Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Sending Webfocus Report to Printer

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Sending Webfocus Report to Printer
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All,

Is it possible to send a PDF report directly to a online printer.

I searched in the forums, there are no related posts about sending PDF reports to the printer.

I am currently using WF 7.7.03.

Is Report Caster the only option to do this? If not can we call a Report Caster schedule from a Webfocus fex or even JAVA application.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Santu

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Web FOCUS 7.7.03
PDF

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Santosh,

As per my understanding, you have to use the report caster APIs to call the printer from JSP. The report caster API documentattion
is available in the tech support site.

The Print agent name is : DSTSchedFactory.METHOD_PRINT. You need to pass the Printer IP to this method somehow.

Also note that the o/p format for the Printer fex should be 'PS'. means, you need to hold the data in PS format.

Webfocus 7.1.6, Webfocus 7.7, Webfocus 8

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Santu,

The printer needs to be set up on each box (DEV,ACC,PRD). Example, our development box is (modapp150d) and you need to add the printer to this. Then create a procedure which will save your pdf report to a specific location path. Once its save then use -WINNT command to call a .bat file which you will use PRINT command to send your report a specific printer.
Batch file would look like this:

@ECHO OFF
@ECHO. 
PRINT /D:%1 "%2"
EXIT /b 0

The -WINNT would look something like this (
-WINNT D:\ibi77\wmgtmp\WMBatchPrint.bat &PRINTER &PATH 
).

Your &PRINTER would like this (\\modprt011\GTC113LJ01)(\\server_name\printer_name) and your &PATH would look like this (
 D:\ibi77\wmgtmp\IBI_wmg0001-batch_printing\report_pdf.ps 
).

In our case we had to sent the job over as postscript.

I summed this up but if you need additional information please let me know. This should get your started.

Thanks,
prodrigu

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats

Posts: 121 | Location: California | Registered: June 19, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You try this as it works for us:-
FILEDEF NSCAPR04 DISK C:\TEMP\NSCAPR04.PDF
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS NSCAPR04 FORMAT PDF
END
-RUN
-------------------------------------
-* WebFOCUS printing (.PDF file only)
-*-----------------------------------
COPY C:\TEMP\NSCAPR04.PDF &&PRNTR..
-RUN

where &&PRNTR is a 'share' set up on the printer you need to print on

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Do you have logging set up to capture if the report fails or is successful when printing to a printer? I am using this technique but time to time the report fails to print to a specify printer and I don't know if its WebFOCUS messing up or its the network.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
prodrigu

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats

Posts: 121 | Location: California | Registered: June 19, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
No we don't have logging but I am sure you can turn it on to see whether it's a network issue or not. Speak with your printer people.
Suggest you use SET EMPTYREPORT=ON so that if there is no data cominh from WebFOCUS, at least a blank report (ie. headings only) will be printed.

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post