Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Multi-select deselection issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Multi-select deselection issue
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings,

This is my first forum post, so be gentle!
I am newer to WebFocus and I was looking for some help with an issue I'm having with multi select dropdown menus.

Below I've included a simple CAR example that has a multi select drop down menu populated with countries.
When I multi select, leave the list box, then re enter the multi select, it deselects all but the last option.
This is an issue at my company where the drop down menu may contain dozens and dozens of options.
This deselection issue causes the user to have to re select each option.

I know that I am able to use a listbox for multi select instead, but the behavior of the dropdown multi select is better than the listbox multi select except for this issue.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I've tried playing around with IbComposer_getCurrentSelectionEx()/IbComposer_setCurrentSelection() in different event triggers for the drop down menu, but I've had no luck so far.

Thanks!

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META id=RLT_STANDARDS_MODE_META http-equiv=X-UA-Compatible content=IE=9>
<META name=mycharsetmeta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<META name=Generation content="Created in release 8008, Generation 3">
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//confidential_id=IBI_OptionsScript
var szHtmlAlias="/ibi_apps/ibi_html";var szRunTimeHtmlAlias="runTimeHtmlAlias";var cgipath="cgipath";var ibirls="ibirls3";var rltdyncalendar="rltdyncalendar";var map="ibimap";var olap="olap";var olappanebase="olappanebase";var olapdrill="olapdrill";var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls);var nlsScript="/javaassist/nls.js";var nlsVarsScript="/javaassist/nlsvars.js";var glbScript="/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js";var replacePart="<replace>";
var scriptTemplate='<SCRIPT src="'+replacePart+'" type="text/javascript"><\/SCRIPT>';if(typeof(szRunTimeHtmlAlias) === 'string' && szRunTimeHtmlAlias.indexOf('/') == 0)szHtmlAlias=szRunTimeHtmlAlias;document.write(scriptTemplate.replace(replacePart, szHtmlAlias + nlsScript));document.write(scriptTemplate.replace(replacePart, szHtmlAlias + nlsVarsScript));document.write(scriptTemplate.replace(replacePart, szHtmlAlias + glbScript));</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//confidential_id=IBI_ibigblloadCss
if(typeof ibigblloadCss === 'function'){ibigblloadCss(null);addIntlTranslatedJS("composertrans.js");}else {alert("JavaScript alias '/ibi_apps/ibi_html'  is not valid");window.location("about:blank");}</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE><LINK id=ITEM2 rel=stylesheet type=text/css rtFileName="cgipathsub/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/composer/themes/nonBindows/IBI-Themes/default_theme.css"><LINK id=IBI_THEME_CSS rel=stylesheet type=text/css desc="Information Builders" rtFileName="cgipathsub/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/composer/themes/nonBindows/IBI-Themes/ibi.css">
<SCRIPT for=window type=text/javascript eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT>//confidential_id=clientEventHandlersJS

//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY class=IBI_PageBg style="OVERFLOW: auto" nextelementuniquenumber="1" maptype="0" thumbnailscale="4" elementtype="21" edaconnectionrequired="true"><SELECT tabIndex=1 class="IBIfield IBI_ReportControlTarget IBI_rounded_s" id=combobox1 style="WIDTH: 230px; POSITION: absolute; LEFT: 210px; Z-INDEX: 1; TOP: 70px" multiselect="multiple" defaultselection="1" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1" name="combobox1"></SELECT><INPUT id=layoutinfo style="POSITION: absolute; LEFT: -100px; TOP: -100px" type=hidden resourcectrlids="ITEM2;IBI_THEME_CSS" name="inputhidden1"><INPUT id=ibiapp_app style="POSITION: absolute; LEFT: -100px; TOP: -100px" type=hidden value=OperationsManagement ismre="1" name="ibiapp_app"><INPUT id=ibif_ex style="POSITION: absolute; LEFT: -100px; TOP: -100px" type=hidden value=/WFC/Repository/OperationsManagement/Ontime_PD/multiselect_example.htm name="ibif_ex"><xml id=focus_xmlelement><script type="text/xml" nextelementuniquenumber="2"><rootxmlnode focoption="_FOC_NULL"><variables></variables><input_controls><input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_1" elementtype="8" name="combobox1" id="combobox1" multiple="0" onetimepopulated="0"><link linktype="default" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1"><condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0"><data_info datatype="1" modifiedrequest="0" sourcetype="typeMaster" checkForDuplicateValues="0" datasource="CAR.mas" ibif_ex="CAR" ibiapp_app="OperationsManagement" displayfield="CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY" ibiformat="A10" dfformat="A10" datafield="CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY"><![CDATA[TABLE FILE CAR
SUM FST.CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
 BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
-*insert_filters_here
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
]]></data_info></condition></link></input_control></input_controls><requests></requests><other_bound_objects></other_bound_objects></rootxmlnode></script>
</xml></BODY>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//confidential_id=IBI_loader
if(typeof doBeforeLoad === 'function'){doBeforeLoad();}function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>
<!-- cc kfvt -->

