Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Report Caster Burst Subject

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Report Caster Burst Subject
 Login/Join

posted
I know that I can put the Burst Value in the Subject. Is there a way to put a &variable that is created in the FEX to be in the subject.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

PROD: WF 7.1.3 on Win 2003/IIS 6/Self-Serve & MRE
TEST: We dont need no Stinking Test Server!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I don't no why this is not answered but according to the documentation you can
http://...../ibi_html/javaassist/intl/EN/help/index.htm#cs_rc_interface.htm

just put the amper value in the subject between ''

something like

"report %BURSTVALUE for country '&COUNTRY'"

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Wilky,

This one is most likely already submitted as a New Feature Request (NFR). To confirm and/or submit your request, please contact Information Builders' Customer Support Services for more details. You may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access the InfoResponse site at any time.

Hope this helps. Many thanks to Frank's input as well. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Kerry

Meanwhile I did a quick test, but the result was not direct what I wanted.
Tomorrow I'll give it an other try.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
You can use a variable in the subject line of a distributed email but the variale and its value must be stored with the schedule at execution time. You can't specify a variable that is created in a fex, only a variable that is passed to the fex by ReportCaster.

WebFOCUS All Releases

Posts: 45 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 21, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Gerry, and if I want the current date to appear in the subject line putting in '&DATE' (WITHIN SINGLE QUOTES) is enough? Because all it does it return the subject line and the literal &DATE

aix-533 wf-536

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
At the time a schedule is created you have the ability to supply a parameter and it's value in the Advanced window of the Task tab of the ReportCaster Development and Administration Scheduling tool. If you do this those parameters and values are stored in the ReportCaster repository and the values are available at report distribution time. The values are not re-evaluated. The are simply read from the ReportCaster tables with the other schedule information. If you don't store a parameter at all then you will get the literal.

WebFOCUS All Releases

Posts: 45 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 21, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi I came across this topics because I am trying to put a date in my subject line of a report caster job. I have defined the date as a parameter in my report and added to the advanced tab of the RC job. So it looks like this
The name is Date
The value &Yesterday

But when I add the &Yesterday to my subject line either with or without single quotes I just get the literal value of "Yesterday. Can someone let me know when I'm doing wrong. I appreciate it.

WEBFOCUS 7.14
WEBFOCUS.8.04

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The original entry for this was almost 6 years ago and from what I can tell it is still an issue where you cannot supply a parameter from a prcoedure that can be added to subject line.
I am having exactly the same issue as CathyB.
I now have 2 cases where this would be very useful.
Has anyone found a resolution or work around?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
From IBI - 7.7.02
Problem:
How to add a System Variable (&YYMD) to the subject line in ReportCaster.
Solution:
Currently there is no mechanism to do this through a ReportCaster interface.

The following explains how to use amper variables in the subject line to supply
values for the generating procedure: "ReportCaster Development and
Administration Version 7 Release 7.02" (DN4501008.1110) at:
http://documentation.informati...x/html/html_wf_7702/
wf77rcadmin/wf77rcadmin.pdf (DN 4501008.1110 )
(Please note the above URL spans multiple lines.)

Chapter 4: Creating and Maintaining a Schedule
Subsection: Distributing Scheduled Output Using E-mail

Example: Specifying Parameters and Burst Values in an E-mail Subject Line

EX:
DEFINE FILE CAR
TDAY/A10='&YYMD';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT..
BY TDAY NOPRINT
END

In the schedule the subject line to add &YYMD it becomes:

" Schedule for repro on '%BURST'"

NOTE: You may need to select the burst option.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Prarie.
Unfortunately we are already bursting on another value within the report so somehow we have to use the parameter itself within the subject.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Okay when I went back and looked at the report again I realized the value we were bursting on (company name) was a NOPRINT value. Given this I was able to concatenate the report date to the end of name and have it print the company name and report date in the heading of the email - great.

The problem I now have is that because the report date is variable at the time of the report I have to create the burst value as a wildcard. So the burst value is something like:

[wildcard]:HERCULES TIRE*

For some reason when it creates the subject for the email it also includes the wildcard burst value so the subject on the email comes out as:

Month End Report for HERCULES TIRE 07/31/2013, [wildcard]:HERCULES TIRE*

I have no idea why it does that. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any idea how I can suppress the wildcard value?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Seemed to clear up after setting the Packet Email in Report Caster configuration to No and restarting.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows

posted Hide Post
Hello, when you say you restarted, are you saying you restarted the report server or your local Developer Studio?

Thanks!
Pamela

Version: 8002
Gen: 230
Windows 7
Apache Tomcat/7.0.29
HTML, PDF, Excel

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Actually the distribution server.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows