Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Dev Studio v8.0.0.8 installation nightmares

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Dev Studio v8.0.0.8 installation nightmares
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Anyone else having problems installing and running Dev Studio v8.0.08?

My first attempt caused the previously installed Dev Studio v7.7.05 to stop working, after running thisfoci.bat, so I uninstalled v8.

My second attempt has failed as well. Now Derby did not get installed and some Tomcat settings file has a bunch of Chinese characters in it, making it fail.

Any tips out there?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I have a different setup than you. I have 7.6.11 and 8.0.7. The only way that I could get it to work was to install 8.0.7 first. Took me a lot of trial and error to get them both working.

Here is the basic steps I used.
1. Uninstalled both DevStudio 7.6.11 and DevStudio 8.0.07
2. Installed Dev Studio 8.0.07
3. Installed Dev Studio 7.6.11
4. Uninstalled Tomcat that came with WebFocus
5. Manually installed Tomcat 7.0.53. Used 8080 for WebFocus 8.0.7 and 9080 for WebFocus 7.6.11
6. Run thisfoci.bat for DevStudio 8.0.07
7. Start DevStudio 8.0.07 and configure your Webfocus environments
8. Make a copy of the wfscom.xml and name it wfscom80.xml
9. Delete wfscom.xml
10.Run thisfoci.bat for Dev Studio 7.6.11
11.Start DevStudio 7.6.11 and configure your Webfocus environments
12.Make a copy of the wfscom.xml and name it wfscom76.xml
13.Copy thisfoci.bat from both versions to C:\ibi\thisfoci_76.bat and C:\ibi\thisfoci_80.bat
14.In both thisfoc_76.bat and thisfoci_80.bat change %BATDIR% to appropriate folder C:\ibi\DevStudio76\bin and C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin
15. Add the following to bottom of appropriate file. See post http://forums.informationbuild...447055436#8447055436
cd "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Information Builders"
copy wfscom80.xml wfscom.xml
cd C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin
start C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\focshell.exe

cd "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Information Builders"
copy wfscom76.xml wfscom.xml
cd C:\ibi\DevStudio76\bin
start C:\ibi\DevStudio76\bin\focshell.exe
16. Add a shortcut on your desktop to thisfoci_76.bat and thisfoci_80.bat. Rename and add your own icon to the shortcuts.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mighty Max, thanks for that list of steps - sounds like a well organized nightmare.

Do you have that written on your shirt sleeve for constant consultation?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried running thisfoci.bat as administrator?

unix aix 53
all formats

Guru
posted Hide Post
thisfoci.bat needs to be run when you have two different dev studio installations on the same box everytime you need to switch between them. I created two batch files (1 for v8 and v7) that run thisfoci.bat and then opens up dev studio (you will need to run them as admin). Here is the code:
v7
call C:\ibi\DevStudio77\bin\thisfoci.bat
start C:\ibi\DevStudio77\bin\focshell.exe

v8
call C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\thisfoci.bat
start C:\ibi\DevStudio80\bin\focshell.exe
I also removed the ping commands in the v8 thisfoci.bat so it didn't take so long to run.

Now I just run those batch files instead of the focshell directly. I have created shortcuts like Max mentioned, but that should get you started.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
thisfoci.bat needs to be run when you have two different dev studio installations on the same box everytime you need to switch between them.

Oh, I know that. I cannot get this manoeuvre to work with DevStudio 7.7.05 and DevStudio 8.0.08. The first time I ran thisfoci.bat for 7.7.05, 7.7.05 failed to start. Then I ran thisfoci.bat for 8.0.08, and 8.0.08 started OK. The second time I ran thisfoci.bat for 7.7.05, 7.7.05 started no problem, but I cannot get 8.0.08 to work.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, while I can get DevStudio v7.7.05 up, the local reporting server and/or Tomcat server are messed up by the DevStudio v8.0.08 installation.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you have multiple Tomcat services installed (each with context files for a different issue of dev studio, and all listening on the default port 8080, make sure the right one is running before you start up dev studio and its wf server.

I am using Dev Studio 7.6.x (which installed Tomcat 5.x), DS 7.7.x (TC 6.0) and DS 8.0.x (TC 7.0), so I wrote a bat file for each, to stop the other two services (just in case) and start the required one:

:* "start tomcat for wf 7.6.bat"
sc stop Tomcat6WF
sc stop Tomcat7WF
sc start Tomcat5
pause
exit

Must be run as Admin.

I also find the thisfoci.bat may not work, even when run as Admin; IBI advised to open a dos window (as Admin), and paste the commands. I do it in two steps

cd (to the folder containing the bat)
cmd /c thisfoci.bat

HTH.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, thanks for the tips. I'll try Mighty Max's and your ideas soon.

Meanwhile, following a colleague's suggestion, I installed AppStudio 8.0.08, then DevStudio 8.0.08. Both found my Tomcat 6 installation so didn't provide the option for Tomcat 7.

So I now have Tomcat 6 with DevStudio 7.7.05, AppStudio 8.0.08 and DevStudio 8.0.08.

The latest situation is that DevStudio 7.7.05 starts OK, I can access the configured environments except localhost. DevStudio 8.0.08 crashes. I don't care about AppStudio 8.0.08.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis

Refer to "WebFOCUS Application Studio Installation and Configuration Guide"

http://documentation.informati...tudio/as_install.pdf

On Page 70

This allows Application Studio and Developer Studio to have specific context roots for their own web application independently. In this scenario, Apache Tomcat will load both web applications, and more memory will be used as a result. If memory is a concern, you can copy in only the context root XML files for the product that you want to run and save the other context root XML files in a directory outside the Apache Tomcat directory.

Application Studio and Developer Studio use a technology that requires several of their product
DLL files to be registered in the operating system. However, the operating system only allows
one set of DLL files to be registered at a time. To switch between Application Studio and
Developer Studio, you must register these files. You can use one of the following methods to
register these DLL files:
1. Run the utility called thisfoci.bat, which is available in the \bin folder of the product you
are using.
Note: If you are running Windows 7 with User Account Control enabled, you must run
this file using the Run as Administrator option.
2. Set a command line switch (-r) for the main executable file (Focshell.exe). This command
line switch is available in Developer Studio (Release 8.0) and in Application Studio. Open
the Properties dialog box by right-clicking the shortcut to the Focshell.exe executable file.
In the Target field, add a space, and then type -r.

1 - Just make sure your SHORTCUT has -r at then end of the Target.

2 - Goto Compatibility and check "Run this program as an administrator".

Note you may want to replace the "/s" with a blank in the Thisfoci.bat (copy of the file) so that you see the error messages when registering the DLL's and OCX files.

If you have problems like this please open a case with Technical Support.

I hope that this update helps you resolve the issue.

Thanks Barry Solomon

WebFOCUS 8103, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 80 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 13, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think one of the problems is that the same Tomcat is used by both DevStudio 7.0.05 and DevStudio 8.0.08, so my localhost is messed up - despite the fact that I used a different port number and appended 8 to the ibi_apps alias...

I'll open a case, but I just don't know why we have to go through hoops to get this stuff to work.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
I can successfully switch between DevStudio 7.7.05 and DevStudio 8.0.08 when running thisfoci.bat as administrator.

I would like to know how to switch the war file, or can I simply add a new alias for ibi_html? The DevStudio 8 installation allowed me to change the default names for ibi_apps and ibi_help, so I changed them to ibi_apps8 and ibi_help8, but I wasn't able to change ibi_html. Can I add ibi_html8?

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
BTW, a lot of the information we have been sharing can be found here for future reference (Installing Developer Studio).

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post