Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     GRAPH with error-bars (or "whiskers")?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
GRAPH with error-bars (or "whiskers")?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hello all,

Another GRAPH question. Yeay!

I've been asked whether we can create a certain type of graph using WebFOCUS. The graph in question contains several lines for different articles based on measurements. Each measurement has an X-value and a resulting measured Y-value with a deviation range.

I need to plot these lines, with an error-bar for the low/high deviation on the measured Y-value. These error-bars are what's bothering me for whether WebFOCUS (7.6!) can do that.

Alternatively, does anyone have any experience sending graph requests off to an external tool, for example gnuplot? We're running into one limitation of the GRAPH engine after another, it's starting to look like an attractive option... Frowner

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wep5622,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Wep5622,

From our graph expert: I am not aware of a way to accomplish the type graph you are asking for. And to answer the question of how to move graphs to a different graph language you would just table and hold the data to a format the other language can handle.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Netherlands, the kind of graf you want is called Box & Whiskers.
I'm in 7.6.8 (antique, i know),
Open the Advanced Graf Assist tool.
It will show you the bar chart types by default.
pick the 1st one in the 2nd row.
they call it 'Error bar'
but it's Box & Whiskers.
You should be fine.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Aha, so they're called "Whiskers" then. Good to know.

Unfortunately, I need those whiskers on a line-graph instead of on a bar-graph.
Additionally, I need several lines with whiskers in a single graph.

It looks like this is impossible with the current graph engine...

Excel can create these graphs, so this is going to be a bit of a hard sell to the user.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Wep5622,

Might not be exactly what you want...
...but perhaps close enough?

-* some fake data
TABLE FILE CAR
	SUM 
		SALES
		COMPUTE LOW/D12 = SALES * AVE.SEATS / 7;
		COMPUTE HIGH/D12 = SALES * AVE.SEATS / 2;
	BY	CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS TEST
END

-* graphed in adv.graph edit ( cleared out the junk to post it to focalpoint )

GRAPH FILE TEST
SUM HIGH
LOW
SALES
BY CAR
ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT PNG
ON GRAPH SET HTMLENCODE ON
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHDEFAULT OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 770
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 405
ON GRAPH SET UNITS PIXELS
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH VLINE
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ADVANCED
ON GRAPH SET GRMULTIGRAPH 0
ON GRAPH SET GRLEGEND 0
ON GRAPH SET GRXAXIS 1
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setReportParsingErrors(false);
setSelectionEnableMove(false); 
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(0),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(1),true);
setTransparentBorderColor(getSeries(2),true);
setDepthRadius(0); 
setUseSeriesShapes(true);
setPlace(true);
setFillColor(getSeries(0),new Color(255,0,0));
setLineWidth(getSeries(0),0);
setFillColor(getSeries(1),new Color(0,255,0));
setLineWidth(getSeries(1),0);
setMarkerShape(getSeries(1),17);
setMarkerShape(getSeries(0),17);
setMarkerSize(getSeries(1),75);
setMarkerSize(getSeries(0),75);
setMarkerShape(getSeries(2),2);
setFillColor(getSeries(2),new Color(0,0,0));
ENDSTYLE
END

Good luck

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Interesting workaround! It looks like I may be able to use that.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a VLINE type graph, so my X-values will just be in sequence instead of on the correct coordinate. Frowner
I think a scatter-graph could be coerced to behave the same though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wep5622,