Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     error: FILE IS DAMAGED, COULD NOT BE REPAIRED

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
error: FILE IS DAMAGED, COULD NOT BE REPAIRED
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,
I am trying to generate a report in PDF format and it is giving me this error.
FILE IS DAMAGED, COULD NOT BE REPAIRED

When I run the report in HTML or EXCEL, the report is working fine, but when I run the report in PDF format it is giving me the error. I am not sure if this is related to WebFocus or if it is related to PDF?
I tried limiting the total number of records range (where recordlimit eq '8000') and it works in PDF format whereas if I remove the recordlimit and try to run the report in PDF, it does not show the report.
Could someone tell me how to fix this error?

Thanks.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
RB... I've found with PDF that my WebFocus isn't the only thing that doesn't work... Do you have a PDF file that you could open outside of WebFocus and verify that your Adobe works....

Posts: 132 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 12, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the code will work just fine to HTML output, but when you go to PDF format there is a hidden error that selecting PDF doesn't work.

When I encouter this I set exit points and run with -set &echo = all; to find the hidden error.

If that's not the issue, sometime back we had this issue with caster and it turned out to be an issue with the antivirus software and the caster process.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
My adobe is working fine. I was able to run other PDF reports and I also checked the other pdf documents outside of WebFOCUS.
Like Leah suggested, I did some exit points with -set &echo=all, but no luck. I did not find any hidden errors when I looked at the source code(by doing view source).
My guess is that the report is too large to handle in PDF. Could that be the reason?
Also, I did run the report using these commands and the reports runs fine in PDF.
My problem now is I do not want the grid to be seen. If I set the GRID off then the report gives me the same error. Page is damaged and cannot be repaired.

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, PAGESIZE='C', LEFTMARGIN=0.2500000, RIGHTMARGIN=0.250000,
TOPMARGIN=0.250000, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.250000, SQUEEZE=ON, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, GRID=ON, $

TYPE=REPORT, SIZE=20, $

END STYLE

Master
posted Hide Post
What Version of WebFOCUS are you running

Gold member
posted Hide Post

Guru
posted Hide Post
I have received this error in the past with PDF files "FILE IS DAMAGED, COULD NOT BE REPAIRED"
when doing a compound report. Any chance this is a compound report you are trying to produce?

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I know this sounds silly, but have you tried just removing the grid = on/off from the style command.

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Carol, this report is not a compund report. I never encountered this problem before. Not sure why it is doing that.

Leah,
I tried removing the grid setting and ran the report. it is giving me the same error.

<Pietro De Santis>
posted
Why

TYPE=REPORT, SIZE=20, $

That seems a little excessive, doesn't it?

1) Try commenting out the TYPE=REPORT, SIZE=20, $

2) Try commenting out some columns, in case the report is too wide.

3) Try adding a recordlimit, to verify if it's actually the size of the PDF file that's the problem WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 100

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
PDF is very particular in regards to the structure of the document. If any object in the PDF file is out of sequence, mislabeled, missing, etc you'll receive that error. We generate our own PDF from scratch so sometimes ojects get "out of whack" in certain situations. In other words you have more than likely encountered a bug related to our PDF driver and should call Customer Support. There may be a patch for this.

Brian

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I tried all ways to get the report running with out any errors. I should check with my admin about this error. Anyways, my users are happy with grid on. so, I decided to leave the grid on for now.

Thank you all for your help.

<Ken>
posted
I�ve seen that error when I have manually set the total column widths (using SQUEEZE=) greater then the width of the page

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I got "File damaged and could not be repaired" error message with Webfocus 5.3 when I tried to generate PDF report and it was working fine with 4.3 version.

I tried to include "-EXIT" after the following statements at the end of the report and it was working out well.

END
-ENDSTYLE
-EXIT
-HTMLBEGIN
Once I removed the "-EXIT", it was throwing the same error.

Sheebarani Muthukrishnan

Posts: 6 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Sheeba,

Has this issue regarding the error message been resolved?

I ran a quick search about the error message and came across the following topics from Information Builder's online documents which may be of interest:

Summary: PDF: The file is damaged and could not be repaired.
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/known_problems/11812042.html

Summary: PDF:The file is damaged and could not be repaired w/ FONT=20
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/known_problems/70661089.html

You will need an InfoResponse userid/password to access these documents.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I got this error as well, but only when I switched from CGI to Servlet. The error only occurred on (PDF) reports for which the columns spanned more than one page. The solution for us was to set redirection to 'no' for pdf files in mime.wfs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I run into this frequently when the PDF spans more than one page. One quick solution if it works is to change your font size down to like an 8 or 9 and see if it works that way. (Basically cramming the report onto one page span). Problem is that size 8 font is not for elderly or hard of sight...it is teeny tiny.

This problem crops up quite a bit on other things as well...I've run into it on another report where a certain symbol set appeared in the right order. As Kerry mentioned, see those technical advices for other ideas.

Master
posted Hide Post
I too faced this error in my compound reports. But when I changed </1 to " " in my subhead section, I didn't get that error. It seems weird but works.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
<RickW>
posted
Try adding

FOOTING
" "

Might work - worked for one of my customers but they were creating a compound report.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a case open on this topic at the moment. Are you running through servlet or cgi? I have reports that work through cgi but not servlet under 7.1.1. In my investigation it looks like when your columns spill over the page width and the report is more than a page long you get this corrupt error. I found that if the report columns spill over but the rows fit on one page you end up with a two page report that displays. When you increase the rows to go past one page the corrupt error message appears. What I am guessing is that when webfocus formats the data it is putting the data from those far right columns onto page number two. It then puts other rows on page number two. When the document is renderd by adobe it has conflicts because it doesn't know what to do with two pages with the same page numbers (This is just a guess). Under cgi the report pdf is created correctly and squeeze will keep the columns to one page width.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I was looking through this. On damaged PDF, I found that if you happen to have an empty report in the process of creating the report and don't have
set emptyreport = on
either in the start of the process or as an on table set, PDF does not like you when using caster. Also, we faced this issue with PDF and the anti-virus we had on our WebFOCUS server, way back.

Leah