Focal Point
[SOLVED] Where does App Studio store fonts and colours?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/5507087096

September 18, 2018, 11:13 AM
Wep5622
[SOLVED] Where does App Studio store fonts and colours?
I'm about to upgrade App Studio to a new minor version, but the installer always overwrites my settings for text editor colours and resets the font to that "abomination" called 'Courier New' (Like I'm writing code on an old-fashioned typewriter - it has no place in this millenium).

I obviously do not want to lose those settings! Does anyone know where they are stored?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :
September 18, 2018, 12:03 PM
CoolGuy
During the few years I used to use AppStudio, I'd always just change them back after every update. I have since seen the light and use VS Code instead of "abominations"... Wink ...in conjunction with this extension.

Probably the same spot they store old environment settings that magically appear configured after totally uninstalling every known trace of the application from your hard drive and then reinstalling it again, even gutting registry keys...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
September 18, 2018, 01:49 PM
MartinY
A guess
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Information Builders\

There are several xml files with user's preferences. I remember that in the WF6 (or WF7) world I already have backup one (or all) of these files before an upgrade and then restore to have my default restored.
Maybe one of those is the one that you are looking for...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
September 19, 2018, 09:46 AM
TobyMills
Another guess, this could explain why your fonts go away later perhaps.

The ol Windows Registry:

Try this area:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Information Builders\Appstudio81\FOCSHELL\DesktopSettings\fcved

See if you already have your Courier in there for a font name. Mine says Swiss Monospaced (whatever that is).

Let us know if you find it.

Thanks
Toby
September 19, 2018, 09:51 AM
TobyMills
I also see a font of Arial under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Information Builders\Appstudio81\FOCSHELL\DesktopSettings\Shell

It would make sense that some of these are under the HKCU are since each user might choose different fonts.

Under plain HKLM\Software, I see the appstudio information but it's for 82x. I suspect - the way that works is that the settings are copied into the HKCU area when a person first loads up AppStudio and then any customizations are stored under HKCU.

Toby