Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DevStudio 7.6.9, HF1, HF2 Problems and Complaints

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DevStudio 7.6.9, HF1, HF2 Problems and Complaints
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Has anyone else had problems with HF1?

After moving from 7.6.8 to 7.6.9 I started having master file parsing errors within DevStudio. I did not have these problems before and the code still runs, I just can't use report painter on certain files.

So now I decided to apply HF1 thinking that maybe it may fix these problems. HF1 seems to envoke the "QuickClose" feature when I use the where builder. (AKA AppCrash) Can anyone relate to this problem?

Also I noticed in 7.6.9 report painter now uses a long field name in the code 'CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY' instead of just referencing the field COUNTRY. Since I work in the text editor a majority of the time its became a little bit of a pain working with it. Is there a toggle setting for this or is this something I just need to get use to working with?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trob,

------------------------------------------
DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Posts: 86 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: May 10, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I believe there are a few recent posts on problems with DevStudio v7.6.9 HotFix 1

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
long field name
Have you checked Dev Studio > Window > Options > Reporting > Always author reports with qualified field names?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
quote:
long field name
Have you checked Dev Studio > Window > Options > Reporting > Always author reports with qualified field names?

Lol, I think that fell off my window when I upgraded. I guess that is a new feature. Now I just wonder where it could have gone.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
7.6 Release notes
Note: There is a new option in Developer Studio for providing fully-qualified field names
in areas other than the Report Painter in Version 7 Release 6.1. To have fully-qualified
field names in your Update Assist wizard and application, you must use this new option.
To enable it, from Developer Studio select Window, Options, the Reporting tab, and then
select the Always author reports using qualified field names check box.

7.6.9 Release notes This feature will be removed and you will be force to USE THE GUI FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!
j/k-hopefully it was just looked over, because I'm too lazy to type the qualified name.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with HF-1 for 769. After installing it I tried to do some active report development. Clicking the 'Options' button more often than not invoked the so-called "QuickClose" feature. Uninstalling HF-1 solved that problem.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there is a problem with hot fix 1 that we caught after shipping it that may result in Dev Studio shutting down unexpectedly. The issue has been fixed and will ship most probably next week as hot fix 2.

Fully-qualified names is now the default in the product and there is no toggle to turn it off. Fully qualified names are safer to use since there is no ambiguity in the names and that has resolved many issues raised in the past where the wrong instance of a field name was used.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Prior to installing HF-1 I used 7.6.9 for about a month and was happy with everything except the qualified field names and I was getting an "Error Parsing MASTER File XXXXXXX (0)" occasionally.

I could not figure it the master file problem. The code would actually run and I don't have this problem in 7.6.8 with the same code. Using the GUI if I tried to open the file at the beginning of my code it would work fine however if I opened it just a bit later in the logic I would receive the prior message. So from the broken point on I could not use the Join builder, Report Painter, etc.

I guess with the release of 7.6.9 the DevStudio "GUI"(gooey) will now be know as an "IKY"(icky) instead. IKY-(I KEEP YELLING!!!)

7.6.8, here I come...again.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Glick:
Unfortunately there is a problem with hot fix 1 that we caught after shipping it that may result in Dev Studio shutting down unexpectedly. The issue has been fixed and will ship most probably next week as hot fix 2.

Fully-qualified names is now the default in the product and there is no toggle to turn it off. Fully qualified names are safer to use since there is no ambiguity in the names and that has resolved many issues raised in the past where the wrong instance of a field name was used.

Thanks for your follow up David.
Case#: 51672519---I guess I'll have to wait for HF2.

I understand the reasoning behind the fully qualified names because it helps dumb-down the product and will suit a pure IKY development environment, however it is a pain for TED development. Also in the past I know it was a 'disabled' option. Why not leave the option there and change it to 'enabled' by default before just totally removing it. Working with my data I always stay aware of my field naming so that I don't trip over the wrong instance.

Think about this. Add the qualified field names option back with it checked by default and if you were to turn it off you receive a warning notice to caution the ambiguity of naming.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's good to read that there will be an even hotter fix to fix the hotfix.
I'll be waiting for this second one.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
a problem with hot fix 1 that we caught after shipping
Any valid reason why it wasn't caught in testing?

quote:
7.6.8, here I come...again.
I'm seriously considering going back to 7.1.6 (again). The big thing that I like about 7.6.9 is the new chaining abilities (excellent Lab David) but crashing DS and other "features" is starting to outweigh the benefits (again!) Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fully-qualified names is now the default in the product and there is no toggle to turn it off.
H0ly cr@pfish, Batman!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, so "Fully-qualified names is now the default in the product", can someone explain the following code that gets generated by the report painter:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     'CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY'
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
WHERE CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY NE 'JAPAN';
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

If there's a reason why the column names are in quotes, shouldn't the same rule be applied to the WHERE statement, where the column name is NOT in quotes???

