Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to reduce APP PATH options

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to reduce APP PATH options
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

In our EDASPROF file we have an APP PATH command
APP PATH aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff

Is there a way to issue a subsequent APP PATH command that allows fewer application folders?

I've tried issuing a command like
APP PATH bbb ddd fff

in a FEX - didn't work
in a User Profile - didn't work
in the Domain in which the FEX was executed - didn't work

Can you only prepend and append to the PATH as it is declared in the EDASPROF? Is there no way to expunge from the original PATH? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That is what we do here.

The path is set in a FEX, adn has always worked.

A new APP PATH commadn should override the existing one.

I assume there were n o errors or the like ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan,

What did you use to check the app path?
I have tried your 'problem' with the following code:
? PATH
APP PATH BASEAPP SESSION IBISAMP
-RUN
? PATH
and it comes back with
BASEAPP  =  C:\ibi\apps\baseapp;
APPPATH  =  C:\ibi\apps\session;
C:\ibi\apps\session;
C:\ibi\apps\ibisamp;
C:\ibi\apps\baseapp;
C:\ibi\srv77\wfs\edatemp\foccache\ip000768010;
C:\ibi\apps\baseapp;
C:\ibi\apps\sap_bw;
BASEAPP  =  C:\ibi\apps\baseapp;
APPPATH  =  C:\ibi\apps\baseapp;
showing only those apps that I mentioned in my app path command. And I do not seem to remember it having been any other way ever. So, how did you check the current app path setting?

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
there is something like prepand path as I might remember well
and there are some more commands according to the temporary path settings

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
When I run this:
-TYPE Default App Path
? PATH
-RUN
APP PATH MASTERS PRODACX ADDRUPD
-RUN
-TYPE New App Path
? PATH
-EXIT

I get:
Default App Path
 BASEAPP  =  /opt/ibi/apps/baseapp:
 APPHOLD  =  /opt/ibi/713/ibi/srv71/wfs/edatemp/ts000285:
 APPPATH  =  /opt/ibi/apps/johngelona:
 /opt/ibi/apps/litigation:
 /opt/ibi/apps/baseapp:
 /opt/ibi/apps/yi619s:
 /opt/ibi/apps/outcomes:
 /opt/ibi/apps/resource:
 /opt/ibi/apps/gnr:
 /opt/ibi/apps/case_rvw_current:
 /opt/ibi/apps/masters:
 /opt/ibi/apps/prodacx:
.  Lot more folders 

New App Path
 BASEAPP  =  /opt/ibi/apps/baseapp:
 APPHOLD  =  /opt/ibi/713/ibi/srv71/wfs/edatemp/ts000285:
 APPPATH  =  /opt/ibi/apps/masters:
 /opt/ibi/apps/prodacx:
 /opt/ibi/apps/addrupd:

I get the same thing in 7.1.3 or 7.6.11.

In my experience, BASEAPP is always part of the APP PATH. If it is not specifically listed, it seems to be the last folder in the app path. The search order seems to be APPHOLD, APP PATH folders in the order listed then BASEAPP. I have not come across (or searched for) documentation that supports this, but this is how it seems to work.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Looks like I needed the -RUN command. I also like the ? PATH method. It gives more detail than APP SHOWPATH.

Cheers!

Dan

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Is there a way to exclude baseapp from the PATH when we reissue the APP PATH command. In other words when I run APP PATH MYAPP i would like to get my syonyms only from MYAPP folder.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vaayu,

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
From my understanding, BASEAPP will always be there, perhaps its IBI's way to have an APP directory always available, even if there are none.

My suggestion is as a generic rule to not use BASEAPP at all, leave it empty. Partition all your code, masters, etc into there own aPP directories.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Your other option is to create a user profile and then add APP PREPENDPATH MYAPP to it or add it in the program.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05M, gen 144, Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, Tomcat 6.0.33, IIS 7.0, SQL Server, Excel 2013, PDF, HTML, FOCUS files.

Posts: 88 | Location: Seattle | Registered: March 29, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I thought the user profile would only limit them on the self service side but, not on the MRE. My challenge is to limit the MRE users with certain APP Folders when
1. They use Report Assistant to browse Masters
2. They use editor to TABLE FILE.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think the best option is setting APP PATH according to the user/group or users, and using DBA settings in the masters

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
If you're passing the user ID from MRE to WF then it will execute a user profile (if one exists).

WebFOCUS 7.7.05M, gen 144, Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit, Tomcat 6.0.33, IIS 7.0, SQL Server, Excel 2013, PDF, HTML, FOCUS files.

Posts: 88 | Location: Seattle | Registered: March 29, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
vaayu,

Here is what we came up with...
The basic premise on how our system is set up is that we limit access to masters based on the Application Directory they are in.

We use group-level profiles that are executed when a user logs on. In the profile we do four things
1) We build an APP PATH statement with three variables
a) &&PSRPATH - this contains application directories the user group needs based on the way they subscribe to our data
b) &&MYPATH - this contains the name of an application directory that is specific to the user group/domain name
c) &&FILTERPATH - this contains the names of application directories that have masters we want the users to have 'indirect' access to. By that I mean these datasources are accessed from HTML pages that act as the UI for some of our applications. We do not want users writing their own reports against these masters though.
2) We INCLUDE a 'filter' fex. This file declares filters against any masters a user may encounter whether it is through one of our applications or through one of the web tools (ReportAssist, GraphAssist, InfoAssist, etc.) If we don't include the application directory in the APP PATH statement we aren't able to declare a filter on the masters in that directory.
3) We set the value of &&IBI_IF_APPS by setting it to the physical path to an 'apps' fex. This file works similarly to the APP PATH statement but it has different syntax. We do this because the list of masters available in the web tools is not determined by APP PATH, it is determined by the value of &&IBI_IF_APPS. Here we build the list of application directories the user can access based on &&PSRPATH and &&MYPATH. &&IBI_IF_APPS is also used in the data upload utility. Therefore it is important that we disable write access to all the application directories except the one specified in &&MYPATH so the user doesn't save a file to a commonly used application directory.
4) We set the value of &&IBI_IF_FLDS by setting it to the physical path to a 'fields' fex. This file determines what fields within each master a user has access to. Most of the time we don't limit fields but when we need to this is where we do it.

To summarize, we use APP PATH because it is required in order for us to declare filters. We use &&IBI_IF_APPS because it is required to control master file access in the web tools.

Regards,

Dan

Guru
posted Hide Post
Dan,
This helps me significantly..

Thanks so much for your assistance. I Love this forum just as always.

-Pawan