Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [COMMENT] Dev Studio - HTML Composer - Add new parameter to existing page

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[COMMENT] Dev Studio - HTML Composer - Add new parameter to existing page
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
One of the most tedious tasks I can imagine is to add a new parameter to an existing page. Compound that by having to do it for five pages and it becomes almost unbearable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I agree the HTML editor isn't the best I've seen.

But simply reassigning the run button to the fex will prompt to add the new parameter(s).

You then can either:
Select the Form where to add it. Only thing you have to is some positioning and layout.
or
Just tell it to not add the parameter and add a inputcontrol yourself and assign in to the correct parameter.

Trick is ofcourse to add as much information about the parameter in the fex. This all will be copied to the fex.

e.g.
NOT
-PROMPT &PARAM_A;
And then having to rename it to "Choose reporttype" and changing it to a dropdown with TYPEA "Total recap" and TYPEB "Detailed".

But
-PROMPT &PARAM_A.(<'Total recap',TYPEA>,<'Detailed',TYPEB>).Choose reporttype.;

And as a good practice. I start all fexi with a list of -PROMPTs to prevent having such big parameter in the code some where.

e.g.
-PROMPT &MNTH.Please enter monthnumber.;

TABLE
WHERE MONTHNR EQ &MNTH
END

and not

TABLE
WHERE MONTHNR EQ &MNTH.Please enter monthnumber.
END

...don't leave a mess. Smiler

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Interesting suggestion about the -PROMPT statement, I don't think we use that anywhere. I'll have to experimant with that a bit...

Adding a new parameter is not always that simple, unfortunately.

What happens with some regularity is that we create a launch page with dropdown selections for a few parameters and add some extra chained pre-selection dropdowns to guide the user to the relevant values.

Say, people need to select a CAR, but with the long list of available CARs, it helps to first select a COUNTRY. CAR gets posted to the report, COUNTRY does not.

Then at some later point, there is a requirement to add a COUNTRY parameter to the report as well, for which the existing COUNTRY dropdown is the obvious choice. So, as explained by Dave, we re-bind the Submit button control and let it detect the new parameter and choose to bind it to the existing COUNTRY control. So far so good, however...

On assigning that new COUNTRY parameter to the existing COUNTRY control, HTML Composer deems it necessary to wipe the embedded procedure definition of said control! What on earth for?!? VERY annoying!

Seems a small problem, but it's really not when someone else initially created the report some years ago and you don't even know which file they used to populate the now empty dropdown control!

In such cases we revert the changes to the HTML file using our source control system and start over, this time creating a copy of the contents of the dropdown before assigning the new parameter to it. That's the least painful method we've been able to come up with.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
...that's why we NEVER use embedded code in HTML. Always use a seperate procedure and reference it.

dropdown_cars_in_country.fex
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM COMPUTE DISP/A80 = 'Car: ' | CAR;
BY CAR
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&INPUT_COUNTRY'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

Greets,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
All I wanted to do was add a static parameter to five parameter screens.

Since the reports have evolved since they were first written, when I reassign the fex, a bunch of other variables appear. So I set up a dummy fex, with only the parameters I want controls for and point to that.

I get the new parameter added and give it a value.

After saving, the value disappeared and was replaced by a semi-colon. I had to tediously reopen the five parameter screens and used the GUI to replace the semi-colon with the text I originally entered.

On a couple of screens, the generated code for the new parameter was shoved in between code for an existing parameter, thus rendering them both useless. I had to recreate these screens from scratch.

I just never have understood why I cannot add a control and then connect it to a new parameter and have the parameter passed to the fex WITHOUT having to reassign the run button to the same fex.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<Kathryn Henning>
posted
If the parameter is added to a report or chart that exists on the page, you right-click that report or chart and select “Refresh parameters”. This will cause the “New Parameters” dialog to display for create a control for the new parameters. In the Grouping options area, you can select an existing form or panel to add the control into if desired. If you are adding a parameter to a page that has no report or chart associated, you draw the control, then on the Parameters tab, you create the new parameter and bind the two. Then you move the control into a form or panel if needed. To get it on several pages, you open them all and copy/paste.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
@Kathyrn,

I find that "refresh parameters" doesn't work. Perhaps because I can not "Right-click" the report or chart. It's being opened in a new window.
Only opening the hyperlink properties and changing the settings work ( just clicking the "same, parent, new window"-dropdown ( even without actually changing something ) will "refresh" the parameters.

