Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DYNAM CONCAT
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi
Can any one suggest r give me details regarding the below code of FOCUS,

I want to convert the below Line of Code to COBOL,

//*code-starts
DYNAM CONCAT FI TBRMAST XBRMAST
//*code-ends

How to convert this code to COBOL.

????

Focus Core 7.1.1 & 7.6.4
XP
MainFrames

Expert
posted Hide Post
DYNAM CONCAT would be most similar to JCL, not COBOL. The purpose of the command is to treat multiple files that have the same format as a single file. For COBOL you would have one FD for the file but the JCL to run the COBOL program would have one DD card with multiple files for the same DDNAME.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good example on the demostration on how to spot a line of FOCUS code against a line of JCL.

RB4U have the bank not even given you basic JCL courses?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There are two ways you can do this in COBOL

1. Create an Assembler Sub-Routine to issue a Supervisor 99 call. My advice is DO NOT GO THERE, double that if you are wonder what is a supervisor call .

2. The concatenation causes one file to be read then the other in order. You can accomplish the same functionality by using two FD statements. Read the first to End of File (TBRMAST), then Read the second (XBRMAST) to end of file using the same logic.

But, the real question is: why change from FOCUS to COBOL? Well written FOCUS code is just as efficient as any COBOL. I have seen instances, where the COBOL performed worst then the FOCUS equivalent.

Jim Morrow
Web Focus 7.6.10 under Windows 2003
MVS 7.3.3

Expert
posted Hide Post
I though I would never agree with you Tony Music, This probably should be done in JCL.

Also keep in mind DYNAM is also a CLIST/REXX command.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Waz,

My point (albeit it slightly obscure Frowner) was that knew what DYNAM does, and if he had any JCL training at all (his platform in mainframe), then he would realise that the requirement could be fulfilled by a line in his JCL and not in his Cobol.

I find it most discouraging that some folks are being asked to achieve certain tasks without either the training or the ability to research themselves. They seem to think "I'll get the naive folks on Focal Point to do it for me".

BTW Congrats on winning with the most useful tip! (IMHO)

Jim, expect a PM as per promise at Summit.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Even worse is the management types who order changes to something that "Isn’t broke". It seems there is a process that works and meets the business need, because rb4u is cloning that process. But, someplace somewhere a decision maker has gotten the idea WebFocus/Focus is not a good tool to use.

Jim Morrow
Web Focus 7.6.10 under Windows 2003
MVS 7.3.3

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Actually the work assigned for me is to convert a FOCUS code to COBOL. The code that i have mentioned previously can be done using JCL, i just want to know whether COBOL code gives a better result r not.
Thanks to all your replies.

And also need help regarding the above mentioned conversion of the FOCUS code to both COBOL & JCL.

Is it possible to convert to COBOL/JCL as that of FOCUS.

[I am new to Mainframe Technology]

Thanks.

Focus Core 7.1.1 & 7.6.4
XP
MainFrames

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Really weird! I can understand converting COBOL to FOCUS, but the opposite? Somebody is really way out in left field...
Now, if you wanted to convert FOCUS to WebFOCUS, that would be interesting. Mayube you can suggest it...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
rb, there is no auto tool to convert FOCUS to COBOL. You will have to read the FOCUS code to discern the business rules and then rewrite the whole thing in COBOL. You'll have a lot more code to write and debug when you are through. I don't envy you but good luck!

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
For COMP 3 PIC S9(11)V9(2) or whatever, FOCUS P and D formatted data will have to be converted via PCKOUT. Zoned decimal will also have to be converted.

The DYNAM CONCAT means multiple files with the exact same structure; they would equal 1 copybook.

Good Luck, you'll need it!!!

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
RB4U,
quote:
I am new to Mainframe Technology

Make sure that you ask your management for adequate training then.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Unless your getting rid of Focus, I think its a bad idea to go to Cobol, more from the development and maintenance perspective.

Although this is about DB2, about 12 years ago IB Australia went head to head Focus against COBOL reading DB2. as I remember a day or two for FOCUS, weeks of SQL tuning for COBOL and could not match performance.

should the conversion to Cobol happen ?

I would hope a review and comparison of the costs development and ongoing should be done to see what is the best for you.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Waz, We are talking about management here! You would think decision are made on what the long term financial picture is like, but usually it is about what the manager understands. If they don't understand what Focus/WebFocus can do and the licensing costs are high they will get rid of it.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Well said Pat. I fight that battle here all the time. Thank goodness I'm winning or I'd be up there asking you for a job.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I am aware of many companies that get "New Management" that decide to get rid of that "Old outdated Focus", this new osftware is better, usually only because it is the current "Buzz Word".

One in particular spent a couple of Million to replace focus only to give up due to the cost.

There need to be an understanding of why this is happening, and it should be our jobs to educate management on what the capabilities of Focus are.

p.s.
Sorry for Venting

Waz...

In Focus since 1984