFR for how the the accordian report should work is great. It should be made in conjunction of being able to have a variable number of columns expanded on opening, as others have asked for. I have a bit of js to do that, but it should be available as a standard.

I contemplated the idea you had about how accordian should work and just hope that IB don't consider this too much like an Active Report type option, i.e. payable.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Oh man, I was so hoping this has been "improved". But, so far (7.6.2) still not there. I am challenged to figure out a way to create an Excel Outline type of report - which is exactly what Trav wanted on his original post. Has anybody created an Excel Outline report using webfocus?

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
My agree: I also want not "accordion report" but "accordion fields".

Like drilldowns, but on the same page.
And with dynamic data load. (It means AJAX?)

I see that even 3000 rows in report becomes problem for accordion.

The best implementation for Accordion now (imho) - displaying tree structures with drilldowns to other reports.

Alex

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Trav, wish I had seen this earlier - I'd have given it to you at IBUG. This is easily done with multiple sort groups and can all be done in the tool, but here's the basic code. Without turning EXPANDABLE ON, it displays as one big rpt, but with it on, I believe it does what you're requesting.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY BODYTYPE
SUM
DEALER_COST
RETAIL_COST
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY BODYTYPE
BY MODEL
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
END

Take care.

WF 7.7.x, Solaris

Posts: 11 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Charles, actually that is the one that I've seen and it really doesn't do what I'm after.

This one displays the sum columns multiple times when you start expanding -- and basically that's my gripe is that in my opinion the sum column(s) should always be visible -- but once and only once. I'd like my cake and eat it too. Smiler

posted Hide Post
but each set of sum columns is summed to a different level - are you suggesting that you'd like all the different sums as one group always at the end of whatever level is expanded?

WF 7.7.x, Solaris

Posts: 11 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What I'm really looking for is a way to create Outlines in EXL2K using webfocus. This is Excel's version of an accordion report which rolls up the summed fields on the higher BY levels. Or, if anybody has some javascript or something that implements something similar on other output formats (i.e., HTML).
How do I attach a file to a post? I'd like to attach a sample Excel sheet that shows what I'm talking about.

WF 8.1.05 Windows

Posts: 333 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: October 17, 2006Report This Post