Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Can fex report data drill into an HTML form?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Can fex report data drill into an HTML form?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I'm trying to use the gui to create a report that will drill into an HTML form that i've created and pass a parameter from the data on the report. Seems simple enough, but when I go to select "drill down type" in the options for my report, I can select only .fex's to drill into, or URL's, etc...nothing for HTML forms?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Jason,

Currently the option to drill down to an html form using the GUI does not exist. Please open a case with Information Builders' Customer Support Services and submit this as a New Feature Request (NFR). You may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access the online system InfoResponse. Here is a list of information to be ready when you call: http://techsupport.ibi.com/before_you_call.jsp.

The drill down feature enables you to add one or more layers of detail to a report by embedding procedures into the report. A drill down "procedure" can be:

* Any type of executable object, such as a report or graph.
* A link to a URL from an HTML or PDF report or to a JavaScript from an HTML report.
* A link to a Maintain case (function).
* A link to a Maintain procedure.

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, you can drill down to a focexec that contains the following statement:

-HTMLFORM formname

Where formname.htm contains html code

dwf

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
dwf: could I pass an amper value using that method? I'm not finding anything in the docs for such a thing, but I guess what we're doing is fairly different anyhow.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pass an amper variable to what? You can certainly pass the amper to the fex that contains the -HTMLFORM, though I'm not nearly enough of an HTML horse to know how to make use of it. I guess I'm smart enough to put multiple -HTMLFORM statements in the fex and use the &VAR to choose which one to use, but I don't know how to use it to populate anything in the form itself (Might be able to include or now include a line in the form based on the amper vare. Not sure.)

dwf

Posts: 135 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: March 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry... "include or not include", not "include or now include". And "amper var", not "amper vare". I'm contemplating the concept of reviewing what I write before I post it....... Nah

dwf

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
By the way, to be explicit, I meant something like:

IF &VAR EQ 1 THEN GOTO HTML1 ELSE GOTO HTML2;

-HTML1
-HTMLFORM
"contents of form 1"
-GOTO HTMLEND

-HTML2
-HTMLFORM
"contents of form 2"

-HTMLEND

Not sure if this would work:

-HTMLFORM
"line 1"
"line 2"
-IF &VAR EQ 'X' THEN GOTO LINEX;
"line Y"
-GOTO AFTERX

-LINEX
"line X"

-AFTERX

It might. I just don't know if dialogue manager commands can be embedded in a -HTMLFORM.

dwf

posted Hide Post
Hi Jason,

Any follow up on this issue? Did you have to open a case?

I seem to have run into the same problem and I can't find any documentation as well.

Thanks,

Deric

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deric,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05, UNIX, Oracle, Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 9 | Location: dgriffin@att.com | Registered: January 05, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Deric,

Can you be a bit more specific please? Exactly what problem did you run in to?
Because there are many ways to pass parameters between different components of an application, it'd be helpful to know exactly what you want / need to do.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey GamP,

As you know, I had to come up with a way for users to add projects in a table via an html form. With your help and others, I was able to do that. Thanks again!

Further requirements have been added to allow updates to existing projects (i.e., status, priority, owner, etc.) What I’ve been playing around with is trying to load a record from a drilldown into a form for editing. I don’t know java script and only know just enough html to get into trouble. I was hoping that there was a way to do this within the GUI.

I also need the capability to assign each project with an ID number upon creation of the project. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that would help as well.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05, UNIX, Oracle, Excel, PDF, HTML

Posts: 9 | Location: dgriffin@att.com | Registered: January 05, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well, can't you use the same method of retrieving your variables with this drilldown? After all, it is not much different from the webfocus point of view. To webfocus it does not matter if a variable came froman html form or from a drilldown. In both cases the variables are available in the fex as &-vars. Possibly the only thing that needs to be changed is the drilldown itself. If it now is linking to a url, then you'd have to change that to have it point to a fex that would do the things you need to do. Upon completion you could then have it go to the url that was originally in the drilldown.

As for assigning an ID number to a project, I assume that this concerns a database that contains records on the various different projects in your company. It depends a bit on what type of database this is. For instance, a DB2 or MSSQL or ORACLE databse has the capability to automatically assign the next available number to a field within a table. These fields are called identity fields.
But if you need to define a number yourself, then I would create a mechanism that will retrieve the highest current ID from the database, add 1, and use that number for the new project.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
to be fair deric this is more a straight HTML/Javascript request - there is so much out there on the web about these that you may be better off going and doing a bit of learning about the two- neither are particularly difficult and you'll probably get more out of it then asking here, you may get an answer here but its not really a WebFOCUS question...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
jason --

See Passing Amper Values to JavaScript Code

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post