Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] CSV file without quotes

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] CSV file without quotes
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Does anyone know if there is a file format that will give me a csv file without a header and without quotes around text? I know there is FORMAT COM but that has quotes around text. There is FORMAT DFIX which allows me to define delimiter, header, etc, but that comes out as wfservlet.ibfs. I'd prefer the file to come out as [file_name].csv. Its possible that I might be able to change a redirection setting somewhere, but I don't know which one I would need to flip.

Any thoughts? Worse comes to worse I'll just have to tell them to save as .csv. But I'd prefer to not have to do that.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try COMMA.

RC formats

Usually pumps out in Excel with no headers or quotes.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use COMMA. Not only does it enclose character values in double quotes, it pads them to the full length of the field.

I would suggest using DFIX. By default it creates a file with extension FTM. You can change that with a FILEDEF

FILEDEF filename DISK baseapp/filename.csv

TABLE FILE ...
ON TABLE HOLD AS filename FORMAT DFIX DELIMITER ,

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I didn't think about using filedef. The one problem though is that the user has to download the file and Filedef won't work with a PCHOLD...

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Eric, are you working on the eNC3 file? I am too. I've managed to get a file to pass the test in the portal. I used COMMA, then had to do a little further manipulation in Excel. But I got there without too much hassle.

I am putting together my WebFOCUS code and instructions to send out to the SSAFinance listserve.

Kevin Patterson
Appalachian State University
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can always post process the file if you HOLD it.

Then use HTMLFORMTYPE and HTMLFORM to return it

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Waz,

using HTMLFORM returns it to the screen. I've also seen people mention using edaget, which unfortunately is also returning it to the screen. I need the file to download.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Master
posted Hide Post
Somethings I've tried with no joy Frowner Both of these output to the screen instead of prompting for download

FILEDEF MOODLE_GRADES DISK foccache/moodle_grades.csv
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CAR
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS MOODLE_GRADES FORMAT DFIX
	DELIMITER ,
	HEADER NO
	PRESERVESPACE NO
END
-RUN

-MRNOEDIT EX EDAGET TXT,foccache/moodle_grades.csv,T
-* also this

FILEDEF MOODLE_GRADES DISK foccache/moodle_grades.csv
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CAR
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS MOODLE_GRADES FORMAT DFIX
	DELIMITER ,
	HEADER NO
	PRESERVESPACE NO
END
-RUN

-SET HTMLFORMTYPE = CSV

-MRNOEDIT -HTMLFORM MOODLE_GRADES 

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the mime settings for csv in the admin console ?

Thinking you could de-associate csv with an application and it may download or give you the option to download.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Have you tried DFIX with ON TABLE SAVE....
Add a FILEDEF to where you want the file to be saved.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT SALES BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SAVE AS DF01 FORMAT DFIX DELIMITER ' '
END

Thank your for participating in the Focal Point Forum.

Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tamra,

Please see my last post. I am currently using DFIX which is FTM output. I'm trying to change the file type from ftm to csv so the user doesn't need to do a save as and remember to change the extension.

Waz,

yes, I tried de-associating csv in the mime settings and it didn't have any effect.

I ended up just putting a note on the launch page telling the user to change the file extension to csv. Its not clean, but its not worth spending to much time on either. I think users can handle a "Save As" process. I just prefer to do things "cleaner" when possible.

Maybe I should add a NFR to add the ability to define the file extension for DFIX since you can define the delimiter, header, etc already.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2