Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Runaway CDE.EXE
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello all,

Has anyone noticed cde.exe using way more memory than it should need to? During development sessions I've seen this process using as much 500 MB of RAM. I've seen my page file balloon to over 2 GB at times, bringing my PC to a screeching halt. The only solution is to completely exit Maintain, and wait for cde.exe to quit. Once it quits my page file will return to a more normal 400-500 MB, and my computer regains it's responsiveness. It seems as if the more times that I deploy during a given session the worse it gets. I'm not sure what version of Maintain I'm running, because when I look at the "About" in the MDE it just tells me the WebFOCUS version which is 7.6.2. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this type of behavior? It's real annoying.

Thanks

Bryan Johnson
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Maintain
Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Maintain has had a history of memory leaks, and can chew up huge amounts of memory.

I haven't used maintain on 7.6, but 7.1, 5.x all did it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Is this problem so much a "memory leak" as it is simply not de-allocating memory ?

Are you making changes to structures continually without exiting the editor, and re-entering ?

Maintain may be building internal "scaffolding" as you work, which needs to be removed (i.e.: "compacted") ?

It's possible that Maintain automatically does this on exiting, so if you work too long, it never gets a chance to reclaim all that memory ?

WF 7.6.4 & 5.3
Charles Lee

posted Hide Post
Let's not forget DASH-INCLUDE!

Marc

Master
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see this behavior in the current version of the MDE (7.65) but do know we have had problems in the past. Doing an about inside the MDE should tell you the version.

If you have a specific activity that duplicates this behavior, please let me know and I will investigate further.

Thank you
Mark Derwin

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The Maintain version is 762. Also, it seems no specific behavior causes this, just when the MDE is left open for a while and I deploy 3-4 times. This usually happens when I'm trying to debug something. I'll make a change, then deploy to see if it worked. If it didn't work it's back to the MDE to try something else, with another deploy. Each successive deploy takes longer and longer. Eventually it gets so bad that I have to close out of the MDE and reopen to get things back up to speed.

Bryan Johnson
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Maintain
Win 7
Excel, PDF, HTML