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrileS,

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

posted Hide Post
My code doesn't seem to be populating the drop down menu properly on my end when I paste this into WF, but if you create a simple drop down menu with multiselect you'll be able to replicate the issue.

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Focus !

Have you consider using double list control instead ? It may solve your issue because otherwise I don't know how to fix your issue.

When you mentioned "leave the list box and then re-enter" you mean click in back again the list box ? If it's the case, it's sure that everything is deselected and just current clicked selection is kept.

A work around for this will be to teach your user to press the key prior to getting back to the list box. This way, the list box will "think" that you would like the add an option to the previous selections.

But having a double list box will avoid all of this...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Thanks for your response. A double list box won't work for my situation because the project requires using a small amount of space for filters (many of which are multi selects experiencing this same issue).

Screenshot examples

If you look at the album I linked above you'll see what I mean. When I click into the drop down list while FRANCE and JAPAN are selected, it deselects FRANCE. Basically, the multiple option for drop down lists doesn't retain all selected values when re opening the drop down.

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you tried with a list box instead of a drop down list ? I normally use list box with multi-select not drop down list.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We use listboxes widely for multi selects, but we prefer the behavior of the drop down list which is why we have been experimenting with it.

If there isn't a fix for this issue then that is fine, but I wanted to see if anyone had found a fix before I gave up.

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's true that the drop down have a nicer look and takes less space on a page, but I think that, even if it seems to be supported, it doesn't manage the multi-select as the list box does.

Except if someone else comes with another solution, I think that your choices are clear.

Don't forget to update your first post and add [SOLVED] at the beginning of the subject.

In Focus since 2007

posted Hide Post
I'm going to leave this as sharing for now to hopefully start a discussion about this. This isn't solved because my requirement is not to use listboxes, and I would like to get more opinions. I will use the multi select dropdown menu whether or not I find a solution to the deselection issue because, in the end, this issue is only a small behavioral nuance. If discussion here does not find me a solution then I will open a case with IB.

So far I've tried using javascript inside of various events such as onafterload, onbeforeload, onblur, and onfocus. I've been trying to pinpoint the exact moment the selections are deselected so that I can call IbComposer_getCurrentSelectionEx()/IbComposer_setCurrentSelection() accordingly. I've been using breakpoints to try to pinpoint this exact moment, but I've not had any luck.

Any ideas or discussions from others would be great!

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional

Expert
posted Hide Post
Pasting your code directly into an HTM file using notepad and then opening in App Studio (8.1.03), and the drop down works perfectly OK.

Running it to IE (10) or Chrome (version 41.0) also works OK. I can click the control, make my selections using the CTRL key, click outside the control and the display shows all selections delimited by semicolons. If I click back in the control, all the previous selections are still shown.

If I do the same thing from Dev Studio (8.0.08) and run it, then I get the behaviour that you describe.

Running the same file from App Studio (8.0.08) and the selections remain when clicking back into the control.

It might be advisable to raise a case with Tech Support on this. If you want precise steps that I used, so that you can compare and add them to the case, then please PM me.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

THANK YOU! I'm so happy that we've at least somewhat isolated where this is occurring. I am indeed using Dev Studio (8.0.08), and I didn't considering trying running it in App Studio. I understand the steps you have taken, and I'll raise a case with tech support this afternoon. I'll update this post when I have case information.

Thanks again for your guys' insights.

WF 8 Version 8008
Windows 7 Professional