Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Column Heading in excel too long - It prints with a special character

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Column Heading in excel too long - It prints with a special character
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I'm having a issue with a excel column heading which is relatively long(see below). It prints with a special character(square box) in the heading where I have commas to print the heading in next line.

TABLE FILE TABLE A
SUM
EXER_NUM_US AS 'No.of Policies,Exercising,GPO - YTD (US)'
BY YEAR
BY ISS_YR
END
-RUN

IT PRINTS AS "No.of Policies(square box)Eligible for(square box)GPO - YTD (US)"

When i double click the column in excel it looks good but when we first open the report it shows as above and the user is not happy with it.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

Thank you
RK

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Excel, PDF, Pivot, HTML
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
The following shows perfectly OK run from 7.7.03 to MS Excel 2007

TABLE FILE IBISAMP/CAR
  SUM RCOST
      DCOST
   BY COUNTRY AS 'No.of Policies,Exercising,GPO - YTD (US)'
   BY CAR
   BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END
-RUN

What version of MS Excel are your end users / you using?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
TOny's code works perfectly in both Excel 2000 and Excel 2007, when run from 7.7.02.

Are you using an older version of excel than 2000?

WebFOCUS 7.7.02Windows
Output Formats: Excel, HTML, PDF

posted Hide Post
we use EXCEL 2007. The problem is, this error doesn't occur all the time. Most of the time it occurs in caster jobs. When I run the report it print's ok but the same report from caster sometimes it prints out with small square character. Not sure why this error is inconsistent.

Any suggestions?

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Excel, PDF, Pivot, HTML
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
How did you get the text in the title, type it or cut and paste ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Just a thought ... have you tried removing the commas and using "TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=N3,WRAP=nnn,$ " ?

WF 7.6.10, Windows, PDF, Excel

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary,
I used WRAP & Squeeze and it does wrap but the text still print in single line and most of it is hidden because I wrapped. Full column title is not visible because of WRAP.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Excel, PDF, Pivot, HTML
Windows

posted Hide Post
Waz,
I typed it.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Excel, PDF, Pivot, HTML
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used WRAP & Squeeze

Use WIDTH with WRAP not SQUEEZE

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I now used WRAP and WIDTH in my stylesheet. It works that way I wanted in development and hoping it will look the same in caster too once its scheduled.

Thank you Tony!

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Excel, PDF, Pivot, HTML
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
A pleasure Smiler

T