Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Using Rank result in a Define or Compute formula

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Using Rank result in a Define or Compute formula
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Is there a way to use the result of a Rank column inside the formula of either a Define or a Compute?

As an example, I have ranked 75 lines of data based off of 'CALCGROSS' column. I want to create another column that multiplies the rank value by 2 for Canada and 3 for USA.

As a define the 'logic' is as follows:
 IF BRANCH_COUNTRY EQ 'US' THEN 3 * CALCGROSS Rank ELSE 2 * CALCGROSS Rank 

Obviously this is not a real formula, just using it as a jump off point to get to the right one...

Thanks in advance.

InfoAssist only - Version: 7703
Windows 7
Excel and PDF outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I get my rank and hold it, then query the hold file and perform my compute on the ranking.

TABLE FILE HPCTACV
SUM RNK.RS2S_PCT_60 AS 'RS2S_RANK'
BY HIGHEST RS2S_PCT_60
BY DSR
ON TABLE HOLD AS HRS2SRNK
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE HRS2SRNK
SUM RS2S_PCT_60
    RS2S_RANK
  COMPUTE RS2S_WS/P5.3 = RS2S_RANK * &S2SKPI;
BY DSR
END

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks linus...
But I only use Info Assist. I sometimes 'Edit Source' from the tree but I don't have access to Dev Studio.
Is there any way I can translate this into Info Assist code or a compute formula? I've spent the morning trying to convert yours and using the documentation but it's different enough it crashes my report.

** Extra Info ** Here's the full concept:
There are 5 columns to be ranked by highest values - VOL, GP, MARGIN, FT and AGE.
Those 5 ranks are then weighted - multiplying by 2, 3, 0, 0 and 5, respectively.
The weighted score for each of those columns is then added together to create the FINALSCORE - which is the final, ultimate rank for the entire report.

So, what I'm really looking for is a way in Info Assist to use the rank results in a compute formula. I tried ranking the VOL column, then using RNK.VOL * 2 but it doesn't seem to work.

Windows 7
Excel and PDF outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can create a hold file until version 8 of InfoAssist.

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
True,

What if you included the logic (CALCGROSS*3 IF USA ELSE CALCGROSS*2) in a define, and then rank the new column? Just an idea.

Luiz

Posts: 117 | Location: Denver | Registered: July 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I've discovered you can use the rank result in a Compute formula:

1. Create the rank column based off the field of choice. Ie. CALCGROSS - go to Sort - Rank
2. In the compute use the "RNK" prefix with the original field name. Ie. "RNK.CALCGROSS"
3. Hide the CALCGROSS column in the BY section - it's just a repeat of the original CALCGROSS column. Then only the new rank column shows.

My problem now... is that only one rank is working in my report - the first one in the BY section. I have ranked 5 columns, the first one ranks each line 1 through 75, the next 4 columns all have 1 as the rank for every line.

SO...
Does anyone know of a way to make multiple ranks work or how to manually create a rank column - via a Define or Compute?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TRue,

Windows 7
Excel and PDF outputs