Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] sending pdf to Oki-Data printer

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] sending pdf to Oki-Data printer
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a user that is trying to send a pdf output to OKI-Data printer. Is there anything
special that needs to be done to get this working?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Version 7.17

Posts: 31 | Location: The Hertz Corp(Oklahoma City) | Registered: March 30, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Which printer you are sending to has nothing do do with any WF settings. PDF means "portable document format" meaning that it is standard across any OS, printer, etc. The Acrobat reader and printer driver handle all of the necessaries.

Now if you're talking about automatically sending to a printer via ReportCaster, there's a whole different story. Most printers don't natively know what a PDF stream is so you have to handle printing through specific printer queues or create the document in Postscript format for a PS-enabled printer (the appearance of the output is nearly identical.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin, this this something that we need to set up in our DOS commands on each printer that will be using the OkiData, or is this something that should be set up on the IBI? Thanks for your help.

Web Focus Developer Studio Release 7.6.1 Output formats include Excel, PDF, HTML, XML.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 05, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darin, this this something that we need to set up in our DOS commands on each printer PC that will be using the OkiData, or is this something that should be set up on the IBI? Thanks for your help.

Web Focus Developer Studio Release 7.6.1 Output formats include Excel, PDF, HTML, XML.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You don't give me much information on what it is you're doing so I'm going from previous post. And the answer is neither, really. Again, printing of PDF documents has nothing to do with WF. WF creates the PDF document just as any other tool would and it is handled with Adobe Acrobat Reader which is called from the browser when the report is returned. From there, printing is via a windows printer driver, so there isn't anything DOS involved either. All you need is Acrobat Reader and the Windows printer driver for your Okidata printer. Those will have to be on any PC that will be used to print PDF docs, but again that is standard setup for printing ANY PDF doc, not just WF reports.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin, thank you for responding. After more testing to this printer, I found that if I set the job to ONLINE-FMT HTML or DOC or EXL2K the print is just fine, but the placement of the fields on the form is lost when the print comes out. It's though the printer doesn't recognize spaces. When I change this to PDF, the print is illegible but the spacing is correct. All our PC's are set up with Adobe Reader and PDF documents print just fine to the laser printers. I'm baffled.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you using any special fonts or images in the document? If so try changing to Arial or Times and see fi you have the same issue. Never seen an issue where Adobe Reader doesn't print what is displayed unless there is a printer problem. Are there any issues if you send this same doc to another printer?

I'm a little confused as to what you are referring when you say the "print is fine" or "print is illegible" vs. "placing on the form" or "spacing is correct." Do you mean the display on the screen vs. the printed document? When you say "print" I'm think something that the printer printed on paper.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

posted Hide Post
I have discovered that the OkiData 3410 we are using does not recognize PDF or web page fonts. All other applications print fine. So I am changing the format to WP. Running into a problem - there are two blank pages before the output detail. I've been searching the site for examples, resolutions, but cannot find any. Any ideas as to why I am getting 2 blank pages in the output before the detail?

-----------------------------

PAGE 1

PAGE 2

XX

PAN MA
XX

2 D 8 H N 4 4 E 2 9 R 5 1 3 6 8 9

2009 DODGEGR CARAVAN RTKH VAN 6 7 4

posted Hide Post
I found an answer - 'NOLEAD'.

On the output pages, when I print them from the browser the 'Page 1 of x' appears on the top right and the web address with the date appears on the bottom of each page. How do I get rid of this? Has to be in my browser settings.

posted Hide Post
I found this answer - File/Page Setup/Header and Footer should be blank. I guess I just asked too quickly.

-------------------------
I do have a question about the output. There is a '1' in the top left of the page. I'm not putting this on the form as a field. Any ideas where this is coming from? Output is WP. I'm a newbie and appreciate your help.

1 1

XX

PAN MA
XX

1 F M E U 7 4 E 7 9 U A 0 9 8 9 9

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Those are headers and footers that are there by default when you print from your browser. They look like

&w&bPage &p of &P

and

&u&b&d

If you go into File>Page Setup (Or click on the Settings icon from Print Preview) in your browser, you can see where they are and remove them.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991