Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ReporCaster API and .NET

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ReporCaster API and .NET
 Login/Join

posted
I am creating a ASP.NET app that needs to call ReportCaster. Can I call ReportCaster API from a .NET app?

My understanding was using the ReportCaster Web Service was the way to go with a .NET app. But I just discovered we didn't purchase that feature, and most likely won't. So now I am back to looking at the API. We are not a JAVA shop.

Your info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
SW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows Server 2003

Posts: 23 | Location: Nashville | Registered: April 10, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If you cannot purchase WebFOCUS Web Services Enablement, Then to use the API you would have to use JAVA or create your own jsp pages that you could call as a http request from you ASP page. I believe that most companies that use ASP also use the Web Services component.

Scott

posted Hide Post
In the documentation, I see where I can call API subroutines from an HTML from.

<FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/ibiweb.exe" METHOD="get">
<INPUT NAME="IBIF_ex" VALUE="procedure_name" TYPE="hidden">

Is this what you were referring to, TexasStingray?
SW.

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows Server 2003

Master
posted Hide Post
That's not the API that a call to WebFOCUS as if you were calling in from a browser, it the CGI, there is also the WFServlet. WFServlet is the newer client, it uses an application server such as tomcat. When someone talks about API they generaly mean programming because the product does not provide exactly what they want. In your .NET app you can call http services just as if you were calling it directly from a browser, but that not what most people want from waht I understand as they want to protect the querystring from the user seeing it. Like I said if you cannot purchase the Web Server Enablement then you must make an http call or program in java as that is what the API is written. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Web Services is the recommended and official way to create/edit ReportCaster schedules from .NET.

You can also use the ReportCaster Servlet API that a few people have referenced:
http://documentation.informati...i/source/topic43.htm

I have also seen people do direct inserts into the ReportCaster database, but this option is unsupported and if not done properly can prevent ReportCaster from functioning.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
ReportCaster Web Services is the only thing supported for a .NET application to integrate with ReportCaster functionality.

You should be aware that the WebFOCUS Web Services Enablement Option licenses you for the following:

WebFOCUS Web Services
ReportCaster Web Services
Reporting Server Web Services

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone, I appreciate all this information. I will pull all this together and inform our powers-that-be and see if they go for it (purchasing the WF Web Services Enablement Option).

As the designer/developer of this application, I need to investigate all my options in case they don't purchase the Web Services.

Currently I am looking into:
- calling API subroutines from HTML
- manually inserting rows into the ReportCaster database's tables and then letting the users manage their scheduled reports via ReportCaster from their Dashboard.

Thanks again everyone.

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows Server 2003

Master
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS Web Services Enablement Option - Provides Web Services enablement of WebFOCUS content. Enable WebFOCUS to publish WebFOCUS content as a Web Service.

WebFOCUS Web Services Adapter - Enables WebFOCUS Reporting Server to consume Web Services.

Two Seperate and Licensed Options.

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That is correct.
The Web Services adapter is a separate license.

What I was referring to was Reporting Server Web Services which will be available with 7.7.

See the following WebFOCUS Newsletter I wrote on Reporting Server Web Services:

http://www.informationbuilders...r/10-2/03_efrem.html

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post