Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     new masters with "red" fields

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
new masters with "red" fields
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm creating masters for the Microsoft CRM application.

In the master I find several fields that are colored RED, because they seems to be reserved words in WebFocus like "DESCRIPTION" "FILENAME" and "MESSAGE".
Should I rename these fields to avoid possible confusion or is this never a problem.

A second question is that there are a lot of views build on the sql database that have the disadvantage there is no key field visible.
I can figur out which logical key fields ther will be, but do I need to?

Frank

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,

I can answer your first question, many of our Masters here have fields called DESCRIPTION and MESSAGE and I've never had a problem calling the fields even though they are reserved. No need to rename. :-)

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you creating the synonym (mfd) manually. Have you tried letting WebFOCUS generate the synonym. That may help with 'keys'. If a file is indexed using the index keys in retrieval is a definite plus. I'm not a DBA though so others may have a better answer for you.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Leah

I do create the master not by hand (I'm a bit lazy) but I do review the result and change some fields (from HYYMDs to YYMD pe)

Frank

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Frank
I have accidently/stupidly/deliberatly had many reserved words in an mfd, with no issues at all.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
They're red in the text editor? I wouldn't worry about that.

I've written quite a few programs that interface with MS CRM and integrated it into a B.I. Dashboard.

I wouldn't be building Masters and Access files manually - you are hopefully using the WF synonym builder.

Views do not have key fields. The views rely on key fields defined in the tables.

Quite a few of the views provided in MS CRM are very inefficient, I decided to create my own views based on the business requirements.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alan, Francis, Carol

that helps

And the inefficiency of the views is already becoming clear to us.
We have to investigate in the knowledge about the CRM system or hire some external guru's to build the views we need.

Even a clear description is not available. Our friends from MS are protecting there invention very well.....

If anybody knows more on this please help...

Frank

Frank

Expert
posted Hide Post
I would get this book:

Working with Microsoft Dynamics(TM) CRM 3.0 by Mike Snyder and Jim Steger (Paperback - April 12, 2006)

but since it's published by MS, I'm not sure how good it is.

There is one other,

Microsoft CRM 3 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) by Joel Scott and David Lee (Paperback - May 22, 2006)

but since I'm not a dummy, I won't be buying this one.

Then join a MS CRM forum.

I created new views based on some of theirs, removing access to tables I wouldn't be using...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post