Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Converting Columns into Rows and Rows into Columns

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Converting Columns into Rows and Rows into Columns
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a table with 20 columns in a table. I want some of the columns to become rows. I have tried several things, but I am not able to figure it out. I want to get columns data into rows as follows:
[Code/]
Sorted By Week
Cloumn1 data
column2 data
column3 data

[Code\]

column2 data
----------------
Total

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This has been asked many times before on the forum. To be able to pivot your data the way you want, you will probably need a couple of approaches:

1. To make your data columns become rows (or so to speak), please do a search on the McGyver technique for illustrations. Alternatively, search also for MacGyver since not all members have agreed on a common name Wink If the requirement is not too complex, you may also want to try using OVER.

2. To make your rows become columns, you will need to create "data buckets" (usually as virtual fields in a DEFINE section) and then use a TABLE FILE .. SUM to display only the data buckets you defined.

I'm confident you'll find plenty of examples in this forum about both techniques to get you going.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Master
posted Hide Post
As mentioned by Neftali, there are lot of posts on this topic. One way to do is by using OVER. This may help
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
DEALER_COST AS 'Dealer Cost'
OVER
RETAIL_COST AS 'Retail Cost'
OVER 
SALES AS 'Sales'
OVER
CNT.CAR AS 'No of Cars'
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON COUNTRY SUBHEAD
"</1 Country: <COUNTRY"
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
END

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Use of ACROSS with HOLD can also convert rows into columns.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You could also use a custom master file with OCCURS. This has been mentioned in the forum before.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And read this tip: [TIP] Including code in your FocalPoint Post

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post