Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Synonym Question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Synonym Question
 Login/Join

posted
When creating a synonym, is there an equivalent to the MORE command used in fex files? In other words, I want to create a new synonym from two existing synonyms. The existing synonyms have the same fields but different data sources. I want my new synonym to have the same number of fields as the existing synonyms but contain the data from both.

How do I go about doing that?

All advice appreciated. Thanks.
STEVE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8207
Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 12 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 02, 2018Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
So you want to concatenate the two identical data structures? What's the DBMS?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One source is an Oracle table and the other is an imported Excel file.

WebFOCUS 8207
Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 12 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 02, 2018Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I doubt you can create a single synonym that does that. The first thing that comes to mind is to create two reports that extract the columns you want and HOLD FORMAT FOCUS. Then apply USE command to virtually concatenate the two hold files.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven L Carter:
One source is an Oracle table and the other is an imported Excel file.

You can create a Synonym off of the imported excel file and join both

oracle table and synonym from the excel. I have done it and it works fine.

Thanks

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Once you have two JOINable synonyms, you should be able to create a 'Clustered Synonym' from that.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think Steve wants to concatenate the two tables not join them.

posted Hide Post
Correct. If I were just writing a request, it would be the MORE command I would use. But since we are talking master files, I'm not sure how to (or if it is even possible to) proceed.

WebFOCUS 8207
Excel, PDF, HTML

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steve

I thought Babak's idea of creating 2 FOCUS hold files and then the USE command for concatenating them was brilliant and a solid answer to your problem.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post