Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] App Studio v8.1.05M - Newbie question 4: Default Help link

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] App Studio v8.1.05M - Newbie question 4: Default Help link
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
The default Help link is set to:

Protocol: HTTP
Host: localhost
Port: 8080
Help Context Root: /ibi_apphelp/index.jsp?

Which becomes:

http://localhost:8080/ibi_apphelp/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibi.help.apps/source/tab_components.htm

Which is woefully inadequate - there's not much there. For example, I'd like to look up the syntax to the DATETRAN function - there is no information on any functions, or any WebFOCUS syntax.

I tried setting the Help Configuration to:

Protocol: HTTP
Host: infocenter.informationbuilders.com
Port: 80
Help Context Root: /wf81rel/index.jsp?

This seems to work, though navigation back seems to be wonky, and I'd have to be connected to the Internet.

Is there an alternative?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis

I have pinged the product manager about this but have not heard back yet.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

My defaults are similar in both our 8.1.05M and 8.2.01M versions of AppStudio but it takes me to or shows the following URL when hitting the question mark in the top right for help:

http://localhost:8080/ibi_apphelp/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibi.help.apps/source/opener.htm

This seems to be the right location for the proper help docs.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Let's say we want to look up the syntax for the DATETRAN function, we type DATETRAN in the default App Studio Help window, and we get... nothing. And nothing for any other function.

Details and syntax about Left Outer Joins? Not much.

This is what you get:

quote:
Left Outer Joins
When a report omits host rows that lack corresponding cross-referenced rows, the join is called an inner join. When a report displays all matching rows plus all rows from the host file that lack corresponding cross-referenced rows, the join is called a left outer join.
For details on left outer join syntax, see the Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language manual.
Note: If the SET ALL=ON or SET ALL=PASS setting is applied, it impacts all joins in the procedure and they are treated as left outer joins.

The 'Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language manual' is referenced, but it's not available from the default App Studio Help.

I will truly miss the Developer Studio Help - it had almost everything you needed, and in a slightly more advanced interface.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I stopped using App Studio's Help, it's worse than useless. It's hard to get to work at all if you don't have a local environment running too.

Instead, I use a web browser to navigate the online documentation (which has it's share of broken links BTW). Added benefit; I can create bookmarks to sections that I need frequently ("Using Functions", "Data Types", "HTML 5 Charts", to name a few).

Unfortunately, apparently IBI sometimes updates the way they organised those pages, so sometimes some of my bookmarks stop working...

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi

I had a WebEx with product manager and showed her the issue. She is going to work on getting a fix for 8.1.05M so all the help is available.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chuck! Can't wait to see the results...

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I second the thanks. Not being able to look up function syntax from App Studio's help is ridiculous.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post