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Where did you get that code. My GUI/IKY doesn't do that. Oh wait, what does this strange "Text View" tab do?

Wow, it looks like some strange assembly of words, letters, and numbers with an occasional ' " or ; thrown in. I wish IBI would just remove that "Text View" tab so I never accidentally click on it again.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Fully-qualified names is now the default in the product and there is no toggle to turn it off.

I'm sorry...but I think WE the customer should have the right to turn it off...if not interested. That just all too confusing to deal with. Frowner

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There must be a world beyond FocalPoint where other WebFOCUS users live and are listened to, because of all the problems we at FocalPoint have been yelling about, this ain't one of them.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well we need to go find all those people.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I guess those people don't use the JOIN editor either. Just another undocumented feature that loves to change my window size everytime I open it.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

<JG>
posted
Got to have a say on this.

A DEFAULT is only a DEFAULT if you have the option to change it.

Fully qualified field names in 7.6.9 is not a DEFAULT for that single reason
it's simply a major pain.
Next thing you know they will change the parser so that even manually written
code has to use the things.

The excuse that customers have incompetent employees or consultants
hasn't caused the likes of Microsoft or Oracle to introduce such a bizarre
way of working.

Francis is quite correct, I do not think I have ever see a single post on the
forum complaining about not having fully qualified field names, but I have seen
a few complaining about the damnable things.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
This seems to break every so often.

Error parsing report request
>'I8YYMD'<
COMPUTE TEST/YYMD = DATECVT(&YYMD,'I8YYMD','YYMD');

At least it still works in TED.

From my open case:
********************** COMMENTS FROM INFORMATION BUILDERS **********************

It's a problem that will have to be reported to Programming -- it's
not a 7.6.9 issue per se. You get the same parsing error on several
previous releases.

********************************************************************************

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Guru
posted Hide Post
Anybody know if the Fully Qualified Names thing is going to go away? I'm editing some large procedures that I created mostly in the text editor. Since I 'made the mistake of' opening the reports in the GUI I've got Fully Qualified Names everywhere - even on my DEFINED fields!

Now I'm getting errors that certain fields can not be found. That's because they don't exist where the Fully Qualified Name suggests they do.

Very frustrating!

Dan

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis:

There's "a world beyond FocalPoint where other WebFOCUS users live", a few at that. Although I don't know that anyone is listening to them any more then here at FocalPoint. I used to frequent "a href="http://it.toolbox.com/home/search/?r=WEBFOCUS&=">The IT Tool Box but found that there are a lot more newbies there and it seems to me (imho) that the phrase "blind leading the blind" fits all too often.

So, imho, I have found that FocalPoint is The Best for WebFOCUS postings. No surprises there, huh?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody know if the Fully Qualified Names thing is going to go away?

Dan,

If you do not need the new features such as the new chaining, then my advice would be to take your Dev Studio back a few releases to a "reasonably stable" version (such as 7.1.6 Wink) before the new PITA features were applied. You can survive on a previous release and even hand code some of the new stable features (not that there are many base code features).

The only problem I can see would be if you rely on the GUI completely.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
From my open case:
********************** COMMENTS FROM INFORMATION BUILDERS **********************
Yes, I checked and it was a deliberate change in the latest WebFOCUS release. We can send a request to Product Management to see if they will put back in the ability to turn off qualified field names.

********************************************************************************

It seems that is was a decision made by product mgmt with no intent of changing back. However I would recommend opening a case and requesting the option be placed back in the product. Customer feedback through case management is the best way to guide the future of the product, so please open a case if you would like product mgmt to review this decision

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Since an upgrade from 7.6.8 to 7.6.9 I have started to see this error within DevStudio.

Error Parsing MASTER File

Error Parsing MASTER File XXXXXXX (0)

This is a known issue in many versions of DevStudio that is being
worked on. I found this occurred in 767, 768, and 769. This is the
current workaround for the issue.

DevStudio 8.2.03
WFS 8.2.03

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Customer feedback through case management is the best way to guide the future of the product

Is this a new feature? I don't think it's working.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that I have to say this... BUT, Any "deliberate changes to WebFOCUS" that takes away functionality should not be done. It's frustrating to get used to something and have it taken away... Arg! Frowner

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post