Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Subtracting Data between Months

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Subtracting Data between Months
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello,

The Data is a roll over total, so the Current Month is the total for the last so many months. I want to display the previous month's value by subracting the Current Month's data from the total. Also, I would like to display several more previous months. Is there a function or short set of functions that can handle this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Production & Development: WebFocus 7.6.4

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Date Functions

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I only have one column. There is no other column that would allow me to get a previous month, I would just have the total. I was wondering if there was a way where I could roll back the time, so that I could get the data off the one lone column. Also, I am not looking for a date, just the data

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are saying that Current Month already is the total for the preceding months, that doesn't make sense. However, if you have Current Month all by itself, then we could do something with a multi-verb request and a compute.

Maybe you should post the code you do have and some sample data so that we could understand more fully what you are trying to do.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey GinnyJakes,

what I mean is for every month a report is created and added to. This report gets overwritten and is not on my side. Now, For let's say August a total given would be $1000, then lets say September from 9/1 to 9/30 is $750, the column instance total would return $1750. For October say $500, the total that would given would be $2250. What I want to do is set a sort of date range, or data/date subtraction function for the field so that I can display the previous several months data total separately. Here, it would be: August's total ($750), September's total ($1750)and October's total ($2250). I hope that makes more sense.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think I do understand what you want, but can you post your master file description.

It would help to help you....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This is very simplistic and you'll have to fool around with the first month of your range (so ignore the August value):

APP FI MODATAMAS DISK modata.mas
-RUN
-WRITE MODATAMAS FILENAME=MODATA,SUFFIX=FIX,$
-WRITE MODATAMAS SEGNAME=MODATA,SEGTYPE=S0,$
-WRITE MODATAMAS FIELDNAME=YRMON,FORMAT=YYM,ACTUAL=A6,$
-WRITE MODATAMAS FIELDNAME=MTDAMT,FORMAT=I6,ACTUAL=A6,$
APP FI MODATA DISK modata.ftm
-RUN
-WRITE MODATA 200808001000
-WRITE MODATA 200809001750
-WRITE MODATA 200810002250
-WRITE MODATA 200811003000
TABLE FILE MODATA
PRINT MTDAMT
COMPUTE CURRMO/I6=MTDAMT - LAST MTDAMT;
BY YRMON
END

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ginny

That's what I expected from the originator of this question!
I try to challenge people to think themselves, but this will be the correct answer I suppose.

Frank

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank, it is a Christmas present to Mayor I suppose.

Generally what happes after I describe a technique in words to give someone the 'opportunity' to grow, someone comes along with a code solution and I don't get any credit for coming up with the answer way back at the beginning of the post.

I can't win. Big Grin

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I give you the credits for this Santa Claus....
I hope the mayor understands that!

Frank

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
GinnyJ - You will get credit from me so here goes:
GinnyJ - thank you for ALL your wonderful insight and endless assistance given this past year (not to imply it wasn't there before Smiler ) to all those that needed it including myself. Happy Holidays to all my fellow focal forumers as well. The list is to long to thank but THANK YOU anyway!
Happy Holidays all!

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I thank you for your help, but this is not what I was looking for. Have a great holiday!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mayor,

Could you give us a data sample, i.e. rows in your input and the master and a sample of the output? Really want to help you and I'm sorry if I misunderstood your needs.

Ira,

Thanks for the kind words. Happy Holidays!

Ginny

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey GinnyJake,

I appreciate it, unfortuntately there are outside factors like time and so forth that play into this one.

Everyone thank you, you've all provided me with great insight and thank you for your help! Have a good One!!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mayor

I will NOT vote for you if it ever comes to voting.....

Have a nice holiday anyhow...

Frank

Gold member
posted Hide Post
wow....that was a whack joke...you should keep those bad comments to yourself. I can tell it took you awhile to come up with that one...you must have practiced it in your lone apartment with the lights off, so you couldnt face yourself in the mirror. Ouch!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well M.

You post a question, you let people think about your problem and after some suggestions and requests for more information the only thing we get back is "this is not what I was looking for"

We all are willing to help, but you are a bit unwilling to explain your problem.

Have a nice holiday....

Frank

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I dont need people to fight me on every question...like anyone who post a blog here...its to seek guidance and direction not to be talked down to. I kept my mouth shut, until the line was crossed (barely). I dont really care who did what because that's childish. So, do yourself a favor and dont reply to any of my postings.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Your wish is my command, and trust me I will ask many others to do so.....

Bye Minor

Frank

Gold member
posted Hide Post
okay...lame....

who cares...your a petty person

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone - Please refrain from posting negative responses. Focal Point is a pleasant place and an educational site. Moving forward let us start the new year fresh and be helpful to all. Cheers to a virtual hand shake from everyone on this string.

Happy New Year to you all and best wishes in 2009. I hope that this year brings everyone much success. Thank you very much and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

We will go ahead and mark this post as closed.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Butler
Information Builders

Posts: 391 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Report This Post