Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] ReportCaster attachment size issue / workaround

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] ReportCaster attachment size issue / workaround
 Login/Join

posted
Using WebFOCUS 8201m in Linux Red Hat VM on AS/400.

Long time ReportCaster use with no issues, but recently added a new report schedule that generates large Excel file (7+ meg). 

Mail server has 10 meg attachment limits, bumped to 25 for testing with no affect.

Sending to single email address works, but when sending to a distribution list only the first email account attempted is successful.  Getting 'IOEception while sending message' to 2nd email address when job fails and no additional attempts are made.

Distribution list does work for this report with a different date selection and file size 2~3 megs.  

Also, email addresses appear to be processed in random order.  First / last email address in list is not always the first email address used.  Also not in alpha sort order.

Workaround is to not use distribution list and instead send to email address(s). Obviously taking more effort to maintain large list of recipients but fortunately this is impacts a small number of reports for us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Dennis Tuttle
WebFOCUS 8.201M
iSeries V7.2
Active, HTML, Excel

Posts: 12 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 01, 2017Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nice Thread Thanks for posting this!!!

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Must have something to do with your environment (besides the email server limit). Is your report FORMAT EXL2K or XLSX? If EXL2K did you try the zip option in Report Caster? Can you use XLSX? These are actually a zip file so they are compressed. I send .xlsx files all the time using distribution lists that are larger than that (our limit is 25MB for attachments) and have never had an issue as long as I stay under the 25MB limit. Another option is to use ftp/sftp in Report Caster or in a script to send the file to a machine the user's can access. I have some jobs that do this.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We're using an Excel template (xltm) which is merged with report data to create the macro-enabled workbook (xlsm). I can work on generating a large report to a standard workbook (xlsx) to see if that makes a difference. That would be interesting, and also better isolate an issue if the error doesn't occur with the standard Excel files.

Creating the zip file didn't change anything. Only sent to the first address in the distribution list.

FTP not an option in this environment.

My belief is that this is somehow tied to using the distribution lists.

Dennis Tuttle
WebFOCUS 8.201M
iSeries V7.2
Active, HTML, Excel

Posts: 12 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 01, 2017Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I ran into something similar recently and found that changing from EXL2K to XLSX for the output format made the file small enough that it didn't have the issue. Hopefully that will work for you, too.

--Deb

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (production), 8.2.06 (testing)
AppStudio, InfoAssist
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 183 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 05, 2017Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
DennisET, it must have something to do with your environment. I do this all the time with regular Distribution and Dynamic Distribution lists. We aren't on 8.2 yet (still having tomcat version issues), but I have no issues like this in 8.0.08. I have a semi-annual job with 11 tasks and each tasks produces a report. These reports are EXL2K templates and XLSM templates. They vary in size from 22K to 61MB (this one is EXL2K template with 13 sheets in the workbook). I have Report Caster put them in a zip file and they are emailed to a distribution list with 6 recipients without error.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post