Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Choosing Output Formats

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Choosing Output Formats
 Login/Join

posted
I am not sure if this is a matter of personal preference, but which hold file output type would be the best in the following situation?
I am joining Table 1 with Table 2 on Course_id. Then the final output file to the customer will be an xml file. Although I know I could just Table File Table2, get the fields I want and use a BY HIGHEST 1 ACADEMIC_PERIOD, I am just using this as an example for learning/demonstration purposes. I am trying to decide if I should hold Table 1 as ALPHA, FOCUS, or something else so I can join it to Table 2.

Fields
Table 1
Course_Id A255V <-- Unique Values

Table 2
Course_Id A255V
Academic_Period A63V
Subject_Desc A255V
Course_Title A255V
Course_Desc TX50
Course_Credit D20.2

Example Data Table
Table 1
|===========|
|Course_Id |
|===========|
|ENGL200 001|
|CSCI101A101|
|WRIT101 001|
|ENGL201 001|
|===========|
Table 1 contains a master list of course_id, all unique, max 1000 records.

Table 2
|===============================================================================|
|Course_Id |Subject_Desc|Course_Title|Course_Desc|Course_Credit|Academic_Period|
|===============================================================================|
|ENGL200 001|English |American Lit|Long Text |3.0 |201110 |
|CSCI101A101|Comp Sci |MS Word Lab |Long Text |0.5 |201110 |
|WRIT101 001|Writing |Writing 1 |Long Text |3.0 |201180 |
|ENGL201 001|English |Euro Lit |Long Text |3.0 |201180 |
|ENGL201 001|English |Euro Lit |Long Text |4.0 |201210 |
Table 2 contains 10000+ records with duplicate course_id but different academic semesters, course_desc, course_title, and about 50 other fields.

Edit: Forum messed up formatting, not surprised in the least bit, but I tried to fix it the best I could.

Developer Studio 7.7.02
Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
all output

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I assume both Table1 and Table2 are not database files where you can just join them. But I assume they are just flat sequential files on the disk. In this case the best thing to do is a MATCH.
MATCH FILE TABLE1
SUM COURSE_ID NOPRINT BY COURSE_ID
RUN
FILE TABLE2
PRINT ACEDEMIC_PERIOD ...etc
BY COURSE_ID
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT XML AS MYFILE
WHERE ... if needed...;
END

Release 7.6.9
Windows
HTML

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. You are correct they are not database files. MATCH never crossed my mind, thank you for the idea! To add on to your point of not being database files, I could easily do it with a SQL statement, but our sql pass-through access was and is turnned off.

Developer Studio 7.7.02
Windows XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
all output