Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Hyperlink
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello. I'm requesting this again.

I have a code in Dev Studio with a defined paragraph field. I simply want to add a hyperlink in the paragraph. How can this be done? I have succeeded in creating a standalone hyperlink in a completely blank procedure but no luck within the defined paragraph.

Thanks, P

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phoenixfox,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you post an example of your code so far ?

You should be able to, but it will involve manipulating the field.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Paragraph field you mean TEXT data type?

Thanks,
Ram

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The code is pretty lengthy. Here is one defined paragraph.
-**********CODE BEGINS**********************
PARAGRAPH5/A1000 = IF F8 EQ 'RE_2YR' THEN 'Your residency for tuition purposes is ' | RES_STAT || '. If you feel this is incorrect, you must fill out a residency application and submit it to the Residency Determination Office.'
ELSE
IF F8 EQ 'RE_DYDPT' THEN 'Do not enroll at UNC-Charlotte for 24 consecutive months. At that time you would be eligible for readmission using the Two Year Rule.'
ELSE
IF F8 EQ 'RE_DEGREE' THEN 'Your residency for tuition purposes is ' | RES_STAT || '. If you feel this incorrect, you must fill out a residency application and submit it to the Residency Determination Office.'
ELSE
IF F8 EQ 'RE_SD' THEN '';
-*****CODE ENDS****************************

When the Excel output is generated, I would like "Residency Determination Office" to be a hyperlink.

Thank you, P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It does work as a link in html if you just add an anchor tag:

<a href="http://www.cnn.com" target="_blank">Residency Determination Office</a>

- but it doens't become a real link in XLSX.

This isn't exactly what you want - but - it'd be easy to add another define column - and turn the whole colum into the link.

DALINK/A100='Residency Determination Office';

TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=N5,
URL=http://www.cnn.com,
$

Could then tweak message to say "submit it to the Residency Determination Office (link next column)"

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Posts: 120 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 26, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Phoenix,

I know two years in an education establishment can be a long time but you posted the exact same question (with the same code snippet!) in June 2012 (link). I recognised the text for the link!

Did one of those solutions not suit?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right Tony. I couldn't figure it out with the solutions provided and so I tabled it until now. Responders say what I can do but now how to do it. SO I will try stur0063's suggestion and see if I can get it to work this time. Thank you.

P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
What is the syntax for linking the column? I have the new defined column working fine.

P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
When you say "linking the column" do you mean this? Also when you said you like the hyperlink for "Residency Determination Office". You could use a conditional hyperlink on the column using WHEN statement. Hope it helps.

TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=PARAGRAPH5,
URL=http://www.cnn.com,
WHEN=N5 EQ  'Residency Determination Office',

hth..

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
-****Define*****
HYPERLINK/A100= 'Residency Determination Office';

-***Paragraph5****************
PARAGRAPH5/A1000 = IF F8 EQ 'RE_DEGREE' THEN 'Your residency for tuition purposes is ' | RES_STAT || '. If you feel this incorrect, you must fill out a residency application and submit it to the Residency Determination Office.'
ELSE
IF F8 EQ 'RE_SD' THEN '';

-****Style*******************
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *

TYPE=DATA
COLUMN=HYPERLINK
URL=http://www.resdetermination.uncc.edu,
WHEN PARAGRAPH5='Residency Determination Office',
$

Am I close?

P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you determined that the entire cell for PARAGRAPH5 is not to be the link and to have a separate cell for containing the link?

If so then I would suggest something like this -
DEFINE FILE yourfile
HYPERLINK/A30 MISSING ON = IF F8 IN ('RE_2YR','RE_DEGREE') THEN 'Residency Determination Office' ELSE MISSING;
PARAGRAPH5/A1000 = IF F8 EQ 'RE_2YR'    THEN 'Your residency for tuition purposes is ' | RES_STAT || '. If you feel this is incorrect, you must fill out a residency application and submit it to the Residency Determination Office.'
              ELSE IF F8 EQ 'RE_DYDPT'  THEN 'Do not enroll at UNC-Charlotte for 24 consecutive months. At that time you would be eligible for readmission using the Two Year Rule.'
              ELSE IF F8 EQ 'RE_DEGREE' THEN 'Your residency for tuition purposes is ' | RES_STAT || '. If you feel this incorrect, you must fill out a residency application and submit it to the Residency Determination Office.'
              ELSE IF F8 EQ 'RE_SD'     THEN '';
END

TABLE FILE yourfile
[verb] PARAGRAPH5 AS ''
       HYPERLINK AS 'Links'
   BY field etc.
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE * 
  TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=HYPERLINK, URL=http://www.resdetermination.uncc.edu, 
       WHEN=HYPERLINK EQ 'Residency Determination Office', $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Well, the above by Tony gives me output. However, no hyperlink. I'm not opposed to trying the other method (entire paragraph link) I wasn't sure about the syntax.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I also found out that even if I get the hyperlink in a separate defined column, when I mail merge it to a Word doc, the hyperlink is deactivated.

P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hello. Can anyone shed any light on why the hyperlink is not active when merging the Excel file into a Word document? I'm doing a mail merge and inserting the merged fields.

Thanks, P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of merging Excel files into Word documents, I assume you're using some kind of external (to WF) product for that? It's quite possible that that product strips out your URL; you'll have to ask the vendor about that.

Is that URL a fully specified URL? E.g. http://your.company.com/etc/yo...t.somethingsomething instead of just /etc/your_link_target.somethingsomething?

If not and if your link target is a WebFOCUS procedure, did you SET FOCEXURL = 'http://your.company.com/' in your procedure?

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Wep5622, I didn't SET FOCEXURL = ''

I'll play around with it and see if I can somehow keep the hyperlink when merging the Excel in the Word document.

Thanks, P

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs