Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Creating Report from excel file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Creating Report from excel file
 Login/Join

<trhogan>
posted
Hi,

I currently have a requirement for a web focus report that requires an excel file to be its data source. I not sure if this is possible, or if I can use a .csv file instead. I know it requires a file def, but I'm not sure how to create the hold file from that. Can some one help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You do have to use a .CSV file. You master has to have a Suffix of COMT.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<trhogan>
posted
Hi,

Does these snippet look ok. I think I have to create a hold file then mod the master file after. Am I right on this assumption.

I'm not sure of the steps.

FILEDEF TESTCSV DISK C:\IBI\APPS\SALES_REPORTS_PORT\TESTCSV.csv
TABLE FILE TESTCSV
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS TESTCSVHOLD
END
TABLE FILE TESTCSVHOLD
PRINT *
END

I get an error from this snippet

(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED

Can you please help

Thanks in advance
Trevor

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try running it without holding it to see if the error is in referece to the .CSV file. Then if that's the case...you have a problem with the Master.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<trhogan>
posted
I still have the same problem

this is my code

FILEDEF TESTCSV DISK C:\IBI\APPS\SALES_REPORTS_PORT\TESTCSV.csv
TABLE FILE TESTCSV
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD
END
TABLE FILE TESTCSV
PRINT *
END

any suggestions

Report This Post
<trhogan>
posted
During the test I deleted the hold peace of code.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you wrote a master file description for your csv file, and it is in the app path.

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
If you want to use Excel as a data source then it has to be set up as an Excel or ODBC datasource on the server.
The metadata can then be generated directly from the Excel and it can be reported against just like another datasource.

Report This Post
<trhogan>
posted
Hi,

How do I create an excel data source? In the adapters section I do not see an excel adapter. Also I created a master file using the master file tool, but I'm its still not working. I'm at a lose on this one, I don't know what to try next. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Trevor

Report This Post
<JG>
posted
1st You must set up the Excel in the ODBC datasources in Windows (the method varies on which version of Microsoft server your using), The Excel file must either reside on the server or be on a mapped drive for the server.

2nd 'VERY IMPORTANT' WebFocus works using named ranges with Excel so you must set a named range in the spread sheet AND the 1st row MUST contain column titles, which will become your field names in WebFocus.

3rd In the WebFocus Administrator console select ODBC as your data source and follow the instructions.

4th Look at the master produced and adjust the lengths of the fields as required. (WebFocus has a habit of taking A256 for alpha along with a few other quirks)

Report This Post
<trhogan>
posted
Hey,

Thanks you very much, that worked like a charm, excellent.

Just one more question, If I want to read a csv file, is there anyway to do it from webfocus using filedef's and hold files?

Thanks again for all your help

Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Problem with a CSV file is that Excel (and most programs including WebFocus) do not terminate the row with a �,$�
That means that WebFocus cannot treat it as a comma delimited file which it can read very easily.
If you can force �,$� onto the end of the row, then WebFocus can use it.
The alternative is that it must be a fixed length file that a WebFocus master can map with.
Or if you use the COM format then you need to add SET PCOMMA=ON before your table request

Report This Post