Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Wildcard Checking

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Wildcard Checking
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Nice Water Towers too...

Does anyone have anything that checks the input values of a Text Box which ensures that the user has not selects an "ALL" condition? This needs to cover all possibilities, including all possible combinations of wildcard characters which equate to and "ALL" condition. For simplicity, consider a text box with a limitation of 4 characters feeding the variable: &TextInput1. With that in mind, the value of &TextInput1 may be: "ALL", "$", "$$", "$$$", or "$$$$", as well as combined use of other wildcard characters.

Preferred: WebFOCUS Code, Accepatable: JavaScript.

Thanks in advance...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How about something like this:

-SET &ALL_CHECK = IF UPCASE(&TextInput1.LENGTH,&TextInput1,'A.&TextInput1.LENGTH.EVAL') CONTAINS '$' OR '*' OR 'ALL' THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Satchell,

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Close... But, what I'm looking for is to capture all possibilities of all wildcards within the associated field. The only other suggestion was : "I would do it in JavaScript"... But that person doesn't have the JS to do it... JS is acceptable. I can call it as an onClick Event...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are so specific about your "wildcards", why can't you come up with the solution?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I just don't want to "reinvent the wheel"... That's all... We do have to account for the percent sign, underscore, currency symbol, asterisk, escape sequence, to name a few / most of them. Not to mention that any number of percent signs, for instance, equate to a single percent sign, at least in Teradata SQL. Now, considering that there are many possibilities / combinations of these plus valid alphanumeric characters. With that in mind, I hope you can see why I don't want to reinvent this wheel ~ If, in fact, someone else has already done so.

So, any more suggestions from anyone? If not, I'll invent this wheel for further proliferation in the future.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm going to bite and ask. Why are you using a text box? Why not a drop down with a drill down, i.e., give them the alphabet, click on a letter, then give another layer of grouping so your list is not so big and keep drilling down until the list is an appropriate size to show in your html. Just a thought. Text boxes are sooooo dangerous. FCSD has a text box search and then you click on search icon for the dealer name.

Kathy Phillips
Web FOCUS 8.2.05.14, 8.1.05, 8.08, 8.0.7, 8.0.5,8.0.2m, 7.6.10,7.7.03
Windows

Posts: 118 | Location: Livonia, MI | Registered: March 27, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Another FOCUS code alternative: use the CHKFMT function.

-SET &RESULT = 0 ;
-SET &CHARCNT = &TextInput1.LENGTH ;
-REPEAT ENDREPEAT1 FOR &I FROM 1 TO &CHARCNT
-SET &CHAR = SUBSTR(&CHARCNT,&TextInput1,&I,&I,1,'A1');
-SET &RESULT = IF &CHAR EQ ' ' THEN &RESULT ELSE (&RESULT + CHKFMT(1,&CHAR,'X','I1'));
-ENDREPEAT1
-SET &FMT_CHECK = IF UPCASE(&CHARCNT,&TextInput1,'A&CHARCNT.EVAL') OMITS 'ALL'
-                 AND &RESULT EQ 0 THEN 'PASS' ELSE 'FAIL';

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
<html>
<head>
<script>
function checkIt()
{
var x = true;
var testValue = document.form1.textbox1;
	if (testValue.value.indexOf("*") >= 0)
	{
		x = false;
		alert("Quit being a character and stop using the '*' character.");
		testValue.value = ""; 
	}
return x;
}

</script>
</head>
<body>
<form name="form1" onSubmit="return checkIt();">
<input type="text" name="textbox1" value="*" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Press Me" />
</form>
</body>
</html>

7.6.6 Mainframe
7.6.4 Web Focus
Windows

Posts: 45 | Location: Gaffney SC | Registered: March 30, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
I'll work towards my goal with both of these...

Lucas: Are you down there near that Big Peach (Water Tower) near the Interstae?

Thanks,
Doug

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Yes Doug I am, in fact I work just a couple of miles from it. Sad IMO that the only thing this little town is known for is a water tower... Roll Eyes

7.6.6 Mainframe
7.6.4 Web Focus
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lucas:
Yes Doug I am, in fact I work just a couple of miles from it. Sad IMO that the only thing this little town is known for is a water tower... Roll Eyes

and fireworks...

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
lol, I guess we are also famous for serial killers to..........

google Gaffney strangler......

7.6.6 Mainframe
7.6.4 Web Focus
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sad IMO that the only thing this little town is known for is a water tower.

LOL. I grew up in Collinsville IL and we have a water tower shaped like a catsup bottle!

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post