@Francis,

I understand. But isn't it odd that the reassigned fex has a bunch of variables that appear?
You have a fex being called by an HTML but not all variables are supplied by the HTML? Once again... isn't that odd?
I understand that you might have internal variables that do not need to be supplied by the HTML. If you initialize them ( -SET &PARAM1 = ''; ) they will not be shown in the HTML add paramater screen.

My two cents:
I'm think you issue with the HTML composer is just a symptom of an underlying problem/situation.

G'luck

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, refresh parameters only works when there is am iframe containing the report.

Tying the HTML page to the report is the most annoying thing about HTML Composer. Why can't I control what happens between the HTML page and the report?

When I reassign the fex, why, sometimes, does the GUI add an outlined box and push the Run button down by a couple of inches from where it was?

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Good One

A couple of inches... ...lucky you.

Sometimes I need the "thumbnail" view to find out where an input ( or run button ) went. Positions in excess of 4000px+ have happend.

Expert
posted Hide Post
'fexi'
i love that!
frankie i do exactly what you do
and i do it with a 'container' fex.
so the html always calls the same fexname.
the container is:
-* this is budget_container
-DEFAULT &parm1 = 'lucy';
-DEFAULT &parm2='ethel';
-INCLUDE someapp/budget_report.fex

the defaulted 2 parms are the ONLY ones i want to appear in the launch page
When i want to rebuild, i comment out the -INCLUDE
so the launch page never knows it exists.
then add a new parm
-* this is budget_container
-DEFAULT &parm1 = 'lucy';
-DEFAULT &parm2 = 'ethel';
-DEFAULT &parm3 = 'fred';
-*INCLUDE someapp/budget_report.fex

This container concept is especially handy when backend fexes fexi are launched from other portals, over which you have zero control.
So the other portal launchs 'budget_container.fex'
and you're then free to do whatever the sam hill you want, without having to find bribe someone on the portal team to change its link.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
susannah, I love this revolutionary idea! Fantastic! Thanks so much!

Dave, that is the only reason I use the thumbnail view, to find a missing control. The 4000px placement also happens when you do something reckless like cut-n-paste.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Dave,

If there is no iframe as in your case, you do need to reattach the FEX in the Hyperlink Properties dialog as you have found. That causes a reparse of it to find new parameters.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Master
posted Hide Post
David,

I know, as I already mentioned...
quote:
Only opening the hyperlink properties and changing the settings work ( just clicking the "same, parent, new window"-dropdown ( even without actually changing something ) will "refresh" the parameters.

Guru
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by susannah:
the defaulted 2 parms are the ONLY ones i want to appear in the launch page
When i want to rebuild, i comment out the -INCLUDE
so the launch page never knows it exists.
then add a new parm
[QUOTE]

Where were you the other day? I had a program that I wanted to create a new HTML with and all I wanted was 2 out of the 50+ parameters created. The program had several -INCLUDES and everytime I re-linked the report, the calendar control got "bunky" on me and would not display the calendar icon and gave me an error. I ended up working it another way, but I don't see why this way wouldn't have worked.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Master
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity... ...it might kill me.

Why do you have a fex with 50+ parameters and only 2 are real user entered parameters?

What are those other 48?

I use plenty of (internal) parameters that do not need user input. But I either use -SET &REPORT_TITLE = ''; or -DEFAULTH &COMPANY_ID = 0; to prevent it from prompting.

Confused

Guru
posted Hide Post
We use a lot of common modules for common routines. We have a list of &VAR's that are being passed across the portal to allow you to drill on hierarchy level, return to or do what ever you need to do to get from report to report.

I was asked to take an existing report out of our main portal and make a new portal with it only. This repport like all other reports calls common routines that go out and get dates, store levels, report layout, etc basically a whole bunch of stuff.

I ended up stripping a lot of uncessary items from it and included some of the common items into the report.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
When they introduced HTML Composer, I feel a bad decision was made - suddenly the -DEFAULT parameters took on a new meaning. The decision should have been that the -DEFAULTH parameters are the ones that get attached to controls. I never remember to use -DEFAULTH for parameters that should be ignored by HTML Composer.

Meanwhile, it's all very nice to remind us how to refresh parameters, but how on earth do you prevent the resetting of certain control attributes? The simple procedure that I needed to perform and that prompted my comments also removed the static values I had set up for &WFFMT...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Copy/Paste was mentioned here.

I just tried copy/paste of a listbox populated by a dynamic external procedure. The pasted control was placed in position 4000,4000 and is populated by static values. As far as I can tell, you cannot use copy/paste reliably in HTML Composer.

Francis