Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Debugging Errors

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Debugging Errors
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Webfocus 7.6
Server OS: Windows Server 2003

I have a maintain that I am converting from using a Webfocus Database to using MSSQL Database with an adapter. I have had little problem up to this point but I am receiving an error that I cannot isolate.

Deployment Status: Failed
Error: Could not compile 'IBFS:/pc551823/EDA/EDASERVE/APPPATH/r_mhfacility/MhFacility.mnt'.
Details: (FOC03601) ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 1969 IN PROCEDURE
(FOC03727) Datatypes not supported for computational/comparison operation.
(FOC03773) COMPILE failed with return code -3727

As the error is on a line number that does not exist in my maintain I suppose it is in the forms. (When I remove add or remove items from my forms the line number changes.) How do you normally isolate the source of these errors and find them?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dendem,

Master
posted Hide Post
The only other time I saw this error was when trying to add an integer to a date field. With a little luck the error is in the event code on one of your forms.

See if you can edit the Winforms file and look at that line number. That may show you the event / form that has the invalid code. Then you can open that form and find the issue.

I would bet that the problem is with a Date field. If you cannot locate the specific line in the Winforms file, open the events for each form and see where you are doing calculations.

If there is nothing like that in your events, it could have to do with assigning an alpha to get an index value. You can send me the MNT file (and if possible the MAS) files and I will look.

Mark_Derwin@ibi.com.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark, are you certain its the wfm. The error states the mnt file.

If the maintain app is over 1969 lines, very unlikely, then look there, otherwise do what mark has suggested.

Was the deployment to a WF server or a run local ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Waz
Since Maintain doesn't do any -INCLUDEs, when the error number is past the number of lines in the Maintain the error is in the Winforms file. It usually is Maintain code that is included in an event. That is the easiest to debug. Sometimes it is in the JavaScript code that is appended to the end of the file with it is Imported during the Deployment process.

The hardest problems to debug are when the error is with an object itself. This could mean that a field associated with an object has been changed (added, edited, deleted) or the stack has been changed, etc...

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark, I absolutley agree, when I have had these issues, its is usually in the wfm file, the difficulty can be getting to the right line, I haven't used Maintain for quite a while, but the line reported isn't necessarily the line in the file.

As you said, Dendem needs to post the code, throwing a eye over it may cettainly help.

Dendem, are you aware that a wfm file is in fact a maintain file you can open it up and read it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Waz,

I'm surprised to hear you talk about the .wfm file.

I have debugged errors with large line numbers by opening the .mnt file in an external editor and looking at the XML Form description code that Dev. Studio hides. Most times I can find the line number there, and (usually) identify the problem.

If the failing line number is larger then the full .mnt, I had assumed it was referencing the core maintain executable (?)

With a backup, a little experience, and HTML forms knowledge, there is a lot that can be done in the 'hidden' .mnt code !

Regards,
Dave

http://www.daveayers.com

WebFocus/Maintain 7.6.4-8
on Win2000 and 2003 Server

Posts: 165 | Location: Detroit Metro | Registered: September 17, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dave, you are so right, IBI have hidden away the core maintain code, files like webbase and webbase2. These were available in earlier versions like 4.x and 5.x.

But from my experiences, the errors like this in most cases is a miss match or even a missing semicolon or problems with quotes.

I am surprised you can find the error by line number in the XML definition of the form as the error is at compile time on the maintain code, you will have the .mnt and .wfm files.

Mark, as for -INCLUDES, that true, its just that most of the maintain apps i've written, the number of lines is usually only in the hundreds. I did have one app with a mnt file with over 4000 lines, you may even have a copy of it at IBI.

I would still suggest Dendem to send a copy of the code for someone to check, experience helps in this matter.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's my experience that the error mechanism of the maintain parser is usually quite correct in specifying the line number. If the line number is in the range of the .mnt file, then it most likely is right there where the message says that it is.
If it is not in the .mnt then I can always find it in the .wfm at or near the line indicated. And sometimes I have to go back to the 'hidden' part of the maintain to try and find the error situation indicated in the .wfm file. Using this approach I always find what's wrong.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post