Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Multiple Concurrent DB2 Requests

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Multiple Concurrent DB2 Requests
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We had a situation this morning where 8 long running (3+ minutes) request tied up 100% of the CPU on the database server. The dba told us that there is no way of throttling a process to only use x % of the CPU. We are on DB2 8.1.6 and the database runs on AIX 5.2. The reporting servers are on their own AIX box. We connect from the WF Server to the database server via DB2 8 Connect.

We have the DB2 Governor turned on to cut off long running requests. We also leverage Report Scheduling but we can't force our external end users to use it. However they do catch on and schedule the long running reports.

Any thoughts on this?

Jon

WebFOCUS 7.1.3 Windows Client AIX 5.2 Report Servers

Master
posted Hide Post
With WebFOCUS Resource Governor you can force users to do just that.

Scott

Master
posted Hide Post
Your dba prob fibbing. Most rdbms have throttle facility - I know Oracle does. Have a look at the docs for db2.

Having had a long experience with dba s I know what they are like! They are the God user so they think they should act like God!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
8 queries that take over 3 minutes each to run?

There's some great technology that DB2 has that other databases do not, for example their query plan tool is the best I've seen. Your DBA should be your goto on query planning and optimization, but you should have very very few queries that clock in over a minute. It's just a matter of proper indexing and usage of IBM's materialized query tables to facilitate better performance.

The IBM p-series is a solid platform with AIX, but I've seen some fairly old hardware running in production before. You may want to ask your DBA or systems engineers about the hardware itself before tuning your queries.

Feel free to contact me via personal message if you'd like to know more about query optimization or DB2 in general.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input so far. The database server is getting upgraded in the near future. So hopefully that will help. We not in a position to use the Resource Governor Silver Bullet. I will look into any throttle options for DB2.

WebFOCUS 7.1.3 Windows Client AIX 5.2 Report Servers

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hey Jon,

I had our DBA look into this and he found a DB2GOV command that he thinks will do what you need. I don't know too much about it, or even if it's a separate utility or what. You can probably get more information from IBM's website.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post