Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Anyone with a Cluster of WebFOCUS rpt. servers (CLM)? - HTML Composer issue

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Anyone with a Cluster of WebFOCUS rpt. servers (CLM)? - HTML Composer issue
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Anyone with a Cluster of WebFOCUS reporting servers (CLM)?

We have multiple environments, one with only one WF reporting server, others with three WF reporting servers. An HTML Composer page that has multiple dynamic controls takes almost twice as long to load when run in the cluster server environment. Is this possibly because the dynamic requests are run on the different servers and returned to the web server?

Just wondering.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have three chained list boxes dynamically populated by an external fex. Since I have to specify the fex in each of the three controls, may I assume the fex is called three times?

I have four other controls dynamically populated by external fexes.

I have a calendar control dynamically populated by an external fex, and also have specified an external fex to retrieve the min and max allowable dates.

9 fexes to populate the controls. Are these calls spread over the clustered servers? Is that a bad thing?

For this parameter screen I followed the rules and everything but the JavaScript was point-n-click.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Even with the cluster defined, you can aim a request at a particular component server in the cluster. So you can test your hypothesis, by (on the one hand) aiming them (the dynamic calls) all at the same server, and OTOH spreading them out over several.

If the underlying data lie on a relational DB server, perhaps responding to several requests coming on a single connection (as is the case in your Dev environment) works faster than responding to incoming requests on disparate connections.

Let us know (as you generally do).

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I have a clustered environment with a CLM and I don't see any performance issues.

I do have a paticular portal with several controls as well as a Single Source Tree Control displaying product hierarchy information. It performs the same in our non-clustered environment as our clustered.

But if you do find anything, do please share. I am always looking at ways to improve performance.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
Matt, thanks for the feedback.

Jack, are you suggesting I could hard code a IBIC_SERVER variable for each of the calls on the HTML Composer page, or set one for the whole page? I'll give that a try.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hardcode, or Bang in values supplied in a covering fex

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Bypassing CLM may give some performance benefit as you avoid "negotiating" with CLM which Reporting Server should run which .fex; in essence there are less gears to set into motion Smiler However fixing .fexes to run off of a particular IBIC_server defies one of the important purposes of CLM: High Availability.

The idea behind it is that if SERVER1 becomes unavailable due to emergency maintenance or a crash for instance, CLM would direct the requests to SERVER2 instead increasing the availability of your application while making it transparent to users.

Hopefully you can find some other alternatives to improve performance on that particular page without having to sacrifice HA but that balance is not always easy to achieve.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
njsden: Of course. I only proposed it as a stratagem for testing the hypothesis, not for use in production mode. Didn't I make that clear?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack, you did make that clear. Thanks.

